Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 09:59:08 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vintage McIntosh with Decware speakers (Read 10664 times)
tony
Ex Member

Vintage McIntosh with Decware speakers
07/25/06 at 06:22:35

I have an old 1963 McIntosh MA 230 integrated that I'm having refurbished (new caps, tubes, etc.). I grew up with this amp, which belonged to my dad, and I've always loved the sound. It was originally mated with a pair of "end table" looking Bozaks. It's only 30 wpc., so I naturally found my way to Decware in my quest for contemporary speakers to buy. I had a nice chat with Steve about a month ago... a lovely, intelligent man, and a fellow drummer.
I'm sure that the MG 944s, the 1.5s, and the 3.0s would work great with this low-powered old honey. My living room is 23' X 19' and opens fully to an 11' X 11' living room... so there's some air to move. Also, there's some unusual cutaways (front window area, added corner where the dining room starts) that make it a complex large space. Steve spoke highly about the 1.5s and I know I'd love them in a smaller room, but I'm not sure they would be enough for this large an area...and deep enough accurate bass for some of my tastes. I listen to mostly electric and acoustic jazz, but lots of classical music, rock, and other contemporary stuff as well. In a lot of the music I listen to, most electric bass players use 5 or 6 stringed instruments with the low "B" (fundamental: 31.5 hertz?).
I'd love to talk with Bob Ziegler about his suggestion of what to try first, for I know he's been making some mods with the 3.0s and MGs. If anyone has already tried any of these models with old Mac tube gear, please chime in! In any case, I'm highly confident one these 3 models is going to knock me out. It's seems ridiculously hard to find truly intelligently designed efficient full range speakers with us lower watt tube lovers in mind... I'm SO glad I discovered the Decware sight.

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Re: Vintage McIntosh with Decware speakers
Reply #1 - 07/25/06 at 12:58:57

Hey, welcome, glad you discovered this site as well!

I'm using the RL2 speakers with the Decware 5 watt EL84 Monoblocks.  I generally use them in a small room, but now and then I set them up in the considrably (about three times) larger living room/dining room with the same amps. . . and they do a great job of conveying all the information on my cd collection with quite enough headroom.  This large space is untreated and I get quite good bass from these speakers.  Sure, not Imperial SO or large powered sub bass but musical and I don't feel I'm missing anything here.

Mainly listen to jazz, blues, Brazilian and some sixties rock. . . .Former drummer (I still have drumkits, just don't "bang" with any frequency.)

IP Logged
tony
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/27/06 at 19:23:55

I'm definately NOT into subs. I would just like to hear smooth, tight, and even (no notes louder than others) in the low frequency range down into the low 30's to suit some of my tastes in music. After listening to about a dozen traditional ported towers, I think this design is problematic in terms of evenness of notes... and tightness of sound. The folks at Mac recommended Paradigm, which is OK in terms of the published sensitivity... but the models I've heard all pronounce things in the 100 htz or so area. My guess is that with a 30 wpc tube/solid state hybrid, this will only get worse.
I'm intrigued with the good things I've read about well designed transmission lines (PMC FB1+ and GB1 for example, though the efficiency is questionable). Therefore, I'm thinking about starting with Bob's MG944s. If the lows are too much for my wierd shaped large room, or they seem too "forward", the amazing price on those makes it a no brainer to restock and go with either the 1.5s or the 3.0s next. I'm quite intrigued with the combo design of the latter.
In any case, I can't go wrong with this company and their return policy. At these prices, why not get both the MG944s AND the 1.5s... the former for music I like "in my face" or to rock the house and the latter for laid back acoustic/classical concert hall "you are there" soundstage stuff? That's so possible to do at a combined cost less than the Paradigm Reference Studio 100s, and a lot less than the smallest Signature model (which sounded better). The 3.0s by themselves beat that price even more, but just how do they combine the best of both worlds? I'll trust Bob's input on that one.

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/27/06 at 19:30:42

Sounds like a good plan!

And Bob knows his stuff.  Wonderful man as well!

IP Logged
mike_c
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/30/06 at 17:31:20

[quote author=tony  link=1153808555/0#2 date=1154024635] At these prices, why not get both the MG944s AND the 1.5s... the former for music I like "in my face" or to rock the house and the latter for laid back acoustic/classical concert hall "you are there" soundstage stuff? That's so possible to do at a combined cost less than the Paradigm Reference Studio 100s, and a lot less than the smallest Signature model (which sounded better). The 3.0s by themselves beat that price even more, but just how do they combine the best of both worlds? I'll trust Bob's input on that one. [/quote]

You've touched on something there I've been wondering about quite a bit myself recently, regarding the 3.0's. I've owned a pair of 1.5's for about 1-1/2 years now, and they do soooooo many things right and sound phenomenal with the type of music I listen to mostly (small combo acoustic jazz), but...whenever I play any kind of rock music through them, I also feel like I'm missing something. They are NOT an 'in your face' speaker at all...actually I would go so far as to say they are just about the exact opposite of that. I think what I find lacking in them with rock music is a certain bite, or visceral "punch", that so much of that music requires. I'd been considering selling them and putting the funds toward a purchase of the 3.0's in the hopes that they would fair better with this type of music, but...everytime I play some jazz on the 1.5's, I think to myself "there's no way I can part with these things..." and, well...they're still here.  :)  

Now that the MG944's have come along, this process has started all over again. The main thing that I find appealing about those speakers is their extension in the low end and that extremely appealing price. By reading various descriptions of these speakers, I think that they would certainly up the "oomph" factor in rock music, but I wonder at what expense to the jazz records that I spin 90% of the time? This type of thought process ultimately leads me back to looking at the 3.0's, thinking (as you stated yourself) that they might be the "best of both worlds", so to speak...

Hmmmmm.

I'll be curious to see Bob's response to this issue as well...

IP Logged
tony
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/31/06 at 15:53:13

Thanks Mike,

You've helped to confirm my reservation about the 1.5s, though they're obviously a GREAT speaker. The MG owners on this site love them, and indicate that (after Bob's final mod) they're a very neutral speaker. An earlier review I read (conducted at Bob's place in Arizona) seemed to indicate they were more forward sounding... but also indicated that Bob was still in the process of tweeting the final version of these. This reviewer felt the MGs and the 1.5s represented opposite ends of a spectrum, with the 3.0s in the middle... with all 3 sounding incredible. What is confusing is that the reviewer concluded the 3.0s to be the best choice for those of us who like "a little of this and a little of that... BUT NOT ALL OF IT". What does THAT mean? In addition, now that the MGs in their final version are being heralded as "neutral", how is this version different than the one that the "Arizona" reviewer on the Decware reviews page heard at the time?
Interesting stuff, but I'm more than confident either the MGs or the 3.0s are gonna be exactly what I'm looking for... I'd just like to know as much up front as I can before I order one over the other first, considering there will be some additional expense in shipping and restocking. Financial logic says try the MGs first, but I'm intrigued that the 3.0s offer a hybrid element that's somehow "magical" and must not be missed.

IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/01/06 at 10:03:18

Hey Tony,

Welcome to the forum.

I have heard most of the RL variations over that last few years.  For me, I would be happy with any of them.  As I see it, the RL concept is to present a more believable soundstage and that is what is most important to me.

I am by no means an expert on any of this but the Decware products offer the best value for your money that I have found.  Bob Ziegler's craftsmanship is as good or better than anything I have seen at any price.  

I'm not sure of your location but if you could make it to the Decfest in October you could experience the whole menu.

dennis

IP Logged
tony
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/11/06 at 03:54:55

Thanks Paul,

I'm already most confident that any of the 3 speakers discussed will sound terrific with my Mac... just a matter of which will be most synergistic and magical as to my tastes.
Stay tuned, folks... Bob informed me he's got a new version of the RL-3 for the retail market coming in about a month.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print