04/20/24 at 14:28:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
IDQ12 in a DB? (Read 4523 times)
trashfire
Ex Member

IDQ12 in a DB?
03/13/06 at 03:42:59

Has anyone built a deathbox with a pair of Image Dynamics IDQ 12"s?  I'm interested in any caveats folks may have for those particular subs in this design.  I have them currently mounted in a sealed enclosure and the output is just incredible both in terms of SQ & SPL with ~1100W to them.  From what I've read, this design should blow it away.  

On a side note, I just finished my first decware project (HWK15) and was not all that impressed... until I positioned it in the room correctly.  :D  I used a pair of Kicker comp 15's and I'm currently driving it with a Crest VS650 with acceptable results.  I had to turn the bottom forward firing ports against the wall.  Now that the proof of concept is complete, finish sanding and veneer is next. I'll probably try to take some pics once my shoddy carpentry work is obscured by sanding & filler putty. Smiley  

I'm guessing this project will be no different than the HWK.  I'm sure it will sound like crap until I tune it properly.

Any guidance or input anyone has is greatly appreciated.

IP Logged
Loudy5
Ex Member

Re: IDQ12 in a DB?
Reply #1 - 03/13/06 at 11:13:30

Quote:
I'm guessing this project will be no different than the HWK.  I'm sure it will sound like crap until I tune it properly.

I just finished a DBK-12 and found just that.  After some help from the guys on this forum, I found that with a little tweaking here and there, the DB is very capable.  I can't speak about the Image Dynamic subs though.  Give it a shot!

P.S. How is the HWK treating you?  That is next on my list.

IP Logged
trashfire
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/13/06 at 14:05:23

The HWK at first was just a big heavy box in the corner that didn't do a whole lot.  The only reason you knew it was working is because they're 15's and I was throwing alot of wattage at them.  I started playing with the positioning and found in my room with the ports right up against the wall, it sounds pretty good.  It will vibrate the rather large stuffed chairs & couch enough.

It may be my room and there may be more tweaking to be done but I hoped it would play a little lower & louder.  My room is right at 20X20 with a 9' ceiling with all the furniture at the back of the room (it's a dedicated theater room) and there are room treatments yet to be done.  I know my primary listening position is right at the edge of a pocket and I've not resolved it yet.

I'm withholding final judgement until I've played it some more.  The drivers themselves are not new, I've had them for a few years in a sealed box so they're broken in just fine.  I just want to move it around some more, finish the room treatments and such.  The box is good enough that I'll be putting in the effort to veneer it and will likely keep that design for a while yet.  

Since the positioning, I've not run any good movies through it but I have played some bass heavy music and even some of those so called "woofer cooker" tracks.  Output was acceptable.  

Once I build the DB with the IDQ's I'll compare the two.  I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my old 10's... I'd love to build a WO32...  

IP Logged
Loudy5
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/13/06 at 15:14:06

I'd go pick up some 10's and give the WO32 a try.  It took a little more for me to build my WO, but the results are awesome.  The DB did what I was looking for (more output with the same driver and amp then a sealed enclosure) but the WO is for sure the winner so far.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print