03/28/24 at 22:50:38 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brad (Read 7164 times)
RobLikesTubes
Ex Member

Brad
04/06/06 at 12:09:23

I  have  long  been intrigued by ribbon tweeters, and the idea of adding one to my HDTs.

I  took your  advice in the previous  thread and  ordered the  Aurum Cantas ribbon tweeters. I  found a  Canadian  outfit  that  had them  for  about  $10 less than  anyone else, and  $1  shipping !!

I few  questions  on your implementation...
1)  What  type of  hook-up wire did you  use ?
2)  How  did  you mount it. (top  mount) ?
3)  Source/type/price  of  cap(s), how  many  per tweeter, how  did  you  connect ?

Thanks,
Rob

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Re: Brad
Reply #1 - 04/06/06 at 18:03:51

[quote author=RobLikesTubes  link=1144325363/0#0 date=1144321763]I  have  long  been intrigued by ribbon tweeters, and the idea of adding one to my HDTs.

I  took your  advice in the previous  thread and  ordered the  Aurum Cantas ribbon tweeters. I  found a  Canadian  outfit  that  had them  for  about  $10 less than  anyone else, and  $1  shipping !!

I few  questions  on your implementation...
1)  What  type of  hook-up wire did you  use ?
2)  How  did  you mount it. (top  mount) ?
3)  Source/type/price  of  cap(s), how  many  per tweeter, how  did  you  connect ?

Thanks,
Rob [/quote]

1) Single twisted pair of Cat-5.  The shortest length that would reach from tweeter to the speaker binding posts.  Cat-5 is dirt cheap and sounds really good for high frequencies.

2) My mount is still temporary but works well.  I used a ~1 inch ball of "blue tack" to affix the tweeter bottom (which is flat) to the top front of the cabinet - inside the semi-circle cutout of the removable plate as shown in the picture. The bottom of the tweeter's front plate hangs over the top/front endge of the HDT baffle (see pic)

3) Right now I'm using two paralleled Auricaps I had on-hand with an equivalent value of ~1uF.  I'd like to try Hoveland or Mundorf caps some day, but they sound good as is.  The caps are hooked to the red(+) terminal of the HDT with the Cat-5 running from the other side of the caps to th (+) of the tweeter

So basically the tweeter is in parallel with the HDT, with a cap on the (+).

Good luck. Let us know what you think.  Bear in mind the tweeter and caps will need to break in.

IP Logged
RobLikesTubes
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/06/06 at 18:58:08

Thanks  much.  Ordered the Mundorf  caps.. should have them  fired-up and  burning in by the  middle of  next  week.

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/06/06 at 22:03:20

Btw, as I mentioned before. They sounded better duct-taped to the outside of the cabinet.  I don't know why. Of course this looked like crap.  Anyway, I was trying to get them lower to approximate where they would be if I cut a hole in the baffle and mounted them directly above the fostex driver.

One of these days I will put my jig saw into action.

If you do mount the tweeter into the baffle, I would recommend placing some felt on the baffle to the left and right of the tweeter. This will reduce baffle reflections with this tweeter which has good horizontal dispersion.

IP Logged
RobLikesTubes
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/07/06 at 12:17:28

When i  previosly  mentioned/asked  steve  about  adding a  ribbon  tweeter to the  HDTs  , he  stated  that to  do it properly, the  wizzer  cone  of the  Fostex  should be  removed.

I'm going to experiment  with  things  as they  are, and then perhaps go  for the  DFR8s, but  have  him alter them for  maximum synergy with the  ribbon...   we'll  see.

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/08/06 at 03:19:35

Cutting off one's wizzer? Ouch! I'm nervouse making permanent mods like that.

I have also ready where people use paper hole punches along the whizzer cone edge (and sometimes all over the whizzer).  The resulting whizzer having half circles cut out of it's top/outer edge - looking something like the top of a king's crown if you can picture that.  Supposedly it improves the sound somehow though I don't know if its been substantiated or just some rumor or claim of one guy. But again, I'm not so brave.  Some day I'd like to try this experiment, maybe on a Radio shack or other cheap driver which has a whizzer cone - just to observe the affects.

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/08/06 at 05:49:33

The DFR8 high end response looks very promising, perhaps negating the need for the tweeter. I would certainly hear that driver first before hacking it up and adding a tweeter.

Corey

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print