Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 01:40:55 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OK, one big question needs answer... (Read 17172 times)
cavenut
Ex Member

OK, one big question needs answer...
11/07/06 at 13:36:37

Thanks for all your advice. The big question left is:
Do load it with the magnets facing each other in the middle?
OR, do I load it with the drivers both facing the same direction? If so is that up or down?

Thanks Again you HouseWrecker Guru's,
Michael

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: OK, one big question needs answer...
Reply #1 - 11/07/06 at 14:10:49

try all the combinations. most used combination is with the magnets in the middle chamber because it reduces the volume in the center chamber, improving control and coupling between drivers.

IP Logged
cavenut
Ex Member

I am starting to wonder if...
Reply #2 - 11/07/06 at 15:51:50

I am starting to wonder if I should through caution
to the wind and just go with four drivers. The only thing that I
am hesitant about is the $800 price tag for four of these drivers.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-420

I already plane on using 1-1/8” MDF for the damping factor.
I have no plans to modify the original plans, except for using PVC on the 6” x 8” port. Also Using a 4” x 2” PVC for the bottom ports, this only to give it a finished look.

I figure that with Wood, Screws, (4) Drivers we must be at 200+lbs. I have all tile floors so I will also need to add a set of leveling feet with rubber bottoms.

Anyone know of any problems with these Small Modifications?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/07/06 at 17:41:20

Michael, I'd go with (2) drivers for now, magnets in center.
Did you look at my pics? I've got HWK "in process" pics that shows one of my mods regarding driver mounting, and placement.
The mods you have listed would be fine. I don't see a problem.

Here's a couple threads I started a while back. (I'm a fellow Housewrecker newbee).
It's a lot of reading, and some OT stuff, but there is quite a bit of good info in there. You'll also see/meet some of the guys that helped me. It's a good place to learn.

The beginning of my quest:
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Housewrecker;action=display;...

This one starts out after I've had the sub for a few months.:
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Housewrecker;action=display;...

Bob

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/07/06 at 17:43:55

By the way, this is very important.
When you wire them, make sure they are all pushing/pulling in the same direction.
This is accomplished by wiring the ones facing "the other way" out of phase (+ to - and - to +)

Know what I mean?

Bob

IP Logged
cavenut
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/07/06 at 17:58:13

Yes I do know what you mean.

Wasn’t that a line from “Young Frankenstein”.

Did you build with two or four?

Michael

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/07/06 at 18:14:14

Welcome Michael. If you go with the Titanic line, two should be more than enough. You might want to look at the Series IIs from Dayton for a cheaper alternative. I use the Series IIs but have found that my HWK15 sounds a little better laying on its side. Also the magnets in the center chamber seem to play lower than the other set ups and is my favorite for the HWK. Good Luck. HT-EXT

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/07/06 at 18:20:44

[quote author=cavenut link=board=Housewrecker;num=1162910197;start=0#5 date=11/07/06 at 11:58:13]Did you build with two or four?/quote]

Two

Here's a pic of the center "assembly"
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2081307880085868784wMcUBJ

Here's the assembly in the enclosure
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2708752050085868784xjZMVk

Bob

IP Logged
cavenut
Ex Member

OK Bob here is a question..
Reply #8 - 11/07/06 at 22:17:06

In the center between the magnets you have some spacers. are they necessary functional or are you just experimenting?

What do they do?

Michael

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Re: OK Bob here is a question..
Reply #9 - 11/08/06 at 04:45:24

[quote author=cavenut  link=1162910197/0#8 date=1162937826]In the center between the magnets you have some spacers. are they necessary functional or are you just experimenting?

What do they do?

Michael [/quote]
i believe they kinda join the 2 drivers together to make them behave more like 1 driver. or bob has a weird drink mixing system in his ht bar?

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/08/06 at 04:47:34

looks 2 me like bobs centre chamber is tripple thick? thats got to reduce the volume of that chamber? and effect overall performance. nice n solid but a bit small......hang on, that remids me of something ???

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/08/06 at 11:09:41

I just spent the past 40 minutes typing up a nice eloquent, informative response to your question Michael. After I clicked "Post", the site told me I'm not a Member!
It lost my post.  >:(
It was long too.
When I get over this white hot pissed hatred of everything on the planet, I'll make attempt number 2.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/08/06 at 13:36:13

oops not tripple thick just 'battons'  :'(

im curious bob, i saw you and the guys modding your hwk for a few weeks, trying to  get it to be right for you? in as few words as possible how did it turn out? what differences in performance to the typical hwk does yourz have, and now you have had it up and running for a while do you think its right for you?

i have also had long posts deleted by the computer gods, thats EXACTLY WHY i keep posts short nowdays, i hate getting that pissed off over something so silly Wink

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Re: OK Bob here is a question..
Reply #13 - 11/08/06 at 14:30:10

[quote author=60ndown  link=1162910197/0#9 date=1162961124]
i believe they kinda join the 2 drivers together to make them behave more like 1 driver. [/quote]
Correct.

60, it made it 'boomier', but for HT use, that's exactly what the doctor ordered.
Slightly less musical depending on the music your listening to.
If you crank up Nelly, Eminem, ect... it sounds great. If you crank up some smooth jazz, it's a little "one notey".

I'm trying to learn, that when I write a big long post, I'll right click it, and copy. That way when it goes in the "internet toilet", I simply 'paste'. It's worked a couple times. I just smile knowing how pissed I could have been at that moment. In fact, this post is getting a little long. I think I'll copy it too, just in case.

Bob

IP Logged
cavenut
Ex Member

I am definetly not looking for boomy
Reply #14 - 11/08/06 at 16:46:42

I want the bass to be somewhat tight, but I also want low Hz.
Are these two things not possible to get together?

By the way bob my little trick is to write on a word doc.
then copy / paste to the forum. Saves time on spell check.
I am one example of the mid 60's private school phonetic learning experiment that failed miserably. Hence I am one of the worst spellers, with four college degrees.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 11/08/06 at 16:52:17

musical and really low aren't easy to get in the same package. choosing the design is dictated, imo, by what you want the sub to play.

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 11/08/06 at 17:33:52

Cavenut, It's 'close' to possible to get real low and tight. Might be better to pick one. (Is sub for HT or music?)
You may have answered in the past, but I can't remember.

I built the sub for movies, THESE GUYS got me into music. Roll Eyes So maybe my tastes have changed a little.
I'm currently into OB for music (and movies) I'm looking for a better sub now that would 'mesh' well with music. Soooo, with my 'new tastes in hand', maybe this sub is too boomy??
It falls under the category of 'your tastes', you might like it?

Know what I mean? Wink

Bob

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print