04/16/24 at 19:24:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Room Configuration (Read 8039 times)
musgofasa
Ex Member

Room Configuration
08/29/06 at 12:46:43

I haven't seen much traffic on the site about these in a while. I was wondering if anyone had a really good gauge of the best room these could work in. I know Steve says there should be an opening or knee walls between the speakers and obviously there needs to be two corners, but what about all direction dimensions and such as that? Also could it be possible to build the knee walls away from the sides and use the space back to the corners of a room as the opening?
Something like this?:

I really love this design. (I mean I REALLY love this design) lol
I just looked at a house yesterday that I may be moving into and it has a nice workshop and a room that might be pretty close to ideal with a set of corners adjacent to a large opening into another room. I think this room is about 18 feet long and 14 feet wide. Maybe a bit narrower, but I am not sure. I will get a better look this weekend. I think there was a 12 foot ceiling there too, but I will have to get a closer look at the house. Do you think the ratios in the "Room Size" chart work best with this design or is the corner loading able to be "manipulated" more or less than a standard floor speaker?
I want to build a set of these just to say I did it lol

Robert

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Re: Room Configuration
Reply #1 - 08/29/06 at 17:13:59

I have no experience with this design, however placing the horns on a wall, rather than in the corners will likely have a detrimental effect on the sound.  The CORNER horn is meant to go in the corner, the walls on either side, for at least three feet, count as the final flare of the horn.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Re: Room Configuration
Reply #2 - 08/29/06 at 17:42:16

Ahh I didn't really think about that. One side would have a full wall. I wonder if I could extend the knee walls far enough or if it would make a difference. I know in the room treatment paper that Steve wrote, he had said that this angling of the room was great for reflections, but with the CORNER horn, I am thinking maybe it would not be of as much benefit in which case the design is Null.
Of course if the house I move to has the room I think it does, then the horns would be in the normal corners with the room being a little longer than it is wide.
Now I wonder whatever happened to those speakers Steve was developing for this design?

Thanks for the input JJ
I hate it when I overlook something obvious lol  :-/

Robert

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print