Send Topic Print
NFX design question (Read 7578 times)
Kim Bay Smidt
Ex Member

NFX design question
09/12/06 at 12:33:38

From https://www.decware.com/paper83.htm:
Quote:
Where this variation of the ultraflex differs is in the cut rear corners and of course the 8 degree angle that the entire cabinet is raked back at. These two things eliminate most of the parallel surfaces inside the box.

As far as I can see the front and back is perfectly parallel?!

Yes, the back plane is smaller than the front but the driver will still get a lot of reflections from the back. Right?
A NERF ball or wool behind the driver might reduce the reflections. Or better - no back plane at all.

Quote:
No doubt someone will wonder if they can build it without the 8 degree skew and then just lean the cabinet back 8 degrees after it's finished.  This will work but the sound and appearance will be lacking compared to the building it the proper way.

I missed the point here... As far as I can see the parallel top and bottom plate should not cause any major problems as they are handled by the NERF balls.
Yes, the ducts are angled 8 degree but I can't see what it should matter due to the wavelengt coming out of the ducts.

In europe we use Rock-Wool (isolation for houses) and wool to dampen the reflections inside cabinets.
1-2" Rock-Wool on all surfurces and wool in the open space inside the box.

Any thoughts?

IP Logged
rmt
Ex Member

Re: NFX design question
Reply #1 - 10/30/06 at 22:45:39

[quote author=Kim Bay Smidt  link=1158064418/0#0 date=1158060818]From https://www.decware.com/paper83.htm:

As far as I can see the front and back is perfectly parallel?!

Yes, the back plane is smaller than the front but the driver will still get a lot of reflections from the back. Right?
In europe we use Rock-Wool (isolation for houses) and wool to dampen the reflections inside cabinets.
1-2" Rock-Wool on all surfurces and wool in the open space inside the box.

Any thoughts? [/quote]

Some rockwool along the length of the back should be enough to eliminate reflection between the front and back parallel panels.

I am not so sure about filling up the rest of the box with anything except the nerf balls.  

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Re: NFX design question
Reply #2 - 11/03/06 at 01:33:33

I don't think the balls are there merely to reduce reflection but also to direct the reflections out of the cabinet.  Also, there is a difference between absorption and diffusion of that back wave. I think the wool absorbs and the balls diffuse, again to reflect the wave out of the "ports".  I could be wrong but that's my guess.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print