03/28/24 at 17:10:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RL-2 Resistors (Read 7889 times)
Tr3vWh0r3
Ex Member

RL-2 Resistors
01/17/07 at 19:12:13

Can anyone give me an idea of how the resistors on the bottom driver will effect bass? Or removing the resistor all together? Any help would be very much appreciated.

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Re: RL-2 Resistors
Reply #1 - 01/17/07 at 20:05:49

I find that the most bass is from using NO resistors on the bottom drivers.  But. . . I don't ultimately prefer the overall sound in that configuration.

I use a 50 ohm or 100 ohm resistor in the bottom drivers.  This gives a bit more of a dynamic response and a truer treble, also a nice tight and quick bass, in my estimation.  It also makes the speakers sound a tad more "conventional" perhaps.  (This is true in both my larger and smaller rooms).  But experiment on your own. . .you may prefer the speakers without resistors in the bottom drivers, or with resistors of smaller values.

IP Logged
Bugman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/26/07 at 23:47:16

Trevor, how are they sounding to ya ?

IP Logged
Tr3vWh0r3
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/29/07 at 16:51:44

Yesterday I sat down for a listen to some Bela Fleck and was amazed. The speakers finally revealed their true self. Initially the bass was a little over powering, I didn't expect nearly that much bass from the RL's. However, after a re-break in period the speakers have calmed down a lot. In-fact, I have removed the resistors on the passives and the whole presentation opened up. The highs were there from the start, crystal clear and without any harshness. They can get a little peak to them in the mids, it is however not as great as a forward firing Fostex shout. I am very happy with the tight bass and open sound to these speakers. They do music right and even make television shows (House) more enjoyable, because you just don't know you are listening to speakers.

I was using Omega Grande 6's before the Radials came and I must say. The way I have my room setup with treatments and such seems to be working. The sound stage from the Omega's was very similar to what I am getting with the Radials now. The only difference seeming to be a wider stage, with a little less forward nature.

Thanks again Bugman, for all of your patience and efforts.

IP Logged
Bugman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/29/07 at 18:08:05

I'm just glad that you are happy with them.

Did you go in the direction of trying to obtain some type of claim from Fedex?

IP Logged
Tr3vWh0r3
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/29/07 at 18:42:18

I called Fedex and was told that you would have to make the claim and they would send an inspector over to my place. I figured it's not worth your trouble. I am still happy with everything and just enjoying the music  ;)

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/29/07 at 20:22:22

Glad you're enjoying them Trevor!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print