Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 07:14:45 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Are 4.8 Truly Enough Watts for RL 1.5's? (Read 7394 times)
Craig
Ex Member

Are 4.8 Truly Enough Watts for RL 1.5's?
12/31/06 at 12:56:24

After many months of homework, my final considerations are all Decware speakers. The RL-1.5 appears to be a dream come true and fits perfectly, my situation. I think I would love it. Also, doable, are both HDT’s and the RL 3.0. Still, I’m a fan of the little guy, and want to take pride in putting together a system for the price of an insane pair of speaker cables. The 1.5’s seem to be that rare “something gone right”, and better left alone.

My only concern is the efficiency. To be driven by an Almarro A205A MKII with 4.8 watts a channel, will it truly be enough? At 4 watts minimum, for the radials, would the little Almarro crap out? Small space, and think of James Taylor music, but Dark Side of the Moon, sometimes. Choice two are the HTD’s, and I know that they would work. Still, I seem to have fallen in love with the 1.5’s.

Any Thoughts?

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Re: Are 4.8 Truly Enough Watts for RL 1.5's?
Reply #1 - 12/31/06 at 13:29:56

I say yes.  I run RL2s with Decware EL34 Monoblocks of about the same wattage, and they get plenty loud in my rather large living room dining room area (just moved them permanently a week ago from a small listening room).

IP Logged
Eli Duttman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/31/06 at 13:52:22

A useful rule of thumb requires that an amp/speaker combo be capable of 102 dB. SPL peaks at a 1 M. distance.  That rule indicates that the 92 dB. efficient 1.5s need an amp of about 10 WPC.  However, you said the listening room is small.  A lot of music will be fine through the Almarro/1.5 combo.  DSOTM may not bang your head enough.  Also, late 19th Century Romantic music scored for large ensembles may exceed the rig's dynamic capabilities.

I think the situation is "iffy".  Considering DECWARE's very reasonable return policy, which limits your risk to shipping charges, taking a chance on the Radial 1.5s appears OK.

IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/31/06 at 14:00:17

My setup uses RL3's with less than 4wpc and I can not listen at full volume.  A person only gets one set of ears, once their gone, their gone!

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/31/06 at 14:36:24

That's what I say too.  Rule of thumb or not, a few watts and the Radials will get too loud. Even with a Select mine could get too loud.

IP Logged
Craig
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/31/06 at 16:25:38

Thanks! Your thoughts mirror my own. While my profile only shows one star, it's only because I read, and don't post. I have been here daily for many years, and I know you all well. I believe that they would work, but I also believe that they would be "iffy" under certain curmstances. This forces me to move up the ladder, and while the 1.5's would have given me bragging rights, I'm not afraid to spend a little more. At 96 db, the HTD's, while quite different, now come to mind. At 94 db, the HTD MKII, and the Radial 3.0 are also in the running. So, with 4.8 watts, and if you could only have one?

I'm not an audition kind of guy, and it would bother me to try, and send them back. Generous as it is, Steve works too hard and I'd rather work just as hard to get it right. Just me!      

IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/31/06 at 18:30:49

I must admit that kickin out the coin for a new set of speakers is darn hard without hearing them in "your own room".  This house has many pairs of what I consider fairly good speakers.  None have been auditioned in house prior to purchase.  The RL3's top the list for both sound quality and build quality.

That said, Steve D. and Bob Z. do not make a bad sounding speaker in my opinion.  I think I have heard them all and could live with each.

There are folks that have had Decware speakers that were not satisfied and sold them.  IMO some of these people would complain if they were hung with a new rope.  I said some not all.

In the end, the room HAS to be worked with/tuned to obtain the best sound and some just refuse to admit that fact.

IP Logged
change_out
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/31/06 at 21:32:09

Howdy Craig,

I would go with the radials. Get the RL 3 if you can afford them. However, the 1.5's are also a good choice. The HDT's are to be selected only if you audition them in your room before buying. The HDT is very fast and transparent. It's draw back - the top end can be tipped up on a large number recordings and I would say it will shout or beam at times.

Paulc is absolutely dead on about tuning the room.

If your main consideration is loudness or volume any of the Decware speakers will get plenty loud. I am not familar with your amp so keep in mind its all about synergy.

Tim

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/31/06 at 23:26:40

I would go with the Radials too.  I love mine and every speaker I've heard since just doesn't do it for me, so I'm biased. . . but you know where I stand at least from reading my posts.

From what Ziggy (Bob) has told me about the comparisons between the Radials and the HDTs I'm pretty sure I'd choose the Radials. . . . I'm not a fan of forward sounding speakers, I like the mellowness in the Radials I've had.

IP Logged
Craig
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/01/07 at 02:43:31

Thanks to everyone! I'm going for the 1.5's. Volume is not an issue and I've read posts elswhere from folks who are happy driving them with a Zen. In the seventies I used to drool over the Ohm F's and I believe the radials will get me there. They also fit my goal to assemble a budget system that sounds better than its cost.

Almarro A205A MKII with cap and Alps pot upgrade, < $1000, used minimax preamp, $600, Mapleshade speaker cables, $85, RS Audio interconnects, $90, my old Sony X 55ES player, and now the Radials. When it all gets here I'll let you all know my thoughts.

Why the preamp with the integrated Almarro? It's because the Minimax is suppose to respond well to tube rolling and I have access to a ton of old tubes.

Thanks again to everyone.

IP Logged
myrun
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/19/07 at 17:37:17

Yes indeed 4.8w/ch just fine w/ RL 1.5s.  I have two Zen Selects, each wired in parallel for monoblock operation.  They drive my 1.5's beautifully.   Paradoxically, they seem to have more drive and "oomph" despite having 4-5w/ch than does my Taboo which has 6+.  I sometimes use the CSP as the pre, sometimes use an Eastern Electric minimax.

Keep in mind this system is used in my office of only 300 sq ft.  But I think the amps are perfect for the 1.5's...these amps work beautifully w/ lower than 8ohm speakers.

Mario

IP Logged
Robert
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/30/07 at 19:19:54

I just picked up some 1.5s and am running them off a VERY low tech Pioneer SX-980.  When my power meter is showing 1 watt, it's more than loud enough, and my room is bigger than 20X15, speakers about 9 feet apart with me sitting about 7-8 feet away.  I don't know how accurate the meters are, but if I went upwards to 4-5 watts, I would consider that VERY loud.  Hope this helps. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print