Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 10:34:06 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZKITS/SE84CS kit Difficulty (Read 3958 times)
1967_R50_Slash_2
Ex Member

ZKITS/SE84CS kit Difficulty
02/02/06 at 17:47:56

Has anyone put one of these kits together?

I'd like to try, but my skills are more, erm....electrical rather than electronic. I have never put together a tubeset.

Can anyone make a recommendation?

IP Logged
dr._sleep
Ex Member

Re: ZKITS/SE84CS kit Difficulty
Reply #1 - 02/02/06 at 20:10:15

I've built both these kits, with excellent results.  They got me started building a variety of tube projects more ambitious than the CS and from scratch. Take some time to brush up on soldering skills, which is the most important part of the construction.  There are many excellent soldering tutorials available on the web.

Step by step instructions on building the SE84CS can be found here: https://www.decware.com/zkit01.htm

do it, dr._sleep

IP Logged
brettjm
Ex Member

Re: ZKITS/SE84CS kit Difficulty
Reply #2 - 02/02/06 at 22:09:11

My first kit was a Zen. It is difficult for a first timer, but very doable. There is only a schematic and a few low-res pics to look at. I've since built four kits, and every time I get better at it. The thing is, it's fun to build but after you're done all that matters is how it performs. I've had a few problems with mine along the way, and it's been a pain to rectify the mistakes I'd made. Also, in the back of your mind you might wonder how yours compares to a Zen built by Decware sonically, that is until your comfortable with your skill. OTOH, it's been a wonderful learning experience that I wouldn't take back. Through experience, I've built up enough courage to try many of the expensive boutique parts that can really set a kit apart from the production Zens. And, in the long run my enjoyment of music has benefited even though my wallet hasn't. Point is, don't do it to save money. Do it for the experience and learning.

And if you have any questions along the way, there are many here who can help Smiley

-Brett

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print