Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 07:29:34 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rebuilding a quad HW12. (Read 8141 times)
LoSRx7
Ex Member

Rebuilding a quad HW12.
11/14/06 at 15:18:35

**  Sorry for the long post, but after reading a lot of posts, I wasn't really confident on some of the questions I looked up. **

Hi everybody,
  I'm going to be rebuilding my quad HW12.  Reason why,  I built the first one FAST, and would like this one to look MUCH better  :)  It sounds awesome, but I want it to look good now Smiley  

I'm just trying to make sure I did everything correctly, and I have some questions to clear some confusion i'm having.   Cry  Any pictures or links to specific items would be very helpful.

1.  Box Building..   ???
    What's the best way to put this box together.  Is there a proper way of cutting the wood, so that when assembling, the box will come together better.  Should I glue, or seal all edges while also screwing it??  

2.  Speaker Mounting..    ???
    What is the proper way of "clam shelling" the subs.  I originally put a sub on each side of the the two baffles of the box.   Should I be "clam shelling" the subs together, then mounting them outside the baffles of the box???   If so, what can I put between the subs incase they touch when I put them together.

3.  Speaker wiring..    ???
    What is the best way to wire this box, while keeping the center chamber sealed tight?  I'm looking to just have a plug at the bottom of the box, with clean (not messy) wiring.  

4.  Cabinet Finish..      ???
    I'm planning on building the box completely out of MDF.  I would like the box to be solid black.  Now I know MDF can be tough to paint, but has anyone done it with successful results?   Also, has anyone used "BAND-IT MELAMINE" that parts express sells for a finish?   I might do that, instead of painting.

5.  Box Placement..   ???
   Now to me,  placing the box 3 feet from the tv is best for me, since I can use short wires.  Should I place it in the back of the room instead of the front?  Also, should I put feet (rubbers or spikes?) on the box?  It will be on top of a carpet, without padding in the basement.

6. Box Port..    ???
   I'm using PVC pipe (FREE! from local pipe store scrap pile) to do the top port.  Should I be rounding all the edges, or just the inside edges.   Whats the best way to mount this port?  Also, I need to cover the port holes to keep the kittens out of there.  They are beginning to jump on everything, and I don't want to have to take the box apart to take a kitten out of the top chamber Smiley   Can anyone suggest the best way to cover them, while making it look nice.  (And getting rid of the cats is not an answer  :D )

Again, sorry for the long post, but I hope this answers some of my issues.  Any pictures would be appreciated.  Thank you.

-LoS

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: Rebuilding a quad HW12.
Reply #1 - 11/14/06 at 15:47:15

1. just glue and screw the panels together. don't use lots of screws because they only help while the glue cures. also, if you can, cover the inside seams with a bead of glue. adds strength and makes a good seal.
2. you could cut an mdf ring to keep the surrounds from touching, but mounting the drivers on each side of the baffle is easier. the mdf ring idea is useful because you're able to remove both drivers.
3. bolts in the bottom chamber. bolts through both baffles. clean, airtight and solid. i always use bolts because they're cheaper than terminals and never leak if mounted right. you could make them look like a terminal by doing a small rectangular or circular cutout and mounting a piece of mdf on the inside.
4. fill all holes with putty. sand. primer. sand. primer (this time it's optional). add 2-3 layers of paint with a bit of sanding in between. wetsand the top layer to get it perfect.
5. experimenting is the mother of success.
6. cut the hole so that the port fits in it and round the mdf. try to round it on the inside.
rounding both sides of the lower ports also helps and it looks better, imo.
covering the port is a delicate issue. you could build some feet and use the box upside-down. or you could build a grille out of some metal bars. cloth isn't such a good option because of the massive air movement.

IP Logged
LoSRx7
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/14/06 at 17:20:02

What glue would u recommend using??

Should i use the glue to secure the port too???

Also, will the box sound different upside??

IP Logged
cavenut
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/14/06 at 17:46:37

GORILLA Glue should work best.
This glue is very stong and it expands as it dries.
Very tight fit, and don't forget to use a gasket on the access panel

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/14/06 at 18:41:07

I would use normal woodglue if using MDF or similar woodproducts.  Wood glue is by far the best glue for wood.  Gorilla glue isn't nearly as strong as wood glue in these types of applications.  You would use gorilla glue to attatch the port to the box though, as wood glue won't do so well on plastic.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/14/06 at 19:34:27

polyurethane construction adhesive for everything.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/14/06 at 19:47:20

http://www.woodworking.com/ww101glue.cfm

That will help you decide.

A major point on that site is made- almost every glue when used properly is stronger then the wood itself- it hardly matters how far beyond wood's failure point you are.  SO the application, time constraints, and materials should determine the glue you use- not strength since they are all stronger then the wood.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/15/06 at 02:41:12

On the wood glue:

I have used several types of wood glue and goriila glue and gorilla glue type glue.
I like using brad nails,clamps and wood glue in many cases. The plus is I have been able to knock it apart with success when I use wood glue.

when I use gorilla glue it rips to pieces if I try it.
It also expands to cover small defects. which is a good thing.
If I never want it to come apart ( ever) I use a gorilla glue type product.

Another wood type glue I like is weldbond it also works well.

Don't use screws if you don't have to

If you want you could use Baltic birch with band edging ( tricky but doable) add some stain or just shellac and your done.
this would work well if you just use glue and clamp.
The friction fit top and bottom may have to be screwed if your pushing it with the power. the tighter the fit a couple small screws will do.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print