Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 19:11:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CSP to CSP2 upgrade now available ! (Read 30443 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

CSP to CSP2 upgrade now available !
01/22/07 at 21:48:19

Finally, we are now able to offer an upgrade for CSP owners that changes it to a CSP2.  

A little background:

You would think that building the CSP2 circuit in the CSP chassis would be a no brainer, but this is never the case when chassis and layouts are changed - regardless of the circuits - at least in my experience.  Besides actually changing how the circuit sounds, often noise and or hum issues have to be dealt with any time  a drastic change, such as a chassis, is undertaken.

This was (as expected) the case when the first CSP to CSP2 upgrade was attempted.  It has taken a considerable amount of time to re-engineer the layout and grounding scheme to achieve the same net result as just buying a CSP2 in the first place.  We are after all dealing with a steel chassis (CSP) vs. an aluminum chassis (CSP2).  The steel chassis are magnetic while the aluminum are not.  This completely changes the eddy currents that are induced in the chassis from magnetic fields and consequently the grounding topology.  

ANYWAY - it has been done successfully and I now know what is involved time wise and what the end results will be.

PRICES - The mod will completely gut the inside of the CSP and rebuild it as a CSP2.  The costs are as follows:

Convert CSP to CSP2 without headphone jack is going to be $275.00 - not the $400 we projected.  This is thanks to our expertise and skill at soldering.

Convert CSP to CSP2 WITH headphone jack is going to be $325.00.

RESULTS

The changes you will experience are as follows:

A richer sound with more weight.

A better frequency balance with less midrange and treble highlighting.  

Better overall musicality.

10dB more dynamic range at any given volume level.

10dB lower noise floor.

Lower THD by a full decimal point.

Steve Grin

WWW   IP Logged
charlieboy
Ex Member

Re: CSP to CSP2 upgrade now available !
Reply #1 - 01/23/07 at 06:36:01

Very Cool!

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/23/07 at 18:28:44

This is very good news, indeed!

Karl

IP Logged
rmt
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/24/07 at 00:49:06

Will the mono output be available on the upgrade?  I prefer that to the headphone output.

IP Logged
rayd
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/24/07 at 10:07:05

*** SOLD ***

I have a CSP for sale that I am not using if anyone wants to take advantage of Steve's upgrades.

$399 including base + 3% Paypal. I will pay for shipping (insured) to you or Steve. Includes:  (1) Sovtek 5Y3GT and (3) Sovtek 6922's, manual, and power cord.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/24/07 at 20:03:39

Howdy Ray,

Check your PM .....  :)

Randy

IP Logged
rayd
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/24/07 at 21:16:07

Hi Randy, sent you a reply Smiley

Thanks,

- Ray

IP Logged
Zygi
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/25/07 at 00:58:49

My CSP was the guinea pig.....it will be here tomorrow....I can't wait!!!

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/25/07 at 02:06:20

Howdy Bob,

Please let us know your impressions ..... Wink

The reason I am interested in Ray's CSP is that it matches my Select and hardwood base.  As much as I appreciate the stunning good looks of the new style gear, the old style will look a lot more "comfortable" sitting next to my amp and base ..... Smiley

I decided a while back that I wanted one of the Decware preamps, but when the new CSP2 came out I was hesitant because of the cosmetic mismatch.  Steve's decision to do an upgrade of the original CSP is great news to me.

In the near future, I will be posting about a new audio acquisition that requires a top shelf preamp ..... stay tuned ..... ???

Best wishes,

Randy

IP Logged
Zygi
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/25/07 at 03:20:11

Randy,

I sure will give all my impressions. I'm finally getting my new room close to being finished. Its really sounding  pretty good right now, it has a way to go for tonal balance, I worked on bass traps tonight, still have a few more to build, but I feel I'm getting closer to a great listening environment.

My CSP is in the original silver chassis which was to match my Select monos built in the silver chassis, which is why I wanted to stick with it in the old style as well.

I can't wait to hear about your new acquisition.....

BobZ

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #10 - 01/28/07 at 19:36:55

Please be patient with Bob's response as he has now heard the CSP2 upgrade on his CSP.  I happen to know it caused a series of epiphanies that all need a day or two to filter out before he comments on it's sound.

As an example, his comment in the previous post about his room: "Its really sounding  pretty good right now, it has a way to go for tonal balance"  are likely being re-thought.

WWW   IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/29/07 at 17:31:19

surely there must be previous owners of the CSP who sold and bought a CSP2 prior to this upgrade being released?  What say you?  What difference(s) do you hear?

IP Logged
rmt
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/29/07 at 21:13:12

[quote author=rmt  link=1169506099/0#3 date=1169599746]Will the mono output be available on the upgrade?  I prefer that to the headphone output. [/quote]

I really don't like to repeat myself, but I just have to know.

IP Logged
magicsound
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/02/07 at 20:39:46

[quote author=Steve Deckert  link=1169506099/0#0 date=1169502499]Finally, we are now able to offer an upgrade for CSP owners that changes it to a CSP2.  

A little background:

You would think that building the CSP2 circuit in the CSP chassis would be a no brainer, but this is never the case when chassis and layouts are changed - regardless of the circuits - at least in my experience.  Besides actually changing how the circuit sounds, often noise and or hum issues have to be dealt with any time  a drastic change, such as a chassis, is undertaken.

This was (as expected) the case when the first CSP to CSP2 upgrade was attempted.  It has taken a considerable amount of time to re-engineer the layout and grounding scheme to achieve the same net result as just buying a CSP2 in the first place.  We are after all dealing with a steel chassis (CSP) vs. an aluminum chassis (CSP2).  The steel chassis are magnetic while the aluminum are not.  This completely changes the eddy currents that are induced in the chassis from magnetic fields and consequently the grounding topology.  

ANYWAY - it has been done successfully and I now know what is involved time wise and what the end results will be.

PRICES - The mod will completely gut the inside of the CSP and rebuild it as a CSP2.  The costs are as follows:

Convert CSP to CSP2 without headphone jack is going to be $275.00 - not the $400 we projected.  This is thanks to our expertise and skill at soldering.

Convert CSP to CSP2 WITH headphone jack is going to be $325.00.

RESULTS

10dB lower noise floor.

WARNINGS

If you are interested in the headphone option you should understand up front that like the CSP2, the headphone ouput is killer good sounding on anything from Grado 32 ohms to Sens at 600 ohms up to a normal listening level (1/2 volume on the volume control).  It will not get louder then that with headphones without distortion, so if you like headphones to be on the loud side you will probably be dissatisfied.

If you have no plans to use headphones then get the mod without the headphone jack.  The line level outputs will actually sound about 5% better then if the headphone option is added.

Steve Grin [/quote]

Does this mean my csp will look like the new csp2? you know, new chassis and the wood frame?

IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 02/02/07 at 21:08:09

[quote author=magicsound  link=1169506099/0#13 date=1170448786]

Does this mean my csp will look like the new csp2? you know, new chassis and the wood frame? [/quote]

"You would think that building the CSP2 circuit in the CSP chassis would be a no brainer,"

"We are after all dealing with a steel chassis (CSP) vs. an aluminum chassis (CSP2)."  

I believe that is a no.

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, SE34.I, Zbox
  IP Logged
magicsound
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 02/03/07 at 07:55:06

"PRICES - The mod will completely gut the inside of the CSP and rebuild it as a CSP2.  The costs are as follows: "

This is how I understood it from...rebuild it into the old chassis or the new one????

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 02/03/07 at 15:38:27

I think it's going to be in the old chassis. . .the price would be higher for a new one.  I would think if you want the new chassis, you buy a new one.

I asked Steve to build me a CSP2 in the old chassis so that it will match the rest of my Decware components. . . and he agreed. . . so I'm officially waiting! Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 02/03/07 at 15:55:26

Congrats on the order Lon. What made you decide to take the plunge and get the CSP2?         Dave Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 02/03/07 at 17:16:44

Well. . . Karl planted the seed telling me how good his system sounds with the CSP. . . . I believe him.  Why would he lie? Wink

And I have moved the system out into the living room now, and it sounds great. . . . The missing link is tying the tv to the stereo.  I of course listen to dvds through the DEC685.  But I would need a preamp to tie the vcr output to the system.

I can't imagine getting any other preamp but a Decware one.  Can't really afford the CSP, but I can't really afford a ZTPre which would be my dream preamp.  So since Steve has agreed to build me one with the black chassis, I went for it.  Opted NOT to have the headphone jack.  I use headphones only with my laptop and my iPod.  I plan to have both the ZBox and the CSP2 sitting side by side on Cardas Mytrlewood blocks on top of my DEC685.  My Dec685 and my EL34 Monoblocks sit on separate shelves in my Mapleshade Samson rack, on top of Triplepoints, on top of maple platforms on top of IsoBlocks.  The CSP2 should be the final key to a system I'll enjoy for years.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 02/03/07 at 17:35:55

Very nice Lon and good to see your able to get all settled back in with your system. The CSP2  looks like a nice addition to round off what you have and I bet will take things to another level. Looking forward to your review when all is ready.....       Dave Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #20 - 02/03/07 at 17:45:06

Me too!  ;)

I just hope I don't get stuck in Houston for weeks and weeks when it comes.  I'm going up there a bit before I should have it, and we should be back before it arrives, but I never know what we will find in Houston, so. . . here's hoping!  (For a lot of reasons, besides the CSP2).

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #21 - 02/03/07 at 17:45:21

[quote author=DaveCan  link=1169506099/15#19 date=1170524155]  Very nice Lon and good to see your able to get all settled back in with your system. The CSP2  looks like a nice addition to round off what you have and I bet will take things to another level. Looking forward to your review when all is ready.....
Dave Smiley
[/quote]

Ditto!

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
Brad
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 02/15/07 at 03:52:02

Steve Deckert wrote on 01/22/07 at 21:48:19:
Finally, we are now able to offer an upgrade for CSP owners that changes it to a CSP2.  

RESULTS

10dB lower noise floor.

Steve Grin

Steve, can you expand upon this?  What do you mean by "richer sound with more weight"?
Is this a bloom in the midrange?  Is this a different voicing, perhaps using different caps, that smooths the treble a bit and brings out more of the mids and lower mids?  With less treble highlighting is there much loss of detail or imaging (I can't imagine you would be happy with this if it did). And "better overall musicality"... I know that's a tough one to describe... ???
What modifications did you do to the design/circuit to accomplish this?  

I know when I swapped the caps in mine to Mundorf silver/oil I heard a smoothing of the sound, yet with more detail and "musicality" for lack of a better word.

WWW   IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #23 - 02/15/07 at 15:11:03

Brad,

I'll  try to answer this, from what I hear, not why it's changed......

First off, when Steve first built the CSP2 and told me how good it was, I didn't jump on the band wagon and buy one, I was completely satisfied with the CSP, other than the head phone feature, I didn't think it was going to make that much of a difference. Steve also did not want to modify my CSP because I had built mine, and it was my first build, and I was a bit proud of it. Then we figured I could build my own CSP2 some day, and we kind of left it at that for a while, then a phone call from Steve, telling me the difference was someone buying a pair of speakers, and someone telling me they'd think about it.  I'm not sure this is a money making thing on his part, half the time in the evening when I talk to Steve, its late and he's still out soldering on amps.  The best part for me was getting an 8, on a scale of 1-10 for my work, I was happy!!!! Cool  

Richer sound with more weight...I think that is due to the more dynamics, the mids to lower mids are cleaner with more leading edge snap, yet the sustain lingers like it should. This is really evident with piano, every key stroke is sharp with the attack and it just lingers on, never being covered up with he next note.  The mid and upper bass is much snappier, more defined, which is what Steve mentioned in his post, I had a real bad "ROOM BOOM" problem with my room, until the CSP2 came along, so all the work I had done to get rid of it, and didn't help much, then its just gone, really had me pulling hairs for a few days.

Low bass I can only say, has gotten better tighter more defined, but my room still has a way to go, as more traps are needed.

The highs are just smoother, not less of them, from what I'm hearing. Voices with recorded room ambiance, the air the ambiance are all the same just smoother. Katie Melua CD's seem to have a bit to much recorded sibilance, I loved the CD but at times the sibilance was annoying, now its so smooth it doesn't annoy any more, its just there.

Imaging has not taken a back seat, if anything, its gotten better, not in the sense of wider taller or depth, its more focused. I kind of liken it to, going from regular TV to HD TV.  Instruments in the background have such clarity,  if you focus on them, you can tell its ten violins, there not smeared in any way, they all have there space with nothing covering them up.

I guess I'm like 95% of all the audio guys out there, when we get something new, we put in every favorite CD we have, to see if there is a difference or not, when I got the CSP2 finally up and running, I sat down with a CD that has 17 tracks, and track 17 is my favorite, I'm so lazy at times rather than finding the "10" button and the "7" and hitting play I just keep hitting the forward button till i get to track 17. Well the first day with the CSP2 I hit play, I was so astounded with what I heard, I listened to all 17 tracks, something I can't think of, ever happening before.

When I first got the CSP2, I was listening to the MG944's on the Torii-II, using the MG's was to set the room up, while they image great, they're no comparison to the imaging of the RL-3's and the RL-3's being much more room friendly will image good in a bad room. Also during the day, I run EH el-34 tubes in my amp, not to put to many hours on my good tubes, I was so impressed with what I heard, is was totally shocked, when I realized I had a crappy sounding pair of tubes that were amazing me. I was afraid for a couple of days, actually a week, to change anything in the set up, thinking what if the RL-3's don't sound as good as the MG's, that would be a complete let down, something I didn't want to find out. When I finally got the balls to try it, i wasn't let down, thank God, that would have ruined my day.

I've since tried the CSP with he Taboo, I've been listening to it with the RL-3's for a couple of nights now, great synergy with this combo as well, in fact better than I thought it would be, I've never thought the Taboo had it with the 3's  I would still think the Taboo/ HDT would be even better, i'm trying to finish a pair of HDT's right now so I can give that a go. Before i sold the Select strapped Monos to RAP the CSP really made them sing, in fact they sounded so good I didn't want to sell them, I just wonder how that would go today if I had them.

I had also found, both Torii's not to show any great improvement with the CSP, at least not like the Mono's had improved, i wish I still had Torii-I here to try it, but it sure is synergistic with my Torii-II, and will always be in front of it.

Bob

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 02/15/07 at 15:19:28

Bob, thanks for weighing in. . . . Makes me hungry to hear my CSP2 soon! Smiley

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #25 - 02/15/07 at 17:30:28

Lon,

You're going to love it.....since I wrote the last post, i went into my listening room were the amps were warming up. Just for grins i tried the "lucid mode on the Taboo with the RL-3's. WOW is all I can say!!!   I only ever used lucid mode with the everything other than the 3's as it was just a bit too much, far fetched, if you know what I mean.

Man, I've got to get to work..... Cry

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #26 - 02/15/07 at 18:52:22

Darn you, Zyg,

I hope Steve doesn't mind the csp>>csp2 upgrade process too much, as he's soon to have another one on the bench...

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #27 - 02/15/07 at 19:13:15

Karl,

Sorry about that, but it really is worth mentioning how much improved the CSP2 is. Wink

Truly, the only reason I sent mine in was for the Headphone section. Funny thing, I haven't plugged the headphones in, yet.

Bob

IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 02/15/07 at 19:27:04

veryoldcat wrote on 02/15/07 at 18:52:22:
Darn you, Zyg,

I hope Steve doesn't mind the csp>>csp2 upgrade process too much, as he's soon to have another one on the bench...

Karl

That upgrade would be my CSP, Karl.  It should arrive at Decware today.  

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #29 - 02/15/07 at 21:04:58

The CSP that I recently purchased from Ray is also awaiting its turn on Steve's operating table ..... Cool

I might also offer this thought .....

Two years ago, when I heard the Parker Audio Crusader / SO Imperial combo at the DecFest, I was absolutely bowled over by the sound.  In addition to the amazing presentation of the "recorded space", the sound was very palpable and dynamic.

After having a pair of SO Imperials built, I have been very much pleased with the sound in my system.  My front end does some things better than the front end we heard at the DecFest ..... however, I am not getting the "sense of scale" and the dynamics that I heard in Steve's room .....

The only major difference is that we were using a CSP with the Select at the DecFest.  I have been strongly opposed to active preamps in times past because the majority of the ones I have heard (even costly ones) got between me and the music ..... but, Steve has been telling me for a long time that I will be pleasantly surprised with a Decware pre.

Since Steve and Zygi feel so strongly that the CSP2 is better than the original CSP .... I am looking forward to something truly special when the CSP2 is added to my existing system ..... Smiley

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #30 - 02/15/07 at 21:21:04

Randy, I too have never really enjoyed the sound of a preamp in front of my system compared to no preamp. . . . Reading this forum however convinced me that the Decware preamps have to be different, and I'm eage to experience the difference.

IP Logged
Brad
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 02/17/07 at 22:06:40

Randy, you ARE using the cryo treated Russian mil-spec tubes, RIGHT? Smiley
This could also be a difference between your setup and Steves... and they do make a noticable difference... at least everyone (including Steve) agrees this is the case with the SV83's (6n15n-EB).

P.S. Man! you guys are quick out of the gate.  Already Randy has 3 times the number of posts I have, and of course Lon is way out in front and pulling away from the pack Wink

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #32 - 02/17/07 at 22:22:49

Well, it's the quality, not the quantity. Hard to compete with "The Demi!"

Anyway. . . I'm now poster #10 in quantity, so . . . I'm not even trying harder, like Avis.  :)

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #33 - 03/01/07 at 17:14:48

Brad wrote on 02/17/07 at 22:06:40:
Randy, you ARE using the cryo treated Russian mil-spec tubes, RIGHT? Smiley
This could also be a difference between your setup and Steves... and they do make a noticable difference... at least everyone (including Steve) agrees this is the case with the SV83's (6n15n-EB).

Hey Brad,

Good to hear from you .....  :)

I am using the Russian mil-spec tubes ..... but, they are not cryoed ..... Sad

Do you have a source for the cryoed 6n15n-EBs ..... ?
I am using a cryoed 6H23 for a driver tube and have compared it to a stock 6H23 ..... no contest.
If the cryoed version of the 6n15n-EB makes as big of a difference, I need to get some.

I got some good news today ..... my CSP2 shipped and will be here on Friday.

This should be a good weekend .....  8-)

Best wishes,

Randy

PS ..... is there any chance that you will make it to the HornFest ..... ?  

WWW   IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #34 - 03/06/07 at 20:59:30

I posted the following in a thread on the General Forum ..... but since the news of the CSP mod started here, I thought this info should be posted here as well .....

As I mentioned previously, I have never been a big fan of active preamps.  Most of the ones I tried over the years created a "haze" over the music that I simply could not ignore ..... even some of the more costly ones.

Steve Deckert suggested a couple of years ago trying one of his preamps in my system, saying that I might be pleasantly surprised.  The Camelot Uther DAC that I have been using for the past few years was designed to be used without an additional preamplifier ..... and I had the factory bump up the output voltage to 4+ volts.  Since it has remote volume and balance control in the analog domain, I felt that I was good to go.

Based on the first few hours of listening, I would have to say that Steve is telling it straight about the CSP2.  The first thing I did was play a couple of familiar well recorded tracks with cymbals.  Good news ..... the shimmer and delicacy was intact ..... and better yet, the body of the cymbal was much more evident than without the CSP2 ..... fuller and more realistic sounding with better presence.

In fact, the presence of all instruments and vocals is greatly improved.  The dynamic contrast is much better as well.  I'm thinking that it was Zygi who said that the CSP2 improved the instruments at the back of the soundstage ..... improving the clarity.  I can vouch for that.  It's now easier to follow all of the instruments and vocals in a recording.

The tonal balance is much more natural.  As an example, the body of an acoustic guitar is now in much better balance with the strings.

The CSP2 works very well with my new Zanden DAC, which only puts out 1 volt.  Out of curiosity, I put the Camelot Uther back in the system ..... first with the CSP2 and then without it.  Despite the fact the Uther was made to work by its lonesome, it sounded a little "dead" after the CSP2 was removed.  Since I make no claims as to knowing why this would be the case, I won't try to explain the reason ..... but I have no reservation in saying that the CSP2 made the Uther sound better ..... a lot better.

The only "downside" I have found to this point is the tendency to push the Select a little too hard.  With the nicer tonal balance, the temptation to crank up the volume is very real.  Running the Parker Audio Behemoths and Decware SO Imperials in parallel, the impedance is somewhere around 2.66 ohms.  The Select loves a low impedance load, but that is a lot of speaker for a power amp with 2 watts per side.  With the potential of 36 volts, you can not only drive the Select to clipping ..... you can launch it from the audio rack .....  :P
Since the Select clips so gracefully, it's not too hard to get into dangerous water before you are aware of it .....  

This will not be a problem once I am used to the total system.  The volume will be more than adequate for my needs and the CSP2 makes the overall sound better by far.

Ah, yes ..... the bass ..... I know that everyone wants to know about the bass .....  :)

Well, if you have speakers that are capable of producing it, the CSP2 will make you happy.  Using only the Parker Audio Behemoths without the SO Imperials, the bass is very nice indeed.  I am now plainly hearing instruments in the lower registers that were previously "background instruments".  With the Imperials in the system, the bass has a wonderful presence that "pressurizes" the room in a very pleasant way.  The CSP2 also adds a nice amount of well controlled bottom end to Ed Schilling's Horns ..... which were in the system for a good portion of the listening sessions.  In fact, the CSP2 might very well be the icing on the cake for owners of The Horns and a Decware amplifier.  The Horns sound a lot "mightier" with the CSP2 pushing them.

Like everything else, I'm sure that the CSP2 will improve with break-in ..... but, based on what I have heard so far, I'm just sorry that I did not make this move sooner.

Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Joel
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 03/06/07 at 21:45:43

Steve -
Looks like you owe Randy a nice dinner for the Ad....... Or he owes you a high end cartridge of your choice for the unexpected significant improvements, at a budget kind of price.  Margaret says I have to at least hear Randy's CSP2 before sending mine in  [smiley=cry.gif]

Randy -
Is this in addition to the VCap change? How do you even work  [smiley=cloud9.gif]

Joel

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #36 - 03/07/07 at 06:26:33

Randy,

I appreciate you comments.  You're a stubborn or better put, cautious explorer of the finer things in audio.

I have found that the CSP2 simply makes the music sound more real.  Palpability in a word.  It is the first preamp I have come across that makes every amp I've tried it with sound better.  It masters the frequency balance.  I am still fascinated as to why.  It makes my Torii Mk II sound so much better had I known I would have probably snuck the entire preamp circuit into the Torii Mk II and asked more money for it.  Hearing that combo makes money about the last thing on your mind!

A lot of the magic or secret involves phase angle throughout the spectrum.  Amplifiers, preamps, loudspeakers all digress from the true phase of a given recording. This is like the molecular foundation of what we call "synergy" and what creates an illusiveness in this hobby of chasing the audio grail.

I have to say I am pleased and a bit taken at Randys review knowing full well the unit is far from broken in.  But then I can believe it because I know he, like I, can factor all that in and still enjoy listening. (Randy's ears are in my little black book of trusted opinions)  I fully expected several weeks to go by and then a comment like, "well it was touch and go at first"  followed by "in the end it does actually make things better".  This because I know the purity in listening to a single cap and one or two resistors in the signal path (Zen amp).  Which is fine when listening to a master tape on a meaty souce deck.  But in the world of digital we need more.

Addressing the simpler is better issue, we should probably say the purer the better.  It all goes back to the analogy of water.  You can have pure water or tainted water. Take two glasses and pour each with 1 inch of the respective types of water.  Look through the water in each glass. They both are easy to see through, decent to good clairty with either one.  Now add the second layer of water to each glass. The tainted water begins to loose clarity while the pure water is as easy to see through as before.

Kind of the same thing with preamps.  Pure water is actually hard to find.  But it is more then that.  Pure water was the ZTPRE and then almost as good ZSLA-1. Designed to leave the signal untouched.  The CSP and CSP2 were designed to restore.  I am thrilled to death frankly that it's working so well.  It makes listening to digital much more like analog by letting you hear clearly at leat twice the detail while at the same time somehow making everything smoother, warmer, more jucy. Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Brad
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 03/07/07 at 07:18:41

Thanks for the review Randy.  Given my recent moving of residence and my system being temporarily out of commission, I may have to take advantage and send mine in for the upgrade.

WWW   IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #38 - 03/07/07 at 17:54:20

Steve Deckert wrote on 03/07/07 at 06:26:33:
The CSP and CSP2 were designed to restore.  I am thrilled to death frankly that it's working so well.  It makes listening to digital much more like analog by letting you hear clearly at leat twice the detail while at the same time somehow making everything smoother, warmer, more jucy. Smiley

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the kind words .....  :)

One of the things that the new Zanden DAC does, IMHO, is exactly what you describe for the CSP2.  It "increases the detail while at the same time somehow making everything smoother, warmer, more juicy".  I have heard a lot of digital systems in my quest for the best possible sound from this format and this is as close to the best qualities of analog that I have experienced.  The CSP2 takes the effect to the next level.  One of the things I hear in really good analog recordings is a sense of "immediacy" in the vocals and instruments.  As you suggested, palpability would be another good term for it ..... and the CSP2 produces this quality in spades .....  8-)

I have been through so many episodes of breaking in new components that it's not too difficult to "listen around or past" the roller coaster ride produced by newly manufactured gear.  I fully expect the CSP2 (as well as the new V-Caps) to get better with time ..... but the strengths of both are already very obvious.

Randy    

WWW   IP Logged
Brad
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 03/07/07 at 18:02:09

Randy, what are the V-Caps? and which Zanden DAC model are you speaking of? thanks, -Brad-

WWW   IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #40 - 03/07/07 at 18:37:49

Hi Brad,

V-Cap info

Zanden DAC info

Enjoy,

Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #41 - 04/02/07 at 18:35:58

After about 100 hours of break in time on the CSP2, I am deliriously happy with this thing .....  8-)

Steve used the word "palpability" to describe what it does for the sound.

I offered the word "immediacy".

As I was listening last night (4 wonderful hours) I was looking for the best word or words to describe what I was hearing.  If you combine palpability, immediacy and presence ..... it pretty well nails the effect.

Oh yeah ..... add the word "steroids" ..... without the downside normally associated with that word.

Even without the CSP2, my system is sounding very good ..... but the CSP2 takes the sound to a new level.  In another thread, I stated what could amount to heresy considering all of the positive comments I have made about the SO Imperials ..... but after changing the configuration of the system several times this past weekend I can say with no hesitation that if I was forced to choose between  the SO Imperials and the CSP2, the CSP2 would stay in the system ..... it's THAT good.

Steve made the comment to me a while back (about the original CSP) that I really had not heard the full potential of my system without it.  I honestly thought it was funny at the time.

I'm not laughing now .....  :-?

Seriously ..... if you don't have one, buy one.

You can thank me for the recommendation later .....  ;)

Randy

WWW   IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 04/02/07 at 23:20:24

Randy in Caintuck wrote on 04/02/07 at 18:35:58:
Seriously ..... if you don't have one, buy one. You can thank me for the recommendation later .....  ;)
Randy

Bought one, thank you.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print