Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 23:18:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WO32 Frequency Response (Read 14352 times)
goldenk10
Ex Member

WO32 Frequency Response
03/11/06 at 07:23:39

Hey all,

Sorry for the long break. Below is an SPL plot of theoretical frequency response, actual response in Free Air (-17dB correction), actual response in 4-Space (-22dB correction). We used CLIOwin 6.5 and tested with the CLIO mic about 3 inches away from the horn mouth for both cases. To plot the theoretical curve, I used Horn Response written by David J. Mcbean. The theoretical plot is for an horn enclosure with one driver (modeling the expansion of one of the WO32 horns)

The pic might not display correctly, if not, follow this link:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e196/goldenk10/HornResponse.jpg

For info on drivers used, check my previous posts, WO32 construction Part I and II.

I'm about to take finals, so I'm essentially persona non grata for another week.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Re: WO32 Frequency Response
Reply #1 - 03/12/06 at 17:31:27

Is this at one watt r some other power?

It would be nice to know the efficiency increase the wo32 actually is responsible for.

How easy is horn response?  I think I need to get it.

IP Logged
goldenk10
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/13/06 at 09:49:52

J,

The frequency response was made using an old pioneer amp to amplify the clio signal. I am certain it was NOT at 1 Watt. Even if I bothered to look at the amp, without a multimeter or some other external measuring device, it would have been impossible to tell the actual output of the amp.

The fact that the response fits the theoretical response fairly well makes me happy. Again, my WO32 is a project for a class, so showing that my actual results are very close to my theoretical expected response is encouraging, and likely to get me a good grade. Smiley

If I ever get a chance to use the CLIOwin software again (doubtful) I will attempt to measure the efficiency.

Of note, I have been running the WO32 in the trunk of my civic for a couple weeks now (damn parts express backorder). I looked up the specs on my ancient alpine I have running the sub. Its rated at 80 Watts RMS x 1 channel @4 omhs, which is how I have the subs wired. All I can say is that with about ~50-70 Watts, the WO32 makes more sound than I can handle comfortably.

Before, I was running an older MTX 10" off the same amp. All things being equal, the WO32 is MUCH LOUDER! To balance the sound in the car, I have to attenuate the signal to the WO32 ALOT! I know this probably isn't what you were looking for in terms of technical data, but I did find this:

"...Horn systems are approx 20% efficient; cone speakers are approx 2% efficient. ...." found at:

http://www.lenardaudio.com/education/07_horns.html

The quote is from the second sentence on the page. For all the other acoustics n00bs like me, you need to double the input power to achieve a 3dB increase in output. If the above statement is true, any generic "cone speaker" system would require doubling the power 3.322 times to achieve the same output as a comparable "horn system". ((2%^4.322)=~20%)

At first this seems a little hokey, but after having some quality time with the WO32, I don't think it's far off. I'd have to spend more time with some test equipment to verify this. (Dammit, now it makes me want to!).

In any case, I hope to eventually find the true efficiency of the WO32. Maybe someone else on this forum will get a wild hair up their butt and actually do the tests....maybe not, who knows.

My parts express amp is due tomorrow, so the WO32 will be moving into my tiny student apartment, LOL. I'm going to try not to piss off the neighbors too much Kiss

P.S. At first our instructor for the acoustics class said "Don't worry about doing the HW, I just want you to understand the material and be comfortable with it." Predictably, no one turned in ANY of the HW. So, in one of the final lectures of the quarter, he says "I am requiring the HW be completed to recieve a passing grade in the class." You might be able to imagine what I've been up to for the last few days, LOL. Cry

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/13/06 at 13:33:27

really cool to build boxes for grades.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/13/06 at 20:06:42

someone named John something did the test on a wo32 with peerless drivers and a 250 watt plate amp but the data dissapeared into cyber land.
His threads gave me an understanding of the science so that I attempted my 6" WO32 which I am pleased is a daily success as a quick little HT sub and a music sub.

IP Logged
morpheous85
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/12/06 at 21:15:12

[quote author=goldenk10  link=1142065419/0#2 date=1142243392]J,
"...Horn systems are approx 20% efficient; cone speakers are approx 2% efficient. ...." found at:

http://www.lenardaudio.com/education/07_horns.html
( [/quote]

http://www.lenardaudio.com/education/12_amps.html
From the same page (different section) I found

"Note: All solid-state amplifiers are marketed in voltage drive.
Note: Valve amplifiers are naturally current drive."

The guy makes me wonder.

Jason

IP Logged
boydon_lepasci
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/17/06 at 23:41:16

As a college student, you may find this useful:

[quote author=goldenk10  link=1142065419/0#2 date=1142243392] Maybe someone else on this forum will get a wild hair up their butt... [/quote]

It should be "wild hare"(as in rabbit). If you think about it, it makes more sense(or any sense).

IP Logged
boydon_lepasci
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/17/06 at 23:47:14

[quote author=morpheous85  link=1142065419/0#5 date=1147464912]"Note: All solid-state amplifiers are marketed in voltage drive.
Note: Valve amplifiers are naturally current drive."

The guy makes me wonder. [/quote]

What exactly does this basic distinction(very generally) between transistors and vacuum tubes make you wonder about? Maybe we can point you to a forum that would help clear things up.

IP Logged
Michael E
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/02/06 at 07:23:33

Good effort!

What settings did you put into HORNRESP ?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print