Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WO32 Amp question (Read 26045 times)
SPARKY
Ex Member

WO32 Amp question
11/21/06 at 02:52:07

Hello all,
Just a quick ? about a plate amp for the WO32.  
Background:  I have the plans, ready to buy MDF, and ready to call Decware to order the speakers.

Anyho... I'm looking at an amp from Partsexpress pn:  HPSA 500
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-806
500W plate amp that runs something like 275 per channel at 4 ohms, 500 at 8 ohms.  Amp sums the stereo input to mono output.

I think the WO32 is set up to run in stereo.
After reading some of the posts on here, some have gotten great results with much less amplification.
Grrrr.  Not sure what direction to go and I have a couple bucks burnin' a hole in my pocket.   Smiley
So, I'm l ooking for a little guidance on a plate amp please.
Thanks. ps. Guess that wasn't really a question... maybe more of a request? ???

IP Logged
Eli Duttman
Ex Member

Re: WO32 Amp question
Reply #1 - 11/21/06 at 03:39:07

The fact that the "plate" amp. sums to mono is not a problem.  If the DECWARE drivers are 4 Ohms nominal, connect them in series for a net "8" Ohms.  OTOH, if the DECWARE drivers are 8 Ohms nominal, connect them in parallel for a net "4" Ohms.  Either way, you have PLENTY of power.  Clipping should never be a problem.

[quote author=SPARKY  link=1164081127/0#0 date=1164077527]Hello all,
Just a quick ? about a plate amp for the WO32.  
Background:  I have the plans, ready to buy MDF, and ready to call Decware to order the speakers.

Anyho... I'm looking at an amp from Partsexpress pn:  HPSA 500
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-806
500W plate amp that runs something like 275 per channel at 4 ohms, 500 at 8 ohms.  Amp sums the stereo input to mono output.

I think the WO32 is set up to run in stereo.
After reading some of the posts on here, some have gotten great results with much less amplification.
Grrrr.  Not sure what direction to go and I have a couple bucks burnin' a hole in my pocket.   Smiley
So, I'm l ooking for a little guidance on a plate amp please.
Thanks. ps. Guess that wasn't really a question... maybe more of a request? ??? [/quote]

IP Logged
SPARKY
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/21/06 at 06:44:00

Eli,
Thanks for the info !
We kicked it around a bit in conversation at work too, but I wanted to get some input from you folks on the board as well. (expert types)
Hopefully I  can get my orders in before the turkey nap starts to take effect. Cry
Everybody have a good turkey day out there!
ps. Man these little amps sound great at 0230 in the morning!
Sparky

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/21/06 at 08:17:14

I second Eli
Besides I would never argue with him  :) . The Dayton plate amp you selected is a great price point, quality balance.
Also lower distortion than the Bash and in a WO32 why go to a lesser amp.
I wish I had that amp!

Gex

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/21/06 at 11:53:15

as far as i know, when we mount an amp to the sub we risk vibrateing the amp to death? might be worth considering an 'offboard' amp?

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/21/06 at 17:51:25

You can attach that Amp to the WO32?
I did not think you could with out a heck of a spacer, I will have to check the depth and plate size, no wait, how about you check it.

I have yet to attach a plate amp to the back of any sub. But one of these days I will.
It is possible that it could effect the amp, just because so many amps are attached to the sub itself does not mean its the best way of doing something, but it sure looks better

However using 60's point if you are not mounting it on the sub go to a better amp and crossover. There are people on this forum that are not plate amp fans at all. With a plate amp sound quality can be more of an issue, just not for me.

All the best
I do have to see if you are able to mount that amp on that little WO32. lets see a pic! just revive the thread when you  git er done.

IP Logged
SPARKY
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/22/06 at 04:22:00

Hello all,
Thanks for the info!
I'm looking at mounting the plate amp in a seperate (sit on the floor next to the sub) nicely finsihed box.  The WO32 only has something like 8x12 in the triangle apex and the amp is 10x10 on the mounting face.  
Besides that, if what "they" say about the WO is true... then I'd risk shaking the paint off of the amp if it was somehow attached to he cabinet.  hmmm, maybe? ???
Will attempt to get my orders in and p/u some MDF Wednesday.  If I can figure out how to host pics on Comcast, then I will do that too.
Thanks again.
Sparky

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/23/06 at 12:25:31

The WO and WO32 are two differant animals.
I have built WO and a WO32 same size speakers and roughly same size box and the output on the WO was higher, but had to be crossed over lower.
I much prefered the sound of the small WO32 over the small WO. I am Hoping to have another WO done in with the same drivers I have in my WO32 sometime over the winter to run a practical comparison.
I just don't have the room for too much stuff at the same time!

( hope )

IP Logged
SPARKY
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/27/06 at 01:59:51

Hello,
-update...
Ok, amp and subs on order and should be in this week.
Spent the better part of the long weekend cutting up a sheet of MDF.
Everything is cut up and fit w/ the exception of the parts that are made from the sub cut out circle.
Guess I have to go buy a router now  :'(

I'll keep you all up to date as things proceed. Cheesy
So far so good

IP Logged
SPARKY
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/07/06 at 04:02:06

'nother update...
Everything is glued together now.  Shot some flat black on the inside around the throat and triangle.
Ran into some problems while glueing.  Guess I got into a bit of a rush and slapped everything together in one night.  Ended up with the left side narrowest part of the throat being a bit smaller or narrower than the right side.  I hope it doesn't make too much difference when I fire this thing up. ???
Sanded the box smooth this evening (gotta love belt sanders) and put down a coat of sanding sealer.  Hope to do some touch up sanding Thursday and apply some nice black paint to the outside.
Then... just add subs, wire, gasket tape, countersink screws, etc. etc. etc.... Cry
Will keep you all posted as things move along.
I can't help it... I'm gettin' really jumpy as this thing takes shape Cheesy

IP Logged
SPARKY
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/16/06 at 16:21:32

Hello all,
Ok, the box is done!  First I was running it w/ just the one amp (see above) but the bass was very muddy.  Granted that the testing was in a big concrete room w/ block walls.  I was a little unhappy at that point.  Sat on the box for hours w/ the ipod trying different music, different settings on the amp, adding poly fill, foam, voodoo  :-*, etc.  Still,  :'( not getting it.  Anyway, moved on in the project to the plate amp dog houses.  I say houses because I picked up 2 amps, you know, just in case Kiss.  Hooked up both amps running at around 200 something watts to each sub at 8 ohms each.  Shazaaaammm!   Cheesy the bass cleared up and really got responsive.  Further, after flipping the box on end w/ the horn facing down and sitting on 2x4 blocks... Wow!
Maybe the single plate amp seeing 3.5 ohms at the terminals was just a bit much power for the drivers.   ???Now just need to get the thing home and mess around w/ placement and tuning.
Overall, things are looking up.  The project has gotten a bit out of control cost wise, but I really think I will be pleased w/ the music when it is all dialed in.
Took a ton of pictures so I'll work on getting those posted.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/16/06 at 21:52:10

my wo32 sounds best on 2x4 legs throat downfireing also. Grin

try corners and behind the couch and everywhere,

PLACEMENT IS EVERYTHING

IP Logged
SPARKY
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/19/06 at 03:13:40

60-
yup, so far it has been sitting on the floor in the middle of the room, sitting upright next to the tv (turned the screen green), outboard of the speakers, and back to the floor again.  Everything has to be carefully placed to keep the cats from eating the power and speaker cable.  It's like child proofing a house; but for cats instead.   Shocked Makes a nice coffee table though.  
I really had the sound when I first hooked it up.  Filled in and brought a new dimension to the music.  It's like I could hear the texture of the spiral round upright bass guitar strings in the music.  Wild.  then I mucked around w/ the 2 plate amp settings and lost the bubble.  :'( O well... keeps me off the streets at night I guess.
Just a side thought... how many amps can I run off of the CSP?  So far there are 2 CS's and 2 plate amps.  working ok so far, but the hum is more noticiable and the big tube on one CS vibrates more now.  Hopefully they will just keep glowing and making great sound!
Guess I can't get another CSP in the same black cabinet as before?   ???

IP Logged
SPARKY
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 12/19/06 at 04:51:55

testing pic

IP Logged
SPARKY
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/19/06 at 05:08:31

Pictures as promised...

IP Logged
SPARKY
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 12/19/06 at 05:13:35

Amplifier dog-houses...
Construction.

IP Logged
SPARKY
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 12/19/06 at 05:44:48

favorite instrument...

The wo32 IS incredible.
I'm certain I heard the actual texture of the spiral wound bass strings being played...

kinda like exhibit "A"

Overall, the build was a lesson in speaker construction.  The angles were tough but do-able.
I did not have the right router bit to recess the 10"s into the baffle as the directions "seem" to show but I do have a very tight fit between the speaker face gasket and the facing baffle.  It doesn't rattle at all.  Must have been the Voodoo  ???
The amp boxes turned out good and are even nearly a complete match in dimensions.  I think I only put down a couple dimensions on paper before I just went for it from the mental image.  
Thanks to everyone past and present for their posts regarding the wo32- all very helpful!

IP Logged
SPARKY
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 01/24/07 at 02:53:38

Couple more pictures of the amp boxes...

Probably did not need to build them out of 3/4" oak, but I had some laying around and needed to use it up.
The metal is from stamped sheet register steel.  Cuts easy with metal snips.  The box is glued on 3 sides and screwed on the back.  The amps slide into the box on grooves and can be removed if they break.   Sad  
If you do something like this, I suggest putting a bead of hot glue or silicon in the groove for the metal so it won't rattle.  Just a thought  ???.

IP Logged
Mr Content
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 02/07/07 at 05:31:21

Wow Sparky, those are the second biggest plate amp boxs I have ever seen.  :P, But seriously, nice job.

Mr C Smiley

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 02/08/07 at 12:06:20

[quote author=Mr Content  link=1164081127/15#18 date=1170826281]Wow Sparky, those are the second biggest plate amp boxs I have ever seen.  :P, But seriously, nice job.

Mr C Smiley [/quote]
My Bad!
I never followed this thread, very nice. I have ended up using a little stuffing on my WO 32 as well. Interesting about the power of the amps making such a profound change.
I have some drivers that are advertised as 4 Ohm but test at 2.2 and I have a 4 Ohm plate amp that the gain has to remain so far down it renders it unusable for those drivers.
G

IP Logged
SPARKY
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 02/11/07 at 05:11:16

Hello and Thanks!
I'm not sure if the single amp did not have enough oommph or too much oommph but running one amp for each driver seemed to do the trick.  Maybe the two drivers in parallel created too low Ohms for the plate amp?  I don't know.  But hey, it sounds good now so I'm happy!  
As for the amp boxes (dog houses), they are a bit big, but they blend in well w/ everything else and aren't any taller than the top of the horn on the BK-16 cabinets (see Madisound kit).  
anyway, thanks again!
Sparky  :D

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print