03/28/24 at 11:14:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cheapo Imperialo! (Read 10355 times)
J_Rock
Ex Member

Cheapo Imperialo!
03/30/06 at 21:22:33

Alright!  I have a new challange for everyone!

I really really really(Yeah 3 reallys)  want a pair of imperials.  

I plan on using them outdoors for parties, bonfires, etc.

Anyhow, they are going to be outside and prolly left out there permanantly(driver taken out when not in use).

They are going be used for jammin with friends, (Prolly drunk) and impressing people with bass.

I need to select drivers,  I want to do the PA/Theatre set up of the imperial(Basic imperial with HI Freq horn. on top).

So the main objectives are:
-Cheap
-Loud
-Cheap

Not sure if they will be biamped or passive XO'd.  

I can do either 2 15s or 1 18 in each...don't matter to me.

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Re: Cheapo Imperialo!
Reply #1 - 03/30/06 at 21:54:44

[quote author=J_Rock  link=1143757353/0#0 date=1143753753]Alright!  I have a new challange for everyone!

I really really really(Yeah 3 reallys)  want a pair of imperials.  

I plan on using them outdoors for parties, bonfires, etc.

[/quote]

Bonfires ??? wouldn´t it be easier just to chuck the wood on the fire with out building a SO from it first Wink

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/30/06 at 22:00:08

LOL that does sound easier!

IP Logged
stvcmty
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/30/06 at 22:10:19

For drivers to put in a full range imperial inexpensively, I would use a Peavey Scorpion, http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVSP1525 for the bulk of the sound, and whatever cheap 15” sub you can find for the other driver.  I have a car sub in my imperial, and it loads the horn well.

Stv

IP Logged
JimP
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/31/06 at 14:43:00

J-Rock,
Build the imperial out off exterior grade plywood which is ugly but cheap (er).  Put some exterior grade paint on it to hide the ugliness.  Parts Express has an eminence woofer on closeout that is priced right and actually has good specs for the Imperial;

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=299-388

You could always go the cardboard route, but for outside that sounds iffy.

I understand wanting to build one (I've build two) and also the budget issue, but the other thing to think about is how much time you will invest in building and whether you want to invest that time to build something that's good or crappy.  I thought about using cheap plywood (they are for PAs after all), but stumbled on to a deal with maple 13-ply for $28 a sheet.  I think it took 5 sheets for a full size imperial so even with that awesome deal it's still $150 US for the wood.  Then there's the glue, screws, biscuits, grills, wiring, binding posts, crossover, etc.

I'm certainly not trying to discourage you.  I think with some skillful scrounging you could make one on the cheap and be happy with the results.

Good Luck!

Jim P

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/31/06 at 17:43:11

as far as wood, screws and other hardware, I have no problem with that, I have it all already, I just am trying to find some good cheap woofers.  And I doubt I will spend more than one day in the shop building an pair.  I have no problem making WOs and DBs in an hour, so i figure and imperial should take me around 4 to 5 hours. so a good day of work for a pair.

Would you recommend that eminence driver in a half Imperial?  Or two in each imperial?

I may just build the imperials and test them out with some car subs I have and see how they sound.  I just doubt the car subs can get as high as necessary to cross over to the hifrequency horn.

What drivers would you all recommend for that part of the project?

IP Logged
weasel2htm
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/01/06 at 02:29:28

[quote author=J_Rock  link=1143757353/0#5 date=1143826991]
What drivers would you all recommend for that part of the project? [/quote]

From reading this thread and a little common sence, I would ...

Use JimP's Emience reccomendation

[quote author=JimP  link=1143757353/0#4 date=1143816180] Parts Express has an eminence woofer on closeout that is priced right and actually has good specs for the Imperial;

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=299-388

[/quote]

[quote author=stvcmty  link=1143757353/0#3 date=1143756619] for the bulk of the sound, and whatever cheap 15” sub you can find for the other driver.
[/quote]

There now you have the Cliff's notes (or in this case weasel notes) of this thread.  :D

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/01/06 at 21:15:53

I am sorry, I meant to find a driver for the hifrequency horn Steve has ontop of the Imperial for PA use.  

I was looking for a good quality, low cost, compression driver.

I plan on building my own horn lense for them, so throat size/etc is not an issue.

IP Logged
Braggi
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/03/06 at 03:53:32

IP Logged
weasel2htm
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/29/06 at 01:52:43

I was at Wal-Mart Yesterday and they had some "Durabrand" 12" Car Subs for $40.00 a piece, 90db efficient, but for the price, it's worth a try.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print