Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 15:30:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MY IMPERIAL LOOKS BLAND (Read 23390 times)
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

MY IMPERIAL LOOKS BLAND
03/21/06 at 02:01:22

My imperial was made from mdf, and it isnt the most pleasant thing to look at.  Im looking to cover it in something, preferably proffesional looking and durable.  What do you guys think?  I'm starting to get tired of the mdf look... Roll Eyes  

IP Logged
Brian
Ex Member

Re: MY IMPERIAL LOOKS BLAND
Reply #1 - 03/21/06 at 03:35:54

Hi BIG GEOFF,
I agree, Imperials are so massive that they are a great opportunity for some nice decoration.  I like their proprtions too.
I think an Imperial would look nice with the styling the Brunswick company put into bowling alleys in the 1940s & 50s.  A two tone veneer with the two colors put together in a scalloped pattern would look nice, or a pattern to create a crown like the emblem of the Hallmark greeting card company.  This crown could go on the side down low with it's points reaching up.  
To do a two tone pattern I would start with a single sheet of veneer and cut out the pattern with a knife instead of a saw so no wood is removed, then stain the two pieces their separate colors, then put them back together by gluing them onto the MDF.
The two colors could be wood tones, or rainbow colors are also available as wood dye. from Woodcraft http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5522
I wish these people had a color chart:  http://www.woodfinishsupply.com/PLaniline.html perhaps they would send a person one.
I like aniline dye for it's clarity.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/21/06 at 04:05:54

Or do a faux finish..

Like a marble finish and round the edges a little to smooth it out.
I think it would be incredible to walk in on a Imperial that someone thought was made out of marble.

Adds more meaning to the massiveness ( is that a word?)

or if your any good at art stuff, give it the illusion of being a piece of furniture by blending it in to wherever it is located.
that one would be way beyond me..

The bowling allley idea would look really retro and if you distressed it a bit and used that triangle pattern grill cloth you would make a few people scratch their heads. they would wonder out of which deserted theatre you pulled it out of..

the options are endless, the time and talent to pull it off is not

Smiley

IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/21/06 at 06:04:21

Cover all the panels with synthetic leapard or tiger fur!!!

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/21/06 at 13:03:04

[quote author=Circlomanen  link=1142910082/0#3 date=1142921061]Cover all the panels with synthetic leapard or tiger fur!!! [/quote]

Circlomanen - Nice to see you posting again.. no matter how warm and fuzzy your advice is.
Smiley  lol

IP Logged
Valiant_ap6
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/21/06 at 13:50:41

We used black metallic hammer paint on our Imperials and they look superb (roller brush), More photos soon. Just about got them sorted - a few surprises too! Stay tuned.

Gary

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/21/06 at 14:03:45

[quote author=Circlomanen  link=1142910082/0#3 date=1142921061]Cover all the panels with synthetic leapard or tiger fur!!! [/quote]
When I build a full-size imp.....that's soo what I'm doing.

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/21/06 at 14:39:12

If you wanted to do a lot of work and spend $50-100 you could line the entire outside and on into the mouth as far as you can see with .25" plywood.  Or even half that thickness.

This would increase overall strength and if you cut the pieces you could make it look like it was contructed from solid wood instead of mdf or plywood.  You could make it look like you spent over $1000 in wood alone.  Also, by lining the inside of the mouth and the outside, it would appear as though it was made of wood almost 2x as thick as the mdf you used (.75" mdf, .25" outer lining, .25" inside mouth makes the panels look like 1.25")  In reality, only a couple of the panels will be lined inside and out but the mouth area will be the only point of reference as to the actual thickness of material used.

The extra lining in the mouth would decrease cross sectional area but only by a bit so it should not be significant.

IP Logged
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/21/06 at 20:58:16

I was thinking about lining it with thin wooden panels, very carefully and then treating the wood with something to give it a really nice look Grin.  Im not artistic at all though so im not too sure about the painting.  I was also thinking maybe go for a look with carpeting covering it. What do you guys think?

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/21/06 at 23:54:15

well thats easy and natural looking.
I use plywood sheets and cover it with 1/4 veneer and solid wood trim pieces. done alot of this for stuff other than speakers, but it applies to speakers.
I bought a bunch of thin veneer 1/8 or so and wanna try my hand at that.
its cherry wood and I have to play with some stain on the pieces first.
I would go lighter in shade myself..
pick a wood that goes well with the wood you already have in the room.
My best advice is not to mix wood types. Some woods work well togther and some look like 43LL.

have a go and send some pics Smiley

IP Logged
Hotsauce
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/21/06 at 23:55:14

Rhinoliner.

John C.

IP Logged
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/22/06 at 03:20:57

Isnt that the stuff they spray on pick up truck beds?  Hard as anything  though. Cry.  I decided i wanted something modern and durable since it gets moved alot from my basement to my garage to outside, and it doenst really go in a room with other nice furniture in it so i dont think im going to go with the wood look.  I just need to find something that can be pretty durable yet good looking.

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/22/06 at 07:51:26

You could always go for J-Rocks "Death box" S&M look

If you don´t mind the Biker porta-potty look Smiley

IP Logged
Learner_UK
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/25/06 at 15:12:14

[quote author=Jet-Lee  link=1142910082/0#6 date=1142949825]
When I build a full-size imp.....that's soo what I'm doing. [/quote]

My mate who is a bassist has all his amps and stacks covered in white with black splaters fur. its awsome. I was thinking of covering my WO is something, hmmmm ides.

Oh, big_geoff what horn have you used on the top?

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/25/06 at 15:22:42

[quote author=Hotsauce  link=1142910082/0#10 date=1142985314]Rhinoliner.

John C.

[/quote]
Rhino? Yeah!

I know they make a type of spray-on lining for truck beds, but isn't this the same company that makes those awesome rubberized basketball and tennis courts?

That stuff would make a very strong covering and it would add some rigidity and dampening, also.

IP Logged
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 03/26/06 at 13:49:55

Quote:
Oh, big_geoff what horn have you used on the top?

Well, you see, when i was buidling my imperial, it was towards the end of last summer, when money was running low because i was working less and school was comming up and i had spent a lot on the 6 damn sheets of mdf and the two 15's used in constructing my imperial.  So i just picked up one of these http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-225 (it was cheep and would hopefuly get the job done until i got more money again... the new girlfriend 6 months ago helped drain my money once again,  :'()  I believe i got this horn with it http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=270-099.  I'm not too sure if its a good horn/driver or not, i just needed something at the time to pick up some HFs.  It sounds fine to me, although i havent listened to better horns than this.  I was planning on possibly purchasing a better driver in the next few months and making a wooden horn for it.  Or i might just put all of my money (once again) towards another imperial.  :-*

IP Logged
JimP
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/26/06 at 16:47:26

Big G,

That's the driver I've been using for our Imperials.  Pretty rugged for the price and sounds decent.  May not qualify as audiophile grade, but it has served us well for our PA application.  I did overdrive one and cause the voice coil to come unglued from the diaphram, but a little superglue actually fixed it and it's still going strong.  I don't expect that to last, but for the price I actually have an entire backup driver ready to go.

I mated that driver to the bi-radial horn (baby butt-cheek) that selenium sells.  They used to offer them as a package with a 12 db passive cross-over.  Like I said, not a bad driver for the money.  I'd be interested to hear about your results if you mate that driver to some bigger, home-built horns.

Jim P

IP Logged
Learner_UK
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/26/06 at 20:20:01

Just out of interest what frequencies have you guys crossed over at? I didnt realise the imperial had such a wide freq range.

IP Logged
stvcmty
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 03/27/06 at 21:49:46

I run the 15” speakers in the imperial full range.  I played with the high pass filter for the horn until it sounded right.

IP Logged
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/27/06 at 23:42:57

I did the same and was very pleased with the results Cheesy

IP Logged
JimP
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 03/28/06 at 00:16:35

The tweeter horn I used crosses over at 2K Hz so I rolled off the woofer with an inductor at a little lower frequency due to a peak in the woofer at 2-3K Hz.  They blended well.  The half imperials I built I used a Dayton Pro passive crossover at 1600 Hz (12 db/octave) and I equalize the crossover region down a bit to protect the tweeter and make it sound better.  Not the best solution, but one that has worked quite well.  Someday we'll buy active crossovers and a few more amps and do it right.

Jim P

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 04/23/06 at 17:55:14

if the imperial does get moved a lot, then i would consider covering the outside with automotive carpet, and putting metal corner guards on over it, then painting the horn mouth flat black.  This will make it look VERY Pro, and add some acoustic dampening as well.  The only downside is that carpets generally a tad more pricey then paint, but then maybe not as much as rhino lining.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print