Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 10:17:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Building an eight inch WO ( PIC'S ) (Read 18855 times)
Yok666
Ex Member

Building an eight inch WO ( PIC'S )
08/14/06 at 19:28:38

I plan to build a 24" x 36" WO using Infinity 850W's. I want to fit the box under the package tray of a Crown Vic. The only problem is that the height in the tray area is only 11 1/4" which means that I will have side panels only 9 1/2" high. Will the loss of a half an inch compromise the performance of the box and is the 850W a good choice for this application. TIA

Matt

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Re: Building an eight inch WO
Reply #1 - 08/14/06 at 22:57:02

Infinity makes some great subs, although I have no experience with their 9 inch version, I can recommend them as a companys.

As far as the height- make it as large as you can fit and you shouldn't have a problem.

IP Logged
Yok666
Ex Member

Re: Building an eight inch WO
Reply #2 - 09/03/06 at 21:48:59

Well I have almost completed the box, I'm now just waiting for the drivers to arrive so I can finish it off. Here are some pics.

I was able to make the box out of only 1 4' X 8' piece of 3/4" MDF board. I had the store do all of the major cuts and cut the rest using a Skill saw with a 40 tooth carbide blade. The box is really heavy. Once the drivers are in I don't think anyone will be carting it away without help.

IP Logged
Yok666
Ex Member

Re: Building an eight inch WO ( PIC'S )
Reply #3 - 09/05/06 at 14:06:27

I have another question. I just measured the sealed volume behind the driver and I came up with a volume of .61 cubic feet. When I checked the speaker spec's I find the recommended box size to be .35 cubic feet for a sealed enclosure and .54 cubic feet for a bandpass enclosure. Is the actual volume close enough to the recommended value or should I reduce the box volume? The speaker spec's are; Qts .42, Vas .61 and Fs 28,8. For the record I am SQ person, I leave the SPL to my son.

IP Logged
Lee in Arkansas
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/05/06 at 14:33:35

Add bracing to bring the volume down. Don't forget to subtract the volume of the speaker from the chamber volume, as well.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/05/06 at 15:36:38

[quote author=Yok666  link=1155583718/0#3 date=1157461587]I have another question. I just measured the sealed volume behind the driver and I came up with a volume of .61 cubic feet. When I checked the speaker spec's I find the recommended box size to be .35 cubic feet for a sealed enclosure and .54 cubic feet for a bandpass enclosure. Is the actual volume close enough to the recommended value or should I reduce the box volume? The speaker spec's are; Qts .42, Vas .61 and Fs 28,8. For the record I am SQ person, I leave the SPL to my son. [/quote]

i would try it the way it is first, and if its a little 'boomy' then put some blacks of wood in the sealed area to make the sealed volume closer to munfacturers specks, but i dont think you will need to, the larger sealed area my just allow the drivers to play lower and louder with less power.

IP Logged
Yok666
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/07/06 at 00:49:32

Thanks for the response. Lee you made a good point I had forgotten to include the speaker. It looks like it will work out. I also added a few pieces, after reading a post by DirtDawg in another thread, to smooth the sharp corners in the horn. (See Pic)

I also radiused the sharp edges and the mouth of the horn. All I need now is my drivers.

IP Logged
rock4016
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/27/06 at 16:30:51

Did you get your drivers yet? If so, how does it sound?

IP Logged
Yok666
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/08/06 at 16:08:49

I just got the drivers a few days ago and I have just installed them. I haven't received my threaded inserts yet so I am testing the speaker without the top on flipped over on the rug in the living room. So far the speaker is sounding great. I have been noticing the break in of the drivers as I'm listening, every so often I have to adjust the subwoofer volume down as the drivers free up. Overall so far so good.

IP Logged
Yok666
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/21/06 at 22:31:14

Well I finally got the box finished three weeks ago. Installing 50 6mm threaded inserts to hold the top on was a royal pain in the butt. The end result looks good though, but it sounds even better. I have been testing the sub in my home theater system. Yesterday I watched Master And Commander and I was amazed at the tight solid hard hitting bass that comes out of this speaker. It just blows my 12 inch 350 watt ported cube out of the water.  :D The final consensus is that the cube has to go. My only remaining question is whether to build a WO32 or another WO (10" this time) for the home theater. I can't wait to get this in the car. I will have some pictures later.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/22/06 at 03:32:26

Nice build.
A WO has more output and better for HT in my opinion.
But who am I to talk I just finished  a 12" WO32 because the scrap lumber I had was only 24x33.
Yes I was bored! If the lumber was bigger it would have been a 36x36 WO

IP Logged
hannes
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/23/06 at 18:15:41

Gexter:
any comments on the 12" WO32? Everything as expected,
i.e., clean bass, just a tad more output than the 10" version?

Sorry for thread-hijacking, but I am interested in a tweaked
WO32...

Bye,
 Hannes

IP Logged
Yok666
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/12/06 at 23:43:23

Here are a couple of pictures of the WO with the drivers mounted.  

I painted it blue because everyone else uses black.

Plus it matches my interior.  

Smiley

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 12/13/06 at 13:38:20

[quote author=Yok666  link=1155583718/0#13 date=1165967003]
I painted it blue because everyone else uses black.
Smiley [/quote]
That's awesome!!!

Looks great man! How's it sound?

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/14/06 at 02:30:32

wo is great wo32 is unbelieveable. you have a wo, you dont have a wo32. the wo32 does everything the wo does and much more.

(built to plans of course not modded)    ;)

IP Logged
Buggers
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 12/14/06 at 18:00:00

I have an 89 Crown Vic and the WO will fit in the spare tire tray. Maybe yours will to?

IP Logged
Yok666
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 12/29/06 at 17:49:53

Well Buggers that is exactly where I was going to put it. Here is a pic of the installed WO.

Everyone who has heard this baby has been impressed. In the car my hair is being blown around a little bit and I'm only driving it with 100 watts RMS.   Smiley  All that I have to do now is build up a spacer so I can install the rear 6/9's.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 12/29/06 at 18:27:38

looking great. but feed her more powah  :-*

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 12/30/06 at 01:00:01

need more pics, cant figure out where in the car that is?

errrr, and more powah!

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 12/30/06 at 04:36:57

[quote author=hannes  link=1155583718/0#11 date=1164305741]Gexter:
any comments on the 12" WO32? Everything as expected,
i.e., clean bass, just a tad more output than the 10" version?

Sorry for thread-hijacking, but I am interested in a tweaked
WO32...

Bye,
 Hannes [/quote]

I have the 12" WO32 in my basement and fired it up. It is not as accurate and fast as my 6"WO32 but a whole lot lower of course. But I don't know if I would do it again . It is faster than the WO but I cannot say it is deeper. I am unable to do any remotely accurate testing anymore.

All I have run into it is 100 watts and its impressive but not much more than some other projects. I can hear the house making some creaks on the low notes so thats kinda cool with only 100 watts. this was my last bass project and I always wanted to build a big WO32.
I think that the 8 " WO  or an 8" WO32 would be cool and so much smaller.
I really like this 8 project its nice work and if is like any of my WO projects its a good one.

I started other projects for now with my youngest sons car and my CRV ( thats a nightmare)

thats really nice work Yok666 while my 12 DB fits in my sons car I am thinking that a 8" Wo might be the ticket

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 12/30/06 at 06:24:38

Nice work York!

Any plans to put a flat panel in behind it to cover it up? Maybe a plexi panel for the amp and blocks?

I like the hair moving thing. Not an easy task in that type of car. Certainly no easy task with only 100 watts. Of course that amp is a bit stronger than the rating IMHO.

Good job

Robert

IP Logged
dbjunkies
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 12/31/06 at 16:44:57

is the WO firing forward into the seat? -- looks very nice!

IP Logged
Yok666
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 12/31/06 at 19:06:21

Musgofasa
I wasn't going to cover it up. The wiring is protected and I like to have the air flowing around the amp. I feel that rather than the Soundstream being underrated they are just honest with their power ratings.

dbjunkies
Yes it is firing into the seat. I wanted to keep the bass in the car as I doubt my neighbors share my taste in music

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 12/31/06 at 22:22:34

all my car subs sounded better fireing backwards?...try it. Grin

IP Logged
dbjunkies
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 01/02/07 at 18:51:30

IP Logged
ttocs
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 01/21/07 at 19:44:04

what would be the smallest you could make the box with 8's?  I am wanting to put one in my 94 mustang gt with 8's and have 15" between the bottom of the trunk and the package tray.  I would like to face it up and fire it through the factory sub opening if I can.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 01/21/07 at 19:56:27

24x 36 but wait! only 10 thick.
I cannot be done unless your real smart and you have room for a 48 wide WO.
But now you get to spend a couple weeks figuring it out and then build it and find out that it may not work at all.

Then you think to yourself if I was going to custom build a box I should have built ported or bandpass, I spent way too much time on a poor sounding box by trying to hack the design that much.

Thats my opinion anyway and I am a Hack
Don't do it unless you really understand the box, and it will no longer be a WO

IP Logged
Yok666
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 01/21/07 at 20:34:01

My box ended up being 11 inches high. I wouldn't worry about firing through an opening the bass travels right through the seat like it isn't there. Plus my wife likes the back massage she gets when my son plays some rap.  :)

IP Logged
ttocs
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 01/21/07 at 23:05:11

I was hoping that with 8's I could make it smaller.  Thanks fer yer help I guess............

[quote author=gexter  link=1155583718/15#26 date=1169409387]24x 36 but wait! only 10 thick.
I cannot be done unless your real smart and you have room for a 48 wide WO.
But now you get to spend a couple weeks figuring it out and then build it and find out that it may not work at all.

Then you think to yourself if I was going to custom build a box I should have built ported or bandpass, I spent way too much time on a poor sounding box by trying to hack the design that much.

Thats my opinion anyway and I am a Hack
Don't do it unless you really understand the box, and it will no longer be a WO [/quote]
Embarrassed

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 01/22/07 at 00:29:06

[quote author=ttocs  link=1155583718/15#28 date=1169420711]I was hoping that with 8's I could make it smaller.  Thanks fer yer help I guess............

Embarrassed [/quote]

How about basic ported enclosure 8" on the deck as well as the ports
build a ported enclosure that is tight against the rear deck lid.
You could remove the deck cover to the steel without wreaking it and then put a ported box so it vents and fires up through the steel ( try to place everything so it can) and then make a cover with accustic carpet.
When you need to you can remove eveything later

Or just build the 24x36 with the 8" and fire it toward the trunk.
and tighten down to the truck floor as best you can.
Thats what I would do because I am getting lazy and do not have the time to fabricate anymore.

Sorry for being so negative
Best lof luck

IP Logged
ttocs
Ex Member

Reply #30 - 01/22/07 at 03:57:15

I did some measuring, and I actually do have 4 foot almost exactly between the wheel wheels if it would be possible to make it as shallow as possible(15").  I know I could build a simple box for them, and would be willing to try if I had to later but I am really just curious about the WO as I have never heard one before.  I can build it if we could figure out the design.  I have been installing professionally for almost 15 yrs and have access to everything I would need for the build.  I am just not familiar with this box and how to work out the demensions to get it to fit where I want it.  What I would like to do as I said is have it firing upwards through the rear deck.  I would like to build the box with the top/bottom out of plexe so that when the seat is folded down, or the trunk open you can see the box and what it is.  It would look pretty cool I think, can ya help?

IP Logged
nubz69
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 01/24/07 at 03:13:15

I did this years ago and used two RF DVC 8" subs.  With a knock off 400watt peak amp (100wrms at best) I was hitting 135.9dbSPL.  When I put real power to the subs it was unreal.  I never had it measured but from being in the car audio buisness I would say it was on the order of 140-142dbSPL.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print