Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 13:55:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bunch of questions before I build (Read 6709 times)
jkalet
Ex Member

Bunch of questions before I build
08/19/06 at 19:36:43

All,
  Wow, ever since finding out about Decware from a diysubwoofer link, I can't stop thinking about what to build.  Initially I was looking to build one of the W boxes, but then I transitioned to HW and now I'm thinking about Imperial SO.

Design Goals:  Seriously loud, low freqs.  I have a DJ area set up in my garage (2 1200's and a CD player feeding a Sherwood 2x100w amp to some crappy old 2-way Polk audios) but for the kind of music I'm spinning, I KNOW I'm missing out on "the fun stuff"  I've had a few house partys, but I'm embarassed to invite people back because of the lack of low end.  I want peoples clothes to blow back and forth! Also, it's ok if the sub is overpowering--I'll upgrade the Polks.

Options:  Initally I was thinking about the HWK-15 kit but, correct me if I'm wrong, according to what I've read, the Imperial SO would suite my wants better.  (More for music and less for HT)

Drivers:  I've been searching the forums and everybody seems pretty happy with either Daytons or Peavey.  I'm leaning towards Daytons, but (and forgive me if the plans are more specific ie TS parameters to follow) I don't know which model to choose from:

Dayton Quattro 15
Dayton Titanic MKIII 15
Dayton Reference HO 15
Dayton Series II 15

I remember reading a few recommendations for the Series II, but those posts looked to be a few years old so maybe one of the above is better?

Amp:  Probably Crown.  Again I think I remember people mentioning the CE line, but all I see on PE's site is the XLS, XS, and Xti.

[edit]  Forgot to mention, before I found Decware I was looking at using a BEHRINGER 250 and some Sound Splinter drivers but I think the efficiency of n-order boxes has changed my mind [edit]

Materials:  Have built and competed in car audio years ago with MDF boxes, so I was planning on using it again.  However, there seems to be an interested in plywood (Birch to be more specific) in the forum.  Hmm...I wouldn't think ply would hold screws as well due to layering...maybe I'm wrong.

Budget:  Money is somewhat of an issue, but not too much.  We recently had a flood in our home from a burst pipe.   Thankfully insurance covered it and I did some of the repair work inorder to have some $$$ left over.  This kind of leads to the fully-loaded HWK-15 vs a single Imperial SO comparison.  Assuming material costs are close, would 3 more Dayton's in a HWK-15 really outshine an Imp SO?

Whatever I build will be housed in a 1-car garage (minus the car).  WAF not an issue as the garage is "my space"  :)

Any comments/suggestion as the above would be greatly appreciated, and I know there's no such thing as a "right answer" so I'm open to criticism.

Thanks,
Jude

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Re: Bunch of questions before I build
Reply #1 - 08/19/06 at 19:41:51

housewrecker is excellent on all types of music and real easy to build, imperials are better on everything but difficult to build.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/20/06 at 02:42:57

only if you do everything with a skilsaw 60.
Smiley

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/20/06 at 05:48:47

when dealing with a front loaded horn (imperial) drivers with lots of excursion can cause problems (muddy bass).
i'm not sure if your goal
Quote:
peoples clothes to blow back and forth

is achievable in a room.
if it's loud music you're looking for, content below 30hz shouldn't matter much. so i'm suggesting normal imperial loaded with 2 serious pa woofers.
another problem when trying to compare the so to other designs is that not too many bass-heads have played with both. espacially with the so.

IP Logged
jkalet
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/20/06 at 20:28:42

[quote author=Adrian D.  link=1156016203/0#3 date=1156049327]when dealing with a front loaded horn (imperial) drivers with lots of excursion can cause problems (muddy bass). [/quote]

That's what I've been wondering.  It seems most people recommend drivers with single digit Xmax, but since I haven't played around with non-sealed designs, I'm not used to thinking loud, deep bass is achievable w/o a large (>28mm) Xmax.

Quote:
i'm not sure if your goal is achievable in a room.  

How come?  Because of the amount of air (or lack there of) in a standard garage/living room?

Quote:
so i'm suggesting normal imperial loaded with 2 serious pa woofers.  

Thanks.  However, w/o being the annoying guy asking "what driver is better" all the time, do you know if the plans give the suggested T/S parameters?

IP Logged
JimP
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/21/06 at 14:35:33

jkalet,

Seems to me that you need a pair of full range Imperials, not the SOs.  If you are going to the trouble of building an Imperial cabinet, then why not make it full range and get both the awesome bass and a top end to match.  Then you won't need to upgrade your Polks; you could use them as endtables.

As far as parameters for woofers in the Imperial, chose ones with a low Qts, below .3 (although the ones I used are in the .35 range and work well) and an Fs of 40Hz +/-.  A little lower or higher is OK but too low could case some loading problems.

I used the Dayton Pro 15" and an Eminence Gamma 15" which had an extended high freq range.  With some equallization this combo works well but there are many speaker choices and a fair number of people have spoken well of Peavy Scorpions.  To cover the top end I use a $30 (US) compression driver from 2000 Hz up and the thing is quite impressive.  At $30 it is easily replaced if I destroy it, and the voice coil can be replaced for $12 if needed.

Maybe more than you really wanted to know, but I hope it helps.

Jim P

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print