Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 22:11:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Imperial SO - church use? (Read 5118 times)
WillisMan
Ex Member

Imperial SO - church use?
01/14/07 at 00:16:15

Hi All

I have an interesting non-profit project which is providing a state-of-the-art digital organ for a large church (150'x50'x40' LxWxH).  This will employ 48 channels of bi-amped audio, the issue being reproduction of the 32' tone region - 16-32Hz and possibly up to 80Hz.  I have built the WickedOne in the past which is fantastic with Steve's drivers on my home organ to below 32Hz but we were thinking of two Imperial SOs for filling this large space.

No-one (organist nor congregation) will ever be closer than 40' to the horns when they are in use; additionally they will be in the old pipe-organ chamber which is 15' up and extends right to the wooden vaulted roof.  Equalization is not an issue since every "pipe" on the organ will be voiced and regulated for the acoustic when it is installed.

Any guesses as to whether we're heading down the right path? I'd rather not go down the SunFire route with massive power amps if at all possible, particularly since it would have to be weighted down to keep it in one spot!

Best wishes,

Neil Craig - Silver Octopus Studios

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Re: Imperial SO - church use?
Reply #1 - 01/14/07 at 01:35:23

Considering the venue and size of the project, I believe I would recommend calling Steve direct on this one.
From what I hear the SO is likely to be more than plenty, but I couldn't give a first hand account. Maybe others will pipe in here, but that's a big space and some mighty bass.
When it's done let me know. I would love to come hear something like that!

Take care,
Robert

IP Logged
WillisMan
Ex Member

Re: Imperial SO - church use?
Reply #2 - 01/14/07 at 13:56:17

Hello

Well, if/when the instrument is installed (into a 1981 analog MONO instrument worsening by the day) it will be the first complete installation of our sample library in the UK.

It has already been used to enhance a small pipe organ in London but also for complete and hybrid instruments in the US and Canada by 3rd parties.  We will be recording the instrument and since I'm the organist there, it will hopefully serve as our showcase.

It won't be as flash as the Marshall & Ogletree organ at Trinity Church Wall Street (11 computers, 80 channels including 6 Definitive Technology subs) but equally it won't be costing $500K.  It *will* be the least-compromised digital organ in the UK.

Best//Neil

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print