04/18/24 at 09:25:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dual ended Deathbox? (Read 23538 times)
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Dual ended Deathbox?
04/04/06 at 16:19:17

I just had a thought while looking at this forum. What would happen if you iso loaded two db's, then removed the covers on the vented ends, and butted the two db's together?

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: Dual ended Deathbox?
Reply #1 - 04/04/06 at 16:25:13

i was thinking about two dbs sharing the same sealed chamber, each tuned identiacally.
i guess sharing the vented part would affect tuning.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/04/06 at 16:34:16

'twas just somethin' that popped in my head and I figured I'd toss it up for discussion.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/04/06 at 17:00:13

one thing's for sure, any way you would join 2 dbs together it would look great.
ii would tune first, then remove the lids, and put some sort of mdf strips on the inside of one box, so that the other box would slide onto those. that way you could bolt them togeter, without affecting the look.
is it neccesary to iso-load when doing this "coupling' ?

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/04/06 at 17:03:14

if the 2 dbs would share the sealed chamber, you would end up with something like a tunable hw

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/04/06 at 17:19:10

How about putting the sealed ends together and tuning each a little different? ???

Sounds like a Housewrecker. Undecided

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/04/06 at 17:41:09

dd, don't try to steal my ideas  >:(  :D

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/04/06 at 18:05:56

DD is right and knows it..
6th order bandpass.
this has been discussed before awhile ago.. However its always good to rethink things.
The one we were discussing was a tunable HWK. the center chamber was adjustable. I had started one but it was to much work for a fella that has other real life things to do.
the center volume was adjustable as well as the insert volume..
I think it's an awsome idea but needs a whole lot of attention to sealing and trail and error..

Think you new wife will go for it Jet?

I had the time I would play with it, but thats what kind of fella I am at heart....experimentation rules......

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/04/06 at 18:15:17

imagine 2 db12s put togheter. that would be one tall mother f-er.
gex, having 2 dbs sharing the sealed chamber would be a diffrent animal from your tunable hw. you said that the center chamber was meant to be tunable in you 'experiment'. but having 2 dbs means that you can tune all the three chambers, and play with the freq the vented chambers are tuned at.
it would probalby be more accurate than a hw  ???

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/04/06 at 18:17:12

The wifey will go for it, no problem. Her car would be the test subject. Cheesy

But first, I'm backlogged on box building. I still gotta build my buddies box for his 2 12's for his Prelude, then my surround system, then tweak a buddies box, THEN I'll have the time to do eet. Plus, I still need to buy access to the plans, I wanna do it right.

Adrian, I said iso-load them simply because I have enough drivers to do so(in a db10), and power, so why not?

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/04/06 at 18:20:41

agreed about iso. you would free some storage space Wink

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/04/06 at 18:44:27

so are you saying that it would not be a 6th order bandpass?

the center would slide back and forth as well as the volume inside the slide adjustable is what I intended to attempt to build.

The oppurtunities are endless as well as the configurations.. It does not have to follow all the rules to work and thats all I know.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/04/06 at 19:37:11

The sealed chamber for two woofers wouldn't have to be as large as a single chamber for the same subs.  The iso loading would have the VAS of each driver, allowing you to place them in half the size.

I would imagine with two subs which are isoloaded yet two of them in the same selaed chamber would work best with the sealed chamber the same size.

yes this has been talked abotu before also, i still got the pics I drew to explain better.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/04/06 at 19:50:43

That's kind of opposite what I'm going for.....

here:

Keep in mind, I know nothing of the internals of the DeathBox. I'm just guessing based on J's pictures.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/04/06 at 19:58:54

well, in that case, i would tune a normal DB to what sound sbest, then half that volume for the volume at the ends of the box in your drawing.

The middel would then be twice the distance from the top by the port, with the port being two half moons pushed together.

It would look seriously tight though, and would have th epotential to kick ass.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 04/04/06 at 20:09:19

I'll definately build it, sometime. I've got 4 el-cheapo Pyramid 400w 10's that I'll load it with.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 04/04/06 at 20:38:37

Maybe a little more simple, and smaller version.

I'm guessing that other baffle design is the DBII and this is the original DB. Ive just been researching pictures on the forum.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 04/04/06 at 21:05:09

Drew this up.

Yeah, I kinda like this idea. It'll be built soon enough. Probably before my HT speakers.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 04/04/06 at 22:12:59

id say build 2 seperate dbs exactly like plans and run em like that, mixing / blending output like you have in the drawing might not be a good thing? good in a wo, maybe maybe not good in the db? i have run 2 x dbs in a trunk. sweet.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 04/04/06 at 22:14:10

Duh!    
Ya I got it... Cry
not what I envisioned... creative as usual Jet.
A whole lot simplier than what I was thinking and overall a better chance at a successful build.
reminds me more of a WO without the horn and adjustable.. Kinda anyway

more of a 4th order with fries and a soda  :)

PS thanks for your contribution to the HT thread. It sparked some creative thinking. That I am still having fun with when at work of course.. No time for play at home..
Smiley

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 04/05/06 at 13:23:55

Would you not have a phase issue(iso-loaded DBs) with running speakers in phase in different chambers? I have tried two DBs(iso-loaded) with the sealed chamber connected to each other. I took the baffle(cut out attached to the lid) and used it to couple the DBs together. It sounded pretty good but phasing seem to be a problem,I think ???. I did not have enough time to finish the test before someone want to hear them separately. The reason I think phasing is an issue is that the DBs hooked together were easier to overdrive with less power than if you were running them separate. With the DBs hooked together also caused excessive heat from the amp. The only data I have to go by is comparing them run separate and then bolting them together, so more test need to be run. If anyone has any luck with this combo I would like to know as much info as possible and the different ways you could test this set up. Thanks.  HT-EXT

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 04/05/06 at 15:18:26

there ya go Jet !
your Da man... the one, the few, the proud, and the one that has not driven his wife to the limit of "the Hobby"

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 04/05/06 at 19:37:32

Well, you could esily throw the ends into phase with eachother.  That way the output from the port is in phase from both of the subs on the ends.  With that much air being able to move in and out, the subs could easily push against each other and not experience any problems, where running them in the same sealed chamber out of phase would make it a very difficult task for the Drivers.

I other words:

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 04/05/06 at 19:42:06

Thanks J. I didn't quite understand what he was asking until you answered it. That's what I was planning the entire time.

Is there any delay with a DB as there is with a WO?

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 04/06/06 at 04:11:49

thats a toughy there.

Normal Ported boxes have a considerable delay, however, the Db is just a normal box, since it is tuneable.

I would say you would have to measure the delay with a computer or other device.

In short, yes there is a delay. I wouldn't expect it to be more than the WO though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print