04/19/24 at 17:16:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noisy pot in SE84CS (Read 5153 times)
UncleRobb
Ex Member

Noisy pot in SE84CS
08/07/06 at 15:39:13

The potentiometer in my (4 years old) SE84CS has become noisy. Since I have no seperate input stage, I rely on the pot to change the volume of the sound. Not only do I hear scratching noise when I turn the knob, I also get sustained noise at some settings of the pot although other settings are quiet.

Since it looks that I'm in need of a new pot, I wonder if it makes sense to use a stepped attenuator instead. Does anybody have experience using one? Where can I get a stepped attenuator that would fit into the SE84CS?

Thanks, Robert

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Re: Noisy pot in SE84CS
Reply #1 - 08/07/06 at 22:40:16

Robert,

It's been a while, good to hear from you.  

I think it's *very* likely that what you have is nothing other than a bit of minor dirt or corrosion in there.  Before you go looking for other pots, buy a can of contact cleaner from Radio Shack for $6 or whatever it costs.  Unplug the amp and then spray the pot, working it back and forth.  Do it a couple of times, wait a bit and then turn the amp back on and see if that did the trick.  With the amp just being four years old, unless you left it out by the sea for the whole time I doubt there is any major deterioration.

Dave

IP Logged
UncleRobb
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/07/06 at 23:07:25

I just cleaned the pot as Dave suggested and... voila!... the noise is essentially gone. When I turn the knob, I can only hear a very silent scratching noise. Thanks Dave!

Of course, I could/should have come up with this idea myself.   Roll Eyes

But... after my father surprisingly passed away in spring 2004, I suddely lost all interest in the audio hobby although I continued using the old equipment. I guess, I should have said goodbye or something.  ::)

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/08/06 at 04:28:41

Sorry to hear that Rob, hope you'll stick around and contribute from time to time.  Happy listening.

Dave

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print