Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 18:27:45 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HWK15 with crossover for home theater? (Read 4512 times)
HT-EXT
Ex Member

HWK15 with crossover for home theater?
01/30/06 at 14:27:26

Some one please help me. My friend is determine to buy a crossover for his HWK15. His HWK is hooked to a stereo amp(100w X 2) pushing two DAYTONs(magnets/baskets in the ported chambers top and bottom) which is hook to the LFE of the receiver. With a crossover you can determine the roll-off of the upper and lower response of the sub. Example is having the HWK roll-off at 20Hz for low end and 80Hz high end(BASS of course), remember this is just an example. How can a crossover benefit him with his HWK and home theater? I know room acoustics is proably the issue and the determining factor for using a crossover, unless you using a stereo signal to the HWK then a crossover would come in handy. I am a stup and pretty much confused on this issue. THANKS for any HELP.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Re: HWK15 with crossover for home theater?
Reply #1 - 01/30/06 at 15:28:20

[quote author=HT-EXT  link=1138634846/0#0 date=1138631246]........ THANKS for any HELP. [/quote]
You're welcome. Smiley

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/30/06 at 15:40:37

Gotcha! Cheesy

I would say he doesn't need a crossover if he's using an LFE out and has his main speakers set for full range, but some people just like to buy stuff and are not happy until they have everything.

If he has some room issues causing him grief in the 80Hz to 125Hz range (very common) he could benefit from using an XO, but the better plan is to try to add something to absorb or reduce those freqs mechanically like a bass trap or simply moving the cab to a better location.

On the other hand if has to set his main speakers to "Small" and not use them full range he is probably getting a lot of signal up to 150Hz or higher in his sub channel as a result. That could definitely sound ugly when you crank it up to get a lot of LFE performance. In that case an XO or an EQ could help.

Just make sure he's not getting gear just to say he has it. Undecided

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/30/06 at 17:09:25

Good one DirtDawg. You had me going till I scroll down. Yes his front speakers are set to large and the XO on the receiver set to 80Hz. I was also curious how the WO36 would react to a XO if used with home theater? Do you think the WO36 needs a XO if you use the LFE crossover? OH YEAH THANKS!  DirtDawg is my hero but everybody says I have low standards.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print