Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 23:37:19 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New TUBE for Zen amps (Read 40963 times)
fabjack
Ex Member

Re: New TUBE for Zen amps
Reply #50 - 10/01/06 at 04:42:48

Hey Rap    Thanks for your help I am sorry that i could not answer sooner but I could not find where I posted that question. my stupid E-mail thing would not let me E-mail but on Thursday I called Steve and he explained all of that about the new tube and the ex mod well Friday my amp was in the mail for the mod and now I am waiting again! Steve seems really cool and very patient and helpful dealing with my stuff. From what I have seen this new tube is really fine! I still do not feel like I am in the right spot to post this. I guess thats why I am called lost in space on some sites because i really am on the internet ha ha!  One of these days I will become functional on computers until then I am in trouble ha ha! did not mean to interupt you guys!~     goodnight Undecided

IP Logged
chris1
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 11/04/06 at 22:04:54

Quick question:  has anyone run this tube w/the zen c?  I've one on order, yet it seems one in this thread runs just the C. ???

Thanks,
Chris Evans

IP Logged
magicsound
Ex Member

Reply #52 - 11/06/06 at 03:15:03

[quote author=chris1  link=1151980939/45#51 date=1162677894]Quick question:  has anyone run this tube w/the zen c?  I've one on order, yet it seems one in this thread runs just the C. ???

Thanks,
Chris Evans [/quote]

Yes...I'm using these tubes in my strapped c with good results. I got 3-5 % gain and dynamics.

Mon 8)

IP Logged
Jason_S
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 11/26/06 at 17:44:27

I find the 6n2p's in the Torii mk II are not right.  I'm still using  6922's.
In the original Torii 'C' with the the preamp stage, this is THE tube for it.  Anyone who has one of these amps and hasn't tried it, should.

Jason

IP Logged
RobLikesTubes
Ex Member

Reply #54 - 11/29/06 at 14:18:00

FINALLY !!......................

I  had  been  wanting  to try  these  tubes for a  while, but a  slightly  botched e-bay  transaction, a USPS mis-delivery, and an  elongated cryo-treatment  process had  me  waiting  for  weeks.

Last night, I discovered the wait was WELL  worth it !
I  slapped one  each  of these  cryo-treated  6n2p-EVs into my  pair of  Selects  with aging  sets  of cryoed 6P15P-Evs and  started  spinning. I  immediately  noticed the  need  to  lower the  gain on  my Shanling  CDP by about 8-10  steps for  normal  listening  levels.  

Before putting  these  tubes in,  I listened to a  few  tracks  off  Bela Fleck and the  Flecktones:  Hidden Land CD (one of my  favorite recordings  of late, highly  recommended) with  the  NOS Mullards  I  had  been using  for  months.
I'm  very  familiar  with this recording, perhaps  TOO  familiar !  It  sounded  great  as  always.  There are a  few  small  passages of  max  SPL  where  my  system  is  normally  pushed to the  edge  of  clipping  at higher  volumes  and this  is  where I  hoped these  new  tubes  would help. Once  I  swapped  out the  Mullards for the  new 6n2p-EVs and  let  them  warm-up for about  20min, I  knew this  was  going to  be a  loooonnnngggggg  night in the  music  room.

Everything, and I  mean  EVERY THING sounded  better with these  new  tubes.

HF - nicely extended,  smooth and  shimmery without grain. I  did  notice a  bit  more  sibilance  on  female vocals,  but  it  sounded more revealing, then  flawed. Cymbals  were  crisper,  tighter, with more  sustain.

MIDS - straight  butter. With the  added gain, I  was  able  to  get to more than  adequate  volumes  with  NO  hint of  being  on the  edge of  clipping  with  even the  most  challenging  passages.  They  also  seemed to  tame  the  slight  ‘shout’  factor  of the  Fostex  drivers.

LF - Detail,  detail, detail.  Victor  Wootens  bass lines,  especially  the cuts  with  6-string had  me  hearing a  bunch of  new  subtleties and  details. I  found  myself  cutting  back  my  usual  setting  of 0db gain on the  Sunfire sub, to  -2 or -3db.

Things  got  even  better  when I  loaded a  fresh  set of
6P15P-EVs  into the  Selects.  The  tubes  were only  about 5  months  old,  but  have  been  ON  most  of that  time, and  had  lots  of  playtime. I  ended  up  awake   in the  music  room until  almost  3am. Haven't done that in  quite a  while !

Knock on  wood, I  have  experienced  none of the  white noise bursts  some  folks  here have  experienced with this  tube. I  bought  a  lot of  25 from a  fellow  in  the Ukrane  for  $1.85/tube including  shipping !  add $5.00/tube  for  cryo  treatment  and  you  have no  doubt THE  best  bargain I've  come  across in tubeland.  

RUN, don't  walk,  to  get  yourself  some of these !

IP Logged
Jason_S
Ex Member

Reply #55 - 12/01/06 at 22:29:03

[quote author=RobLikesTubes  link=1151980939/45#54 date=1164809880]Knock on  wood, I  have  experienced  none of the  white noise bursts  some  folks  here have  experienced with this  tube. I  bought  a  lot of  25 from a  fellow  in  the Ukrane  for  $1.85/tube including  shipping !  add $5.00/tube  for  cryo  treatment  and  you  have no  doubt THE  best  bargain I've  come  across in tubeland.  

RUN, don't  walk,  to  get  yourself  some of these !
[/quote]

I think that's the best way to buy them.  At that price you can afford to cull a few of the bad ones.
Yes there are bad ones.    ;D

Jason

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print