Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 14:02:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another New Guy with Questions.... (Read 845 times)
cavenut
Ex Member

Another New Guy with Questions....
11/06/06 at 01:01:16

I am very excited to build this thing, however I have some questions. And yes I want to listen to music, but I also want my neighbors to know who has the best subwoofer. (especially those little kids, in little cars, at 3am)
Well here goes

Instead of a coffee can a 6” x 8” piece of PVC  or one of those premade ports available online be used?

Should 4” PVC be used for the bottom ports or one of those premade ports, or nothing?

Does the cabinet need to be stuffed with some sort of fill?How about the center section?

There is not much info on the diagram, is there any other advice you could share?

I am planning on loading it with two DAYTON TIT400C-4 15" TITANIC MKIII SUBWOOFER 4 OHM from parts express. Are these the way to go or should i use the less expensive not as high power rated Peavy Black Widows instead?
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-420

I have a Samson Graphic EQ and a Samson 3-Way Crossover into a 1200watt QSC amp running in bridged mono with the two subs in parallel firing in the same direction. Is this the way to go or should I have them firing away from each other. I want solid tight bass, but I also want to get down in Hz  (to get the most out of some Pink Floyd and Captain Beefhart records)

Will it make a difference if I use a 1/4” laminate on top of the .75” panels? (glued on of course)

Thank You,
Michael Foy

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Re: Another New Guy with Questions....
Reply #1 - 11/06/06 at 03:29:49

its amazing, build to plans build with confidence. dont worry about impressing anyone, you will enjoy floyd in a new way.

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/06/06 at 20:24:47

Cavenut, you'll have to excuse 60, he just rambles and rambles..........

[quote author=cavenut  link=1162778476/0#0 date=1162774876]
Instead of a coffee can a 6” x 8” piece of PVC  or one of those premade ports available online be used? [/quote]
Yea, if you can find a port that size. PCV would be ok, provided you can find a piece. I'd hate to buy a 10' section for just a few inches.

Quote:
Should 4” PVC be used for the bottom ports or one of those premade ports, or nothing?

Nothing.

Quote:
Does the cabinet need to be stuffed with some sort of fill?How about the center section?

Nothing. (I lined upper and lower chambers with automotive carpet pad. Made no difference. Roll Eyes)

Quote:
There is not much info on the diagram, is there any other advice you could share?

Yes.

Quote:
I am planning on loading it with two DAYTON TIT400C-4 15" TITANIC MKIII SUBWOOFER 4 OHM from parts express. Are these the way to go or should i use the less expensive not as high power rated Peavy Black Widows instead?

I'll leave that one for "the driver professionals".

Quote:
I have a Samson Graphic EQ and a Samson 3-Way Crossover into a 1200watt QSC amp running in bridged mono with the two subs in parallel firing in the same direction. Is this the way to go or should I have them firing away from each other. I want solid tight bass, but I also want to get down in Hz  

Experiment. Play with it. Different rooms, different peoples tastes... My first try was to mount them in the center chamber, magnets together.

Quote:
Will it make a difference if I use a 1/4” laminate on top of the .75” panels?

The more (externally) the better. Double stack the MDF if you want. Less resonance! (Just remember, this suckers gonna be heavy anyway. How strong is your back?

Bob

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/06/06 at 23:02:57

I would think the Daytons would absolutely kill in this box!
The black widows will have a whole different signature and if you are looking at producing the helicopter sound from "The Wall" albums, I would go with the heavier, higher excursion, beefier Dayton.
One thing is for sure, if you put that QSC on those subs in that box and even one of those 3am car kids hears this thing, you will find yourself in a new line of work lol.

Keep us posted!

Robert

IP Logged
cavenut
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/06/06 at 23:56:41

Yea the QSC does Rock. Right now its powering a pair of PILE Compression drivers. With a couple of full size drop forged horns.

For a sub right now I have a Polk Audio PSW-450 which is now the 404. The 450 supposedly has 450 watts. I am now totally un-impressed with this sub.

I have an audio generator capable of tone down to 1 hert however I also have a few reel to reels with great bass. I can also lay my hands an Ashley RTA for measuring.
I can't wait to start,

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/07/06 at 01:46:59

[quote author=cavenut  link=1162778476/0#4 date=1162857401]I have an audio generator capable of tone down to 1 hert .... I can also lay my hands an Ashley RTA for measuring. [/quote]

Hell, I can't wait for you to start measuring. 20HZ and down would be just fine. (1 meter)

Bob

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print