Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 13:11:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2 10db's in s-10 PICS! (Read 24205 times)
speakerfreak7
Ex Member

2 10db's in s-10 PICS!
06/24/06 at 01:33:09

This is my first time post on here. i'm only 17 and i am a car audio freak. i've been reading these for forums for a long time now and have learned so much. i thought i would show you guys some of the stuff i have done. i have built 2 db's and each has the decware 10 in them. pushed by a 1500 watt Hifonis amp which is running at 4 ohms so it's pushing 500 watts. i have a pair of jl audio 6.5 seperates in the doors pushed by a 60x2 audio art amp. it sounds really clean with very tight and accurate bass. which is what i was looking for. here are some pics.      well if u have any suggetions or helpful advice i'm all ears.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: 2 10db's in s-10 PICS!
Reply #1 - 06/24/06 at 06:16:25

i like the idea of one fireing to the front and on to the back...
try to reverse the phase on one of them to see how it sounds.
other than that, i like it  :D

IP Logged
speakerfreak7
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/24/06 at 19:39:59

i would like to try your idea but i'm using a mono amp. it looks like a 2 channel because ir has 4 terminals coming out of the amp but they all go into one channel. but thanks for the idea.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/25/06 at 05:49:11

why can't you do that ?
it's possible. if they're wired in parralel it's even easier.

IP Logged
speakerfreak7
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/25/06 at 18:33:22

You can???? i didn't know that. how exactly do u do it.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/26/06 at 05:51:34

if they're parralel (i guess they are, since the dhm is 8ohm and you said the amp sees 4 ohms) you just have to wire the + wire to the - terminal (on the sub) and the - wire to the + terminal. do this on only one of the subs and check the impedance with a DMM just to make sure you got it right.

IP Logged
speakerfreak7
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/26/06 at 21:05:51

ok i'll try that but i'm pretty sure it's just going to double the ohms. because that one speaker would be wited in series with the other one. i don't know we'll see.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/27/06 at 05:26:39

top is parralel. bottom is series. in both drawings one speaker is out of phase with the other. push-pull isobaric. call me a goose if the top one doubles the ohms.

IP Logged
Lee in Arkansas
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/27/06 at 13:20:01

Actually, Adrian, for the bottom one to be series, the red line from the amp/ouput terminal has to go to the (+) on the bottom speaker, otherwise it's completely unpowered.

The top one halves the impedance, the bottom doubles it.

To run your two DB's out of phase, just switch he wires on one of them. It's easy. If they're parallel'd into one ohm, even better.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/28/06 at 05:51:41

i wrote the terminals wrong on the bottom one. but i don't think that means the combo will be unpowered...

IP Logged
Lee in Arkansas
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/28/06 at 12:13:47

Ah! I figured out what you were doin'.. You left out the (what should be) negative connection on the bottom most speaker.

Hope ya don't mind me pirating your drawing a little.

I just included 'Series' configurations 'cause I'm bored out of my mind.

Parallel = 1/2 impedance
Series = 2x impedance

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/28/06 at 13:55:19

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=160

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=161

It is far less desirable to make subwoofer to subwoofer connections in series. Because of slight and unavoidable differences between speakers and because of the high likelihood of uneven loading between different speakers in a car, there will be slight differences in the mechanical behavior of the two speakers in series. These differences in movement result in induced voltage (called back EMF) being created by the speakers across the series connection. This effect causes a problem when two speakers which behave differently are connected in series because the speakers can modulate each other (cause each other to move), resulting in distortion. The problem becomes more serious as more speakers are connected in series.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/28/06 at 19:21:58

[quote author=Lee in Arkansas  link=1151112789/0#10 date=1151493227]Ah! I figured out what you were doin'.. You left out the (what should be) negative connection on the bottom most speaker.

Hope ya don't mind me pirating your drawing a little.

I just included 'Series' configurations 'cause I'm bored out of my mind.

Parallel = 1/2 impedance
Series = 2x impedance [/quote]
Just wait till the amp gets here, so i'll know your adress. i'll see you in court Angry
how could i have made such a stupid mistake with the series drawing ?  :-/ Undecided Undecided oh, well, at least i got the parralel right.
i just hope i have my sub wired right. dvc, wired in series. everything seems to be alright until now...  :-/

IP Logged
speakerfreak7
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/28/06 at 20:38:41

wow thanks for the help guys. especially the drawings! those really cleared things up for me. i still have yet to mess around with the wiring yet. i'm too busy painting my WO. but i will try ur ideas and let u know how everything went.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 06/28/06 at 23:22:58

Guys, even the second set of drawings are incorrect.  First off, the lower drawings are wired exactly the same as the upper drawings.  SO really no point in showing them.  

Secondly, the Series drawing are correct, yet the subs would fire towards each other, not the same way.

Use the drawings to wire DVC subs, with each sub in the drawing a coil.

Otherwise, for wiring subs in series, but to have them in mechanical phase, connect the second subs + to the amps - and the second subs - to the first subs +.  That is to make drivers clamshelled fire mechanically in phase.

IP Logged
speakerfreak7
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 06/29/06 at 03:14:31

So J Rock you told me how to to put the subs in series and get then out of phase, but i wuold rather have them parallel and out of phase. is that possible???

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 06/29/06 at 04:07:16

Yep:

Parallel Out of Phase
Amp      Sub 1       Sub 2
(+)------(+)-------(-)
(-)------(-)-------(+)

Parallel halfs the impedance of one sub, i.e. if the subs are both 4 ohms, the amp sees a 2 ohm load.

IP Logged
Lee in Arkansas
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 06/29/06 at 12:53:57

CRAP! I completely missed that J-Rock.  :'( Cry Cry Cry Cry

dammit........

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 06/29/06 at 16:36:15

I don't understand what's so difficult with this, guys. You've all done this several times before. What's up? Tongue

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 06/29/06 at 19:11:24

we are all st00ped  :-/ Undecided Undecided
please wake us up  :P

IP Logged
Lee in Arkansas
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 06/29/06 at 21:24:22

Having an off month. You'll notice I haven't posted much lately.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 06/29/06 at 21:38:38

Woah there DD, I am absolutely fine.  Its everyone else having problems...  Like always. LOL

IP Logged
4TunaRunner
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 09/14/06 at 21:21:53

I wanted to point out the best thing about this entire project: The DBs are strapped down!  

Just a little PSA for all of us: We need to keep these projects from earning their name.  In a rollover a couple of 100# boxes could absolutley be your Death.

IP Logged
Wreckinthehouse
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 09/18/06 at 18:04:29

It really dosnt matter how he wires them because putting one of them out of phase will sound terrible. If it were iso loaded it would be a different matter. The best way for this to sound is with the ports as close to one another in phase so that he could benefit from the waves coupling. I've tried just about everything that can be tried with subs and deathboxes, and the laws of physics still apply with loading.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print