03/28/24 at 23:55:13 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New SE84CS Owner... (Read 14430 times)
Scooterman
Ex Member

New SE84CS Owner...
02/04/06 at 01:58:39

After lurking for a couple months, I ordered a Zen SE84CS in December.
I've had it for one week now. I'm using Omega Super 3Rs, cheap speaker wire, cheap ICs, two big masonary bricks for speaker stands, and have it in my "Bat Cave". I'm probably doing everything wrong...

But, this amp and speakers sound great! My wife is jealous of all the time I have been spending in here!

Thanks to Steve and crew for an awesome amp. Thanks to Tom Hills at Hudson Audio for a super deal on the Omegas! And thanks to Home Depot  for the $4 worth of brick speaker stands. (The stands will be upgraded one of these days...)

Now back to the tunes...

IP Logged
Doorman
Ex Member

Re: New SE84CS Owner...
Reply #1 - 02/04/06 at 02:08:56

Welcome Scooterman! These Decware products are special, not to mention great value. They should sound very nice indeed with those Omegas.

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/04/06 at 07:42:56

Great value is the word. So if the 4$ stands work, don´t worry about them Smiley Unless you could build ones for 3$  :D

IP Logged
rmt
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/04/06 at 17:01:36

[quote author=Scooterman  link=1139021919/0#0 date=1139018319]After lurking for a couple months, I ordered a Zen SE84CS in December.  Now back to the tunes... [/quote]

Oh yeah, I have a similar experience.  I was working on repairing some speakers a couple years ago and I found this site. Everyone was so high on Decware gear and were glad to tell all about it.  I tried it, I liked it, and now I keep getting more.   Welcome to the forum and enjoy the tunes.

IP Logged
Scooterman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/04/06 at 17:12:59

Thanks! I am REALLY enjoying it! I have been listening to Classical Guitar on Sky.FM (iTunes)...Earlier, I was looking for the "Center Speaker" in my room. It's scarey how the soundstage can expand in this little room!
Sure love these cold nasty days of Winter Wink
mike

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/04/06 at 22:29:18

Welcome and congrats!

IP Logged
crazy bill the eel killer
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/05/06 at 04:41:32

Hello Scooterman,

welcome.      :)

I don't want to throw any monkeywrenches, but your speakers are 8 ohms. I have a SE84CSEX, which is your amp with an output ttansformer more suited to a high impedance single driver loudspeaker like yours. I know it may seem hard to believe, but I think this version will sound even better than what you're hearing now. Call Steve and see what he thinks.

Above all, have fun and enjoy,

Bill               Cheesy

IP Logged
Scooterman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/05/06 at 22:42:08

Thanks Bill!
I've read about that. Someday, if the amp ever needs service, I might check it out. It sure sounds "purtty" right now!
Mike

IP Logged
Steamer
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/09/06 at 02:16:01

Scooter,
Welcome to our world,I am a recent convert as well.Hell I cant shut the damn things off!!,think my tube bill is gonna be high this year.
Greg

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/04/06 at 03:07:29

Welcome Scooterman, my Select will never leave the threshold of my room.  Start some tube rolling too.

Stone of Tone
ZBox coming soon..........

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/04/06 at 03:33:58

Congrads Scooterman!

I originally bought a CS for a low powered "second" system in my studio, and my main system now revolves around it. (It was too good for an occasional system so I boxed up all my other stuff).

Cheers,
Karl

IP Logged
JDW
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/04/06 at 15:36:55

Welcome Scooterman,

I too lurked for a long time before buying A Decware amp. Reading what everyone else saying about these amps drew me in until I had to buy one just to see what all the hub-bub was about. I've never regretted it since. Most people here know much more than I do about the technical aspects, I just know what I 'hear'. These are great little amps. I even learned enough to build a set of speakers. I like learning and there is a cornucopia of knowledge here. Enjoy the music.

IP Logged
rayd
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/04/06 at 15:50:24

Welcome Scooterman -

The Select is one very special amp! I've been transfixed with mine the past few nights... and especially like what it starts doing about 1 hour after warming up  ;D

Enjoy!

- Ray

IP Logged
Scooterman
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/05/06 at 02:29:43

Thanks for the welcome!
I've got it bad...
I already have a box of tubes! I've played with three or four different rectifiers, different power tubes, and I now own three input tubes.
I love this little sucker!
The speakers are still sitting on cinder blocks. Still using cheap Monster Cable speaker wires and connects. Also using the TC-754, that I had hooked to my Super T-amp, as a switch and volume control. I also have to give credit to the Omega Super 3Rs.
I can't believe how good it sounds!!!
I swear I've never heard a soundstage like this! (Before: Just a wall of sound from the speakers... Now: Center, right, left, and I think I hear depth! Smiley ) My wife has adjusted to me falling asleep in here now. I usually wake up and wander off to bed in the early morning. (With sound this good, who needs sex? ??? (I lie)
Back to the music...(Adrina Thorpe again.)
Mike

IP Logged
mullman
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/06/06 at 18:55:33

Scooterman,

Welcome!

My only advice would be to let the amp burn in a good 60 days or maybe longer before spending $$$ on rare NOS tubes.  A new CS probably would season over a year actually.

Again welcome, us inmates here salute you!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print