Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 13:38:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HDT Enclosure Build Questions (Read 10373 times)
BBM3
Ex Member

HDT Enclosure Build Questions
02/03/07 at 21:57:56

Hello All
I placed an order this week for HDT drivers, kit as well as a SE34I.2

While I wait for the hardware, I am building the HDT enclosures.

Q1:  The drawing notes for the elliptical ports state to use a series of 1/2” holes to cut the ellipse and leave the jagged edge.
Is this for sonic reasons?
I had planned to cut the ellipsis with a saber saw and use a 3/8” round over bit on both sides.

Q2: The 3 x 2 1/4 rear port as drawn looks like the top edge is somewhere near the center of the port plate. Is this correct?

Q3: Maybe a stupid question however I want to make sure I have it right….
The open ‘V’ in the top plate faces to the rear correct?

Any help and suggestions will be most appreciated.

Thanks
-Bill

IP Logged
Young_SC
Seasoned Member

I love Decware 1G -
SP1!

Re: HDT Enclosure Build Questions
Reply #1 - 02/03/07 at 22:59:51

Hi Bill,

I'll answer Q3 for you.  

The V is at the back.  There are 4 internal triangular shaped chambers which sit on top of the bottom chamber.  The sound fills the front 3 chamber and go through the ports into the bottom chamber (the plate that separates all these chambers also has a rear facing V in it).  This then fires out the top of the speaker and hits the top plate.

Simon

Marantz CD 63KI (modded)
Monica 2 DAC with I/V output stage
ZBox
Decware SE84CEX
Homebuilt HDT's with doughnuts
Enamelled copper wire IC's with Eichmann plugs
Enamelled copper wire speaker cables
Young_SC   IP Logged
Ella Pualani
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/03/07 at 23:11:47

Bill

Q1: Yes, its done that way for sonic reasons....You don't need to leave it to rough sand a little of the loose stuff off of were it breaks out

Q2:  The top of the port is the same line as the top of the port plate.

Q3:   Simon is correct.

IP Logged
BBM3
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/03/07 at 23:34:36

WOW!!!
Thanks for the quick replies.
Even though it would be much easier / accurate to cut the ellipses with a saber saw I will follow the plan.

Thank you
-Bill

IP Logged
utdjjer
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/05/07 at 19:41:36

how much is to be gained or lost by cutting the ellipses out on my CNC machine?  Any idea?  Minimal?
Thanks,
Jeremy

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #5 - 02/05/07 at 20:30:43

Jeremy,

Cutting it on the CNC will be fine, it will cut out the notches and still form the oval with the same effect. Much like making a cutout for square corners, where the bit travels out at a 45 from the 90 to remove the radius of the bit.

Bob

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
utdjjer
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/05/07 at 20:38:54

OK, Thanks, I think i didnt phrase my question right.. but i have answered it anyway.. I was wondereing what would be gained or lost, buy cutting the ellipses out so that they are smooth.. vs. drilling mutiple 1/2" holes and then breaking them out.  But since the CNC machine will be drilling the holes anyway.. i am just going to program it to drill mutiple holes..then break it out as instructed.

Thanks,  

Jeremy

IP Logged
Falconer
Seasoned Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 02/06/07 at 17:25:24

I got anal with the ellipses on mine. I autocad a scale drawing of the ellipse with the 1/2" holes evenly spaced around the edge. I drill the holes and then jigsawed the center out. That way both speakers are the same.

HDT Alt Tuning, ZMC1, ZDSD, ZSB, REL Subwoofer, Audio Electronic AE-3 Preamp, Audio Electronic PH-1 Phono Preamp, Audio Electronic SE-811 Amp, (2)Otari MX-5050Bii-2, Otari MTR-10, (2)Otari MTR-12, Linn Sondek LP-12 with Krystal MC cartridge
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #8 - 02/07/07 at 13:11:40

Falconer,

I remember you doing that, I think you even posted the drawing on the forum. Thats was a good idea!!  

I had my wife drilling the holes around the ellipse one day, after she got though with 3 or 4 of them she looked at me and said "there has got to be a better way"  I found one and it works well. If you are doing one pair, then the drill and knock out works well enough, but when you do several pair at a time, we usually build 8 pr at once, it can get a little tedious, why do you think I had her drilling the holes. Anyway cut out your ellipse then with a 1/2" router bit bump it into the edge of the ellipse about 1/2 way into the bit. Its very fast and gives a cleaner edge, I.E. there are no loose bits of wood that can fall off over years of sevice or during shipping, something we have to think about.

Bob

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/07/07 at 13:22:19

[quote author=Falconer  link=1170543476/0#7 date=1170782724]I got anal with the ellipses on mine. I autocad a scale drawing of the ellipse with the 1/2" holes evenly spaced around the edge. I drill the holes and then jigsawed the center out. That way both speakers are the same. [/quote]

I did mine the same way Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print