Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 09:54:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brand new to all of this, might be a dumb question (Read 14380 times)
utdjjer
Ex Member

Brand new to all of this, might be a dumb question
02/05/07 at 18:08:25

Good morning everyone.. I have really enjoyed reading all of your posts, and gathering information.  I have decided to venture into building a set.. (probably 2 sets) of HDT's for my Home Theater.  I am going to purchase the plans today, and will probably be building them ith Baltic birch insides and Rustic Cherry Veneers on the out.  I enjoy woodworking (work at a architectural cabinet shop) and enjoy Home Theater and Audio

Please forgive me if i ask stupid questions, as I dont fully understand everything.  i just want an amazing sounding speaker.  

Q1 - Am i going to need a new amp/receiver for the HDT's.  ultimately i understand to achieve perfection i would, but can i plug these into my current receiver?
Q2 - i was planning on building a 12" Deathbox to pair with the HDT's in my Home Theater?  is this wise?  overkill?  Cool?  lame?

i am sure i will come up with more... again,  Thanks in advance for all the help and ideas.

Jeremy

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: Brand new to all of this, might be a dumb ques
Reply #1 - 02/05/07 at 22:45:53

Jeremy,

No stupid questions here, and hopefully no stupid answers....If you don't ask the questions you'll never have the answers and that is what the forum is all about.

Sure you can use th HDT's with your current receiver, it might sound fantastic yet it could have an edginess to it, the HDT's are a very revealing speaker.

But you an always switch amps at a later date.

I've used the DBK212 for home theater and my main  system for a four years  now, its a great sub, actually its in the shop collecting dust, haven't found I've needed a sub for some time now.

Bob

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Falconer
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 02/06/07 at 01:59:00

Hello utdjjer, zygi is right, no stupid questions here. Zygi and others will be able to answer any question you have as you build the speakers. Zygi builds them for Decware. If you take your time and follow the plans carefully you won't have any problems Grin. Mine came ok. Which model of the hdt are you building?

HDT Alt Tuning, ZMC1, ZDSD, ZSB, REL Subwoofer, Audio Electronic AE-3 Preamp, Audio Electronic PH-1 Phono Preamp, Audio Electronic SE-811 Amp, (2)Otari MX-5050Bii-2, Otari MTR-10, (2)Otari MTR-12, Linn Sondek LP-12 with Krystal MC cartridge
  IP Logged
utdjjer
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/06/07 at 02:16:56

um..... i dont know?  according to the website there is only 1... that i can see.. whats the difference.. and i will tell you.

Oh.. a couple of more questions.  Would there be a difference in sound if i build the box with a v-fold versus a butt joint?  (v-fold is a 45 deg joint?  any thoughts?  

Also, i am on a bit of a budget and was wondering if any other driver would work.. while i try and save for the DFR-8.

IP Logged
Falconer
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 02/06/07 at 13:07:44

If I remember correctly  ??? there is the HDT with original tuning, then Steve came out with the Alternate Tuning (which lengthen the tubes inside and had different PRs). Next came HDT MKII which I think went back to the original tuning plus it changed the driver and added a tweeter. If I have any of this wrong someone else will be able to correct me.
I built mine using the butt joint, it's easier to do than cutting 45° bevels on the edges and getting them to all line up. Cry

HDT Alt Tuning, ZMC1, ZDSD, ZSB, REL Subwoofer, Audio Electronic AE-3 Preamp, Audio Electronic PH-1 Phono Preamp, Audio Electronic SE-811 Amp, (2)Otari MX-5050Bii-2, Otari MTR-10, (2)Otari MTR-12, Linn Sondek LP-12 with Krystal MC cartridge
  IP Logged
utdjjer
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/06/07 at 13:40:48

Ah, gotcha.  Well i think i am doing the original.. but i will probably put a DFR-8 driver in there.  unless someone can recommend something different.  I am so excited to start building.  I spent last night entering info so i could try and get all the panels cut today at work (what?  who me?  doing personal projects at work?  Ha Ha!)  Anyway, once i have everything cut, i will start taking some photos, and post them for everyone.

I do have another question about the build.  On one of the pages (cab2) it appears that the top, bottom, and port plate are slightly recesses into the sides of the cabinet.  Is this correct, or am I looking TOO closley to the drawings?  i didnt see anywhere else where is mentioned running a dado on the sides of the cabinet.  Any thoughts from anyone?  Besides the obvious of not having nail and screw holes going through the side of your cabinet, would there be any other advantage? I suppose I could pocket screw the port plate to the sides. hmmmmmm  just thinking outloud. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/06/07 at 15:54:59

You are correct, The port ,top and bottom are recesed the same as the sides Grin

I think the main benefit is you get more area for glue and a tighter fit. I didn´t use any screews on the HDT´s just glue. Less sanding at least. But I did have to build some simple clamps to get things to work.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #7 - 02/06/07 at 16:14:44

Jeremy,

The sides are rabbeted into the front and back, and the port plate is dadoed into the front, both sides, and I use a stop dado on the back so the port remains the same depth all the way around.

I use pocket screws to secure the top and bottom in to the rabbets, and the port plate is just glued in.

Falconer is correct, there are three versions of the HDT, other than the port lengths, the cabinet is the same. It takes different passives with the HDT, and the HDTmkII taking the same passives and the HDT alt tune using a different passive, and longer port tubes on the port plate.

Falconer.....how did you butt joint the inside "X", thats interesting.

Bob

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Falconer
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 02/06/07 at 17:20:27

Hi Zygi, I butt jointed the sides not the "X". The "X" i did as you suggested back when I was building my set. I cut the 45° and kept moving my fence closer to the blade to get a snug fit when I put the "X" into the cabinet and used polyurethane glue to secure it. I built the HDT Alternate Tuning. I want to make the HDT MK II, but I'm about to lose my workshop (getting married and will be moving).

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/06/07 at 20:43:29

[quote author=Falconer  link=1170702506/0#8 date=1170782427] I'm about to lose my workshop (getting married and will be moving). [/quote]

Gaining a wife but loosing your life uh? Wink

IP Logged
Falconer
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 02/06/07 at 22:55:07

Won't lose it to long Rap. She has already given the go ahead for a new shop at the new house. Grin

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/06/07 at 23:41:17

[quote author=Falconer  link=1170702506/0#10 date=1170802507]Won't lose it to long Rap. She has already given the go ahead for a new shop at the new house. Grin [/quote]

Good on yah mate Grin I just found the rhyme to be irrisistable Embarrassed

Holy hole in a doughnut, Rap  ;)

IP Logged
Falconer
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 02/07/07 at 14:20:41

I'm looking foward to getting to design my own workshop instead of using one that someone else design/built. This way I get to have everything arranged like I like it. Cheesy

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/07/07 at 16:30:54

[quote author=Falconer  link=1170702506/0#12 date=1170858041]I'm looking foward to getting to design my own workshop instead of using one that someone else design/built. This way I get to have everything arranged like I like it. Cheesy [/quote]

Ahh but the mess there, will stil be your fault Wink Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print