Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 14:55:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alpine type-r 10dvc in db (Read 8965 times)
sc00by71
Ex Member

Alpine type-r 10dvc in db
02/06/06 at 17:48:14

I built one but am unhappy with the sound. The sub has a huge magnet so I can't move the driver towards the sealed end but maybe another inch and a half. Currently the insert is even with the top of the port. It hits hard but is odd sounding, kinda hollow and has a drone to it. Odd enough that it is tiring to listen to. No polyfill as of yet and I need to clean up the port edges a little. Any other ideas ?
Much appreciated
Shawn

Oh driving off of a PG XS4600 two channels bridged for 600W rms.
Focal polyglas 6.5 components. Alpine 9807 HU in a 98 Tacoma Xcab 4wd.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: Alpine type-r 10dvc in db
Reply #1 - 02/06/06 at 18:09:55

i also noticed that the db-10 can sound hollow. the weird sounds are around 100-125hz.
try to cross it lower...around 60hz.
rounding the edges kinda helps.
the higher the insert goes, the more midbass you get.
try moving the insert lower, like an inch or less. i never tried it lower than the top of the port, because i had a very cheap sub when i built it. i tried to cover the top inch of the half-moon, and the midbass was reduced a bit.
i have mine crossed at 60hz. there still is a bit of weird midbass, but not much. i mean not enough to disturb.
i never found mine tiring to listen to after i upgraded the sub/amp/x-over.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/06/06 at 19:39:57

[quote author=sc00by71  link=1139251694/0#0 date=1139248094]I built one but am unhappy with the sound. The sub has a huge magnet so I can't move the driver towards the sealed end but maybe another inch and a half. Currently the insert is even with the top of the port. It hits hard but is odd sounding, kinda hollow and has a drone to it. Odd enough that it is tiring to listen to. No polyfill as of yet and I need to clean up the port edges a little. Any other ideas ?
Much appreciated
Shawn

Oh driving off of a PG XS4600 two channels bridged for 600W rms.
Focal polyglas 6.5 components. Alpine 9807 HU in a 98 Tacoma Xcab 4wd. [/quote]

definately x it over below 80hz, then try it in different positions with the port / opening faceing different directions.

IP Logged
sc00by71
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/12/06 at 04:55:35

Rnets in the amp are at 85Hz. Will have to solder up some new ones.What should I shoot for on LP? Think my separates are good at 85Hz up or should I mod the rnet for the fronts as well?
Have tried facing the port almost every way possible. Not a whole lot of choices in an extra cab. Into the side wall behind me hits hardest but is also closest to me so that may be why the noise is bothering. Sorry for all the q's
Shawn

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/12/06 at 06:11:06

cross it somewhere between 60-70 hz. because of the big hump around 100-120hz, i guess you wil have response up to 85hz, or even higher.
try to move the insert lower. that helps alot.
leave the x-overs on the components just the way they are.

IP Logged
sc00by71
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/13/06 at 22:29:55

lower towards the port or away ?

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/13/06 at 23:32:34

so the insert reaches close to the bottom.i have had mine almost 1 inch from the bottom, covering almost all the port, only real lows came out then.

IP Logged
sc00by71
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/13/06 at 23:37:25

Thanks, I am about even with the top of the port now. I will play with the crossover and insert and report back. Thanks for all the input.
Shawn

IP Logged
sc00by71
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/01/06 at 04:39:42

Just wanted to report back. Took me a while to make new resistor networks for the amp. The insert is now covering almost a third of the port that helped some but WOW ! what a difference the crossover makes. These boxes sure are picky on crossover point but once you nail it . I have settled on 65Hz. Clean, unobtrusive until the bass line hits ! Blends very well with my components.
Thanks for the help I was almost ready to scrap it. Now try taking it from me.
Shawn

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/01/06 at 17:07:50

it seems like the db-10 has that effect on people : huge first time dissapointment, but lots of good bass after tweaking Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print