04/23/24 at 10:31:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
taking a journey (Read 2105 times)
bean-a-reano
Ex Member

taking a journey
03/10/06 at 08:54:03

Hi, I've never posted but have been lurking quite awhile.  Alot of very good info on here.  

Thought I would introduce myself and document the build.  I built a 10" Db for a friend of mine over a year ago, and loaded it with an Orion HCCA.  I personally was very imperssed on the accuracy and output.  So I have gotten the bug to  mnake my own 12" Db.  I have been into car audio for 9 years and love to learn about it.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: taking a journey
Reply #1 - 03/10/06 at 12:04:06

that bug is very bad  ;D once it gets you, it won't let go.
glad to hear you like it. good luck with the db12. don't forget to post your opinion

IP Logged
bean-a-reano
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/14/06 at 07:35:01

Well I made a few cuts and am not sure if all the measurements are correct.  Not to mention a couple of tornados just blew through.  >:(  

Anyway I have 2 sets of drivers either Kicker comp vr, or Orion XTR series 1.  I can run both Kickers or 1 Orion, got any suggestions on where to start?

IP Logged
bean-a-reano
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/16/06 at 10:35:28

Well I have an idea about enclosure placement.  This deathbox will be in a Mazda 626.  Has anyone thought about mounting the box so that the port fires into the cabin through the rear deck?  Unless however the box is supposed to be in the trunk for the extra "chamber" that it provides.  Sealing the opening into the cabin wouldn't be too hard, but very necessary.  

Any thoughts?

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/16/06 at 13:34:41

i believe 60ndown used to have a db12 in a mazda 626....
post some specs on those subs you have and maybe some of us can point out which one to choose first ?

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/17/06 at 00:42:11

[quote author=Adrian D.  link=1141984443/0#4 date=1142516081]i believe 60ndown used to have a db12 in a mazda 626....
post some specs on those subs you have and maybe some of us can point out which one to choose first ? [/quote]

your memory is astounding Grin

IP Logged
bean-a-reano
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/17/06 at 08:26:52

Here the specs on the XTRs,
12" DVC  250 continues/coil 500 max  4 ohm

FS - 23
Qts - .29
Vas, cuft - 7.78
Sensitivity, dB - 91 / 97
Linear Excursion, mm - 5.25

I have no idea why they list 2 spes for the sensitivity.

Specs on the Kicker comp VR 12 DVC 2ohm

Fs - 26.8
Vas, cu ft - 3.28
Sensitivity 86.4 db
Linear Excursion, mm - 11.5
Qms - 9.38
Qes - .596
Qts - .561
BL, TM - 18.3
Freq Response - 25-500

I will be running the DB with a Harrison Labs 800.2 audio engine.  800 watts rms@2 ohms mono.

How did the DB work in the 626?

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/17/06 at 13:48:18

i'd try the kickers, because they move more air, which means that they could go lower.

IP Logged
bean-a-reano
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/03/06 at 02:52:06

UPDATE!

I decided to go with the kickers.  Got all the cuts made yesterday tahnks to Adrian for the cut list.  Should have it together tomorrow, or damn close to done.  

Pics to follow.

IP Logged
bean-a-reano
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/04/06 at 00:25:06

Yeah I funked up the insert, so I had to make 3 pieces over and so that slowed down my progress.  Here are some pics.

Any comments, critiques?

IP Logged
Hotsauce
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/04/06 at 01:38:02

Why Chicken McNugget wood instead of MDF?

John C.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/04/06 at 02:12:30

this MDF is the stuff of champions.
well lots of sub builders. this is my unfinished whatchamacallit

IP Logged
bean-a-reano
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/04/06 at 05:22:20

[quote author=Hotsauce  link=1141984443/0#10 date=1144111082]Why Chicken McNugget wood instead of MDF?

John C.

[/quote]

It's what I had lying around.  If I like how it sounds I will build one right, this one is kind of a test.  Atleast some of it is MDF.  ::)

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/04/06 at 12:28:26

both my dbs are made out of particle board. i guess this weekend i'll start building a db-10 out of 1inch mdf  :-*
looks well cut...

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/04/06 at 13:41:37

MDF is not the only way just one preferred way..
I have made countless ported/sealed subs with what I had laying around..
If I remember right I have had wood come apart only once over the years.. It was particle board, it did take alot of abuse before it did..
More seams have seperated than the wood failing and the wood will seperate along the seams with the Particle board than any other place..

MDF is nasty dusty and please wear a mask,
I shapes and finishes well over particle.. the one in the picture is 5/8 sides and will be skinned with 1/4 veneer later.

IP Logged
bean-a-reano
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 04/09/06 at 22:05:52

MORE PICS!  I got an update, was gonna wrap it up today however I had to run to get 12gauge speaker terminals, and silicone.  I have more done than the pics suggest, hole for the speaker terminal is dones as well as weather stripping for the lid.

Enjoy

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 04/09/06 at 22:14:57

Nice pics and nice work. I enjoy..
excited to hear how you like it..
this may sound wierd but if you sanded the black lettering off and added a urathane to the outside, that particle board would be rather pleasent

IP Logged
bean-a-reano
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 04/10/06 at 07:54:05

I should have pics of it installed and a short review tomorrow.  It may get carpet if I am gonna keep it.  I don't wanna do it again Angry  It is complex to build.  Thanks for all the comments.  ;D

IP Logged
bean-a-reano
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 04/11/06 at 06:25:18

Well I didn't have time to post pics, however it is done.   Cheesy

I did some tuning, seems the insert closer to the top the tuning is way high.  Then I moved it down some, got better, I boved it till the port was obsured by the insert 3 or so inches.  Not to my liking.  I moved it back to where the port is open and a little more.   ???

Listening the kick is very punchy, bottom end is fat.  However there is one hell of a peak around I guess 75hz roughly.  And then drops off significantly after 90 or so.  I have alot of tuning to do ause it sounds strange to say the least.

Also when I crank it the box seems to top out and not get any louder at a certain point.  Strange.....

IP Logged
bean-a-reano
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 04/11/06 at 22:08:21

Pics of it installed, and what is running it.

IP Logged
biju
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 04/12/06 at 21:20:08

sweet.  think you'll end up keeping it instead of building another out of mdf?  If so, what will you finish it in?  Looks like it was a pretty solid build.  congrats.

-biju.

IP Logged
bean-a-reano
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 04/13/06 at 01:31:38

As of now I don't have plans of rebuilding it, I am getting used to the sound of it.  Cake sounds good on it, and some other stuff.  It seems to be growing on me though.

IP Logged
Zygi
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 04/13/06 at 02:19:10

Beano,

Do you have enough space between the drivers, I.E are the surrounds touching each other...They don't need much of a gap, but they must have a gap.

BobZ

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 04/13/06 at 04:42:43

amp looks kinda puny for 2 x 12s? how many wrms it showing those subs? i bet the running out of steam is due to the small amp not the box desighn.

IP Logged
bean-a-reano
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 04/13/06 at 08:57:42

As far as the surrounds toughing, I put 1/4" weather stripping around them and mashed it down.  I also made sure they are out of phase before sealing it up.

I think the amp is more than sufficent.  I ran the VRs with it in a sealed box before.  Here is the link for Harrison Labs  http://www.hlabs.com/  

It is the AE 800.2     class d 800rms @2 ohms.

I have had the Harrison for 4 years now and never had a problem.  Great amp.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 04/13/06 at 14:04:41

800 wrms should be good, except clamshelling like you have done does require more power than normal and will be less loud than 2 seperate subs but more accurate. maybe try just 1 sub and see what its like?

IP Logged
bean-a-reano
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 04/14/06 at 06:02:18

I talked with another guy who built one and seems like the kickers need more air space.  I'm not gonna give up on the 2 of them yet.  Gonna try some polyfill in the sealed portion and do some more tuning this weekend.  Report to follow.

IP Logged
bean-a-reano
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 04/24/06 at 09:09:09

Well I have been listening and testing.. ???  Not sure the deathbox is right for me.  It is loud, perhaps too loud for what I want.  I hear more rattles than music I think. Cry  A single 15 in a sealed or ported box might work out better.  Thanks for everyones help.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print