Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 21:43:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TABOO input tube question (Read 8697 times)
mushrooman
Ex Member

TABOO input tube question
03/02/06 at 23:10:13

I'm thinking of upgrading to the Taboo amp.  I own an se84c with the Radials 1.5.  Total magic with my Siemens or Amperex Bugle Boy 6922's.  The only downside of this setup is it just doesn't go loud enough for me sometimes without clipping.  I'm ready for the Taboo, it sounds great.  Especially the "lucid mode."  But I need to know if I can use all these great, expensive, euro input tubes in the new Taboo, carried straight over from my se84c.  I know the Taboo calls for a 12ax7 input tube, I just need to know if it can use the 6922's, and if so, what difference will be heard or not heard.  Thanks everyone!!

IP Logged
Eli Duttman
Ex Member

Re: TABOO input tube question
Reply #1 - 03/03/06 at 00:13:24

IMO, you should stick to 12AX7s.  The current production Sovtek 12AX7LPS is NICE tube at very reasonable cost.  Quality NOS 'X7s are more plentiful than NOS 6222s.

The amplification factor (mu) for the 6922 is 33, while the mu of the 'X7 is 100.  The difference is significant.  Also, parts value changes would be needed, as the 2 types set up very differently.

IP Logged
DrN
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/03/06 at 00:27:06

Your gonna PAY for the  popular NOS 12AX7's especially Tele's.
Big time!!! I have been snooping E Bay for 3 weeks now and they are going for ridiculous prices. Upwards of $200 a pair.

Check it out, WTF??>>
http://store.tubedepot.com/pa-ecc803s-tele.html

I'm going to try the Russian 12AX7LPS next time. Currently using EH 12AX7 which are pretty good. This is in my Pre not the amp.

D

IP Logged
mushrooman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/03/06 at 00:35:58

My Bugle Boys are ecc83's, the euro equivalent of the u.s. 12ax7.  So those are fine, will carry over to the Taboo.  The Siemens are Cca's, 6922's, which are fantastic tubes, extremely detail oriented, but I guess they won't work for the Taboo.

IP Logged
Sam in USA
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/03/06 at 01:13:39

What Eli said  :)

IP Logged
JJ_Analog
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/03/06 at 21:26:19

You CANNOT use a 6922 type in a 12**7 circuit.  The filament pinout is different, such that either the 6922 would be destroyed by having DOUBLE its proper filament voltage (12V series connection of 12**7 types) or else the 6922 would get no filament voltage at all and would not operate (6V parallel connection, which I assume is what the Taboo has.)

Oddly enough, you CAN put a 12AX7 in the 6922 slot of a Select, but then it runs at HALF its normal filament voltage, and sounds crappy.  Not recommended.

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/04/06 at 00:53:32

buy a cryo treated Sovtek 12AX7LPS and put the saved money towards something else.

IP Logged
mushrooman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/04/06 at 01:13:32

Thanks guys, great info.  Actually, I thought my Amperex Bugle Boys were ecc83's, but they are ecc88's, same as a 6922.  So none of them will work in the new TABOO.  But I will tell you this, they make a huge difference in my Zen amp, really magical.  So the price and hype on these tubes really do play out on my ears.  I'm wondering if the equivalent of a great Amperex input tube is the Telefunken ecc83's for pure magic.  Or if a cryo'd Sovtek is 90% as good at 10% the price.  Tell me what input tubes you love for the Taboo.  Thanks again!

IP Logged
Eli Duttman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/04/06 at 16:08:44

>>Or if a cryo'd Sovtek is 90% as good at 10% the price.<<

JIm McShane told me a tale of a fellow who HAPPILY replaced TFKs in recording equipment with 'LPS stock.  Bottom line, the 'LPS is a GOOD tube.

If the "smoothplate" itch will not leave you alone, try strong used TFK ECC83s.  They are about $30 each.

BTW, Bill Gates can think about using the TFK ECC803S.  NOS samples of that tube cost upwards of $500 each.   Angry  TOTALLY INSANE!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print