Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 13:43:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First build on WO and Im having trouble (Read 31751 times)
DothisClueless
Ex Member

First build on WO and Im having trouble
03/19/06 at 01:30:59

>:(Ive never worked with wood to try to produce anything accurate before, and I have pretty crappy equipment too. I ripped the MDF sheet with a skillsaw and it came out pretty decent but cutting the angles is a real beyach. Ive made a couple mistakes and being that I only bought 1 sheet of MDF I dont have any scraps to recut pieces. I was wondering if I could use bondo to fill in a crack thats almost 1/4" about 4 inches long. Would caulking be good enough to fill a gap like that or maybe just 1/8" ????
    2nd, I have some IMPP's that recommend .8 cubic foot sealed. I measure .75 .... do I need to worry about that ? add polyfill or just ignore??
    Any input is appreciated.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Re: First build on WO and Im having trouble
Reply #1 - 03/19/06 at 01:42:53

use as much caulk as you like just let it dry completely ( 3 or 4 days @ 1/4 inch thick)

dont worry about sealed volume being different, it will perform very well  ;D

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/19/06 at 05:18:58

relax

don't use bondo it will not bond to the MDF and will seperate creating problems.. use  liqued nails or a piece of wood and glue it in place.

What 60 said about the volume

IP Logged
DothisClueless
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/19/06 at 18:41:34

thanks guys I will be finishing the box in about an hour. + dry time. I should be in action tomorrow. Ill leave some halogen lamps hanging overhead to provide some drying today and Ill have everything mounted tomorrow

IP Logged
DothisClueless
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/21/06 at 02:49:53

CheesyHOOOOOOOOOLYYYYYYYYY  :DCRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WinkAApppppp Cheesy   I built the WO and stuffed its mass in my trunk. I can feel so much more bass. Oh did I say feel? I meant feel Embarrassed. Its so much better than my piece of trash bandpass box. I have a problem with all my other shitty speakers in my car not being able to handle all the bass. I havent found the limits of the WO yet. I ordered a better amp than my current one so I can use the current for all the rest of the speakers since it has a built in HPF. Wow anyone with a bandpass box should build one of these. It cost me about 50 bucks material and 2 days to finish but it was worth every second.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/21/06 at 03:27:39

I love a happy ending  :)

IP Logged
buggers
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/22/06 at 19:27:24

My WO had some spaces and gaps in the magnitude of a quarter of an inch as well. I used urathane glue that foams up and expands to fill the gaps when it dries. Given My woodworking skills, I will never use another type of glue Grin

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/22/06 at 21:13:22

If its something like Gorilla glue its great stuff and when I ever want something to come apart thats what I use..

However is not designed to fill cracks, but designed for bonding surfaces. One of the great features of this type of glue is that it will fill voids.
The best solution is to slowly improve your woodworking skills.
I know this because it took me years to get confident with finishing,  precsion is still elusive at times.
I sucked for a long time and patching my mistakes did not cut it anymore.
I could frame a house but was terrible at finishing ( I mean terrible). If I can improve my woodworking you can as well.

there will always be another build....

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/22/06 at 21:26:56

your best bet for amplifying your other speakers would be to use a the fullpass on the amp, and then cut out bass frequencies either to each speaker, or to the amp via the headunit.

My panasonic allows me to cut the frequencies to the 3 sperate line outs.  SO I cut my high pass amp at 185hz at 24db slope, and then lowpass my sub at 120 at 24db.  Its still is one of the best sounding set ups I have heard.

IP Logged
DothisClueless
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/23/06 at 09:09:18

Its exciting and depressing all at the same time. I cant get the bass I want out of my car for 2 reasons, One when I crank the bass my other speakers distort badly and 2, Im using a 4 channel 400 watt amp. Under half the power to the subs. Im using an alpine 9847. Im terribly unhappy with that headunit. Not trying to break my wallet I dont plan on replacing it because the amount of money I would have to spend to get something significantly better would be better spent elsewhere. Reason one Im unhappy, I cant seem to figure out how to make the subwoofer control work, theres a setting where I can turn subwoofer on/off and modulate it between 0-15 , I cant seem to make this work at all. Second, for some  :o reason I dont get any bass at all from the radio. CD's are still fine but no bass on the radio.  The WO is exciting though. I never knew I was missing out on so much definition. I wondered what people were referring to when they said it was so musical. I know now. I bought a KAC9152 amp. Ive always had a good experience with Kenwood. This is alot of amp for the buck being that I paid 137$ for it. System should sound cherry after I wire the new amp up.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/23/06 at 23:38:47

Heres what we can do, you give us a list of the equipment you have, eveything, HU, Amp, SPeakers, and Subs.

Then we can try to get the most bang out of what you have.

IP Logged
DothisClueless
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/24/06 at 03:59:19

Ok heres what I got:
http://www.easthamiltonradio.on.ca/CloseUpDecksAlpCDA9847.htm
Head unit
http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/pna/product/detail/0,,32171715_32249715_3507610...
Amp
http://www.electronics-pluz.com/pionsub1.html
Subs in a 36x24 WO
http://www.electronicexpress.com/product?prod_id=7899
Sub amp
and as sad as it is the rest of my speakers are either sony xplod or wallyworld specials. I have two 5x7 in the doors two tweets by the sun visors two 6.5" and two 6x9 in the rear deck all of these speakers claim to have 220 watt peaks.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/24/06 at 04:32:01

for that kenwood amp, you want to wire each sub's voice coils in series and then the subs in Parallel.  That wil give you a full 250wrms to each sub.  I would then select around 80-100 hz as your low pass frequency.  Exactly what those subs want.

Now the headunit has preouts for front, rear and sub.  The front and rear should be going through RCAs to your speaker amp.  I would then check your amp's manual, but as far as I can tell you can select High Pass or low pass and then the frequency.  I would choose high pass at 120 hz.  This will stop frequencies below 120hz from going to your speakers.

Using the AMps RCA outs and two amplifiers withtheir crossovers should make sure the speaker are playing the frequencies they do best, while the sub does its frequencies.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/24/06 at 15:11:02

That amp is 1-ohm capable, so coils in parallel then speakers in parallel would pull the 1-ohm power, whatever that is(1800W or 900W per??).

IP Logged
DothisClueless
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/24/06 at 19:15:24

Im not sure which to believe. The sticker on the old box said that these were tsw254's but the link I show said they were DVC. I dont remember seeing 2 sets of +- they just had one that was horizontal and one vertical on the same bracket if that makes sense. I think mine are single voice coil is what Im saying. Usually when subs are DVC they have 2 sets of +- but they are on opposite sides of the sub right? Cry I cant look at them now because I used a whole canister of liquid nails on the top and bottom of my box to fill in for my shoddy woodworking skill. Only way those are coming out is with a saw.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 03/24/06 at 21:19:56

Cutout an access panel.

Well, cut a square (or circle) out, large enough for whatever uses, then make a small lip on the inside using strips of board. Put some weather stripping or something on it to seal it good, then re-attach your panel with some bolts and blind nuts. I say bolts so you can really tighten it down and not have to worry about stripping anything out.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/24/06 at 22:01:51

the speaker amp is 1 ohm stable, the kenwood is defineatly not. I have the same amp.

DVC subs will have 2 pair of terminals, wether the are stacked, both on the same side or on oppostite sides, depends on the make and model.  If the model number you bought is dvc they are DVC.

IP Logged
DothisClueless
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/27/06 at 17:46:12

Hey J-Rock you have the same amp, does yours overheat easily? Mine does. I have the bass from my head unit at -6 sensitivity on the amp maybe halfway, bass boost maybe 3/4 at 55 hz LPF at 15 hz and when I turn the volume up to 22 (out of 30) I bump really hard, hair moves rear view is useless. But after like 10 minutes it overheats. Is there anything I can do other than turn it down?

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 03/27/06 at 19:43:31

How are your speakers wired up to the amp?  I have 2 ohm load and everything is aokay.  No overheating at all, the amp actually stays surprisingly cool.

If you lower the impedance though, a much higher level of current will flow through the amp causeing heat.  Which can then set off the autoprotection circuit.

If I remember correctly the amp is stable only to two ohms, not 1, so if you are running your speakers at 1 ohm, that would be the problem.

IP Logged
DothisClueless
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/27/06 at 20:54:52

Damn my life. I am under Murphy's law right now. Im pretty sure I smoked my amp. When I turn the ignition on it lights up but when the radio starts the little red light fades and I get no bass. I have two Pioneer 4 ohm 250 watt TSW 254's wired + to + - to - filling all 4 of the spots on the amp. If I had to take a shot at describing the wiring I would say independant because each + - has its own terminal. Hope that makes sense. In other words I just put the wires straight in. Im under the impression I wired it for a 4 ohm load. I dont know what else to do so tomorrow I will take my amp by a shop and have them test it. I dont see any other way the amp wouldnt work other than I smoked it. Its been working for 3 days on the same wiring and today I was blasting it pretty hard for about 10 minutes straight. It cut out and I turned the volume to 5 of 35 and it came back on like usual but then it cut out again and never came back on. Oh  :o 'ing well I hope the warranty covers it.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 03/27/06 at 21:18:55

Sounds like a 4-ohm load to me. Let us know what you find out from the shop.

IP Logged
Learner_UK
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 03/28/06 at 19:20:53

Why dont u try taking pictures of wat u've done and post them. that way we can see wat you've actually done.

IP Logged
Pete
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 04/14/08 at 07:10:38

Hey, I've been a Decware fan for years, and just returned to the message boards this week. Hope I'm not too late on this post, but I had some advice for you regarding your Alpine head unit. I owned the 9807 (which I'm pretty sure was the year-older version of the 9847) for four years and it has been a great deck for me. As far as the subwoofer output is concerned, it won't work until you enable it in the head unit settings. To do this, if I can remember correctly, hold down the "F" button for 3 seconds until the settings menu comes up. Scroll through the options with the PREV/NEXT buttons until you get to the one that says "SUB OFF." Press the BAND button to change it to "SUB ON." Press the F button again to leave the settings menu. Then to turn the sub output up and down, push the rotary knob in until it says "SUB." Turn the knob up and down to control the level. Hope this helps!

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 04/14/08 at 17:16:57

You are a little too late, only two years. Cheesy

;)

IP Logged
Pete
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 04/14/08 at 18:41:17

Oh, wow. I totally didn't read it and assumed it was March of '08 and not '06. Open mouth, insert foot.  :-[ Guess I'll be sticking to the front page from now on.  ;D

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 04/14/08 at 20:41:26

No of course not, it's good to have more posters, less lurkers.
I just thought it was funny, that's all.
And I knew you didn't see the year  ::) Tongue

Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print