Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 11:40:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Top Notch Customer Service (Read 8699 times)
goldenk10
Ex Member

Top Notch Customer Service
02/17/06 at 09:00:33

W032 plans ordered 2/7/06. Plans mailed USPS priority 2/8/06. 2/16/06 - No plans. Apparently the USPS incident in Goleta, CA stopped all priority shipments. Called Steve, and DeVon, and they not only followed up with my order, but scanned the plans for me, emailed them to me, checked I had recieved that email, and sent them another time just to be sure. For a Mechanical Engineering student under time pressures in his final year, this kind of customer service cannot go without praise.

Steve and DeVon, Thank You!

I have read all of the W032 threads at least twice and cannot wait to listen to my new subwoofer (after I build it this weekend). I am currently studying acoustics and noise control as part of my concentration. As far as I am able to analyze, Steve's designs and attention to detail are second to none. I hope to find what sort of horn expansion is used in the W032. My hunch is a tractrix expansion. I know others have experimented with resizing some dimensions to make W024's etc., but see this at best, as a perversion of an excellent design, with no attention to proper horn-expansion engineering considerations.

My task is to measure TRUE Thiele-Small parameters for my drivers, map the horn expansion of the W032, and see what the enclosure will do to my frequency response. The drivers I ordered can be seen here:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-550

I opted for these instead of the VIFA M26WR09's purely for cost reasons. I plan to share my findings in the forum once my analysis is complete on the performance of these particular drivers in the W032 enclosure.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Re: Top Notch Customer Service
Reply #1 - 02/17/06 at 13:23:10

i used this one

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-110

works very well.

x max needs to be low for the wo32.and qts close to .35

but ive never studied anything just read the wo32 posts?

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/17/06 at 17:20:09

[quote author=goldenk10  link=1140170433/0#0 date=1140166833]I know others have experimented with resizing some dimensions to make W024's etc., but see this at best, as a perversion of an excellent design, with no attention to proper horn-expansion engineering considerations. [/quote]
I'd just like to CMA a little here. I've stated, in threads of my designs, I just slap the thing together and see how it sounds. I pay little to no attention to proper engineering considerations on any of my publicly viewable designs.

My private designs, however, are extensively critiqued (sp?), analyzed, and given way too much attention, for weeks on end before ever even building a model.

I'd appreciate the next time one of my designs is going to be put down, that the person at least discuss my design with me, such as what I thought when going into it and what my intentions were with the design.

EDIT-The WO24's were slapped together from pictures. My latest WO24, just happened to sound the best out of any box I've ever made, by some fluke.

IP Logged
goldenk10
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/17/06 at 20:25:16

Jet,

I didn't know the design was specifically yours, no offense intended. I was merely commenting on all the enthusaistic (and possibly uninformed) modification that seems to occur with the W032 design. Measuring encolusre designs by what "sounds good" IS what matters in any speaker, but may not correlate with stellar performance on paper. Example: Person A prefers +3dB gain from 40Hz-60Hz. While this may sound pleasant to person A, the fact remains that the encosure is not reproducing the sound accurately. Person B may find this gain in SPL objectionable. Again, it comes down to what YOUR personal preference is.

If you could send me some dimensions, similar to the ones on the W032 blue prints for your W024, I would be happy to discuss/analyze the design with you. The concept of a W024 is excellent. More for Less! Maybe we can collaborate to optimize the design? In any case, I'm glad my post has generated at least some discussion.

PS: I Cad'd up the W032 in Solidworks last night to aid in the construction this evening, and more accurately measure the horn profile for future analysis. Have a look:

Enjoy!

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/17/06 at 21:44:43

nice job of the plans, im not sure steve d will approve? kindof revealing dont you think!  ???

IP Logged
goldenk10
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/17/06 at 22:22:30

60ndown,

I don't intend to sell, reproduce w/dimensions, or in any way claim the design as my own. I just wanted to CAD up a 3-D model so I could have a personal set of blueprints for construction. Many who have built the W032 have said construction goes much quicker if you calculate all the angles of cuts beforehand. Instead of doing each by hand using trig, I figured I would let Solidworks do it. Notice too, I did not put any dimensions onto my pictures, and, one would find it difficult to reproduce (accurately) the proper dimensions from my pictures alone. Several others have posted "straight-on" views of their built W032's which are much more revealing in terms of relative dimensions. If anyone thinks this is in violation of design copyright, I will remove them immedaitely. I, in no way, wish to offend Steve or rip-off his design.

As I said earlier, I am studying acoustics and noise reduction. I wanted to run some CFD (computational fluid dynamics) analysis on the enclosure to see what kind of flow efficiency it exhibits. The only way I can do this is to A) make a scale model and hook up thousands of dollars of expensive test equipment, or B) do what Boeing and other aerospace companies do and CAD the model, then throw the model into the CFD program. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print