Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 07:04:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
imperial project - new direction (Read 8411 times)
Sean
Ex Member

imperial project - new direction
01/25/06 at 15:52:35

After conferring with JohnF (thanks, John) who played around with HornResp on my behalf, I have decided to use both of my EVX-180B drivers in a single modified imperial cabinet, as a dedicated subwoofer.  For my mains, I intend to use two of the standard (Steve's modified Jensen design) imperials, with two 15s in each and a high frequency horn (as per Steve's  photos) using a JBL 2441 compression driver.  This should go to 16kHz.  The challenge now is to select drivers that will complement the 2441, both in terms of their frequency response, and the maximum possible SPL (PA application).

Suggestions?

IP Logged
dank
Ex Member

Re: imperial project - new direction
Reply #1 - 01/26/06 at 14:27:44

After looking at the specs for those EV-180B's my initial thoughts of not enough sub for the mains is no longer valid.  6000 watts each, wow.  Are you sure your "modified Imperial" is not going to turn into an oven?  Would a fan be appropriate in something like that?  What are you going to use for an amp?  12,000 watts at 4 ohms.  Me thinks your going to have bass.  Sorry, no thoughts on the 15's.

IP Logged
Sean
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/26/06 at 14:38:30

I found two online versions of the spec sheet for the EVX-180B.  I think that 6000 W is a typo.  Power handling on the other sheet lists 1000 W, which I think is a bit more reasonable.

IP Logged
gildcm
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/26/06 at 23:06:44

I have to agree that the 6000 watts is a typo. I have two EV-180B's (1000 watts). Each one is in a 18" super scoop. I have a them bridged mono on my amp which is pushing 2800 watts to them. They really thump. From about 5 feet away you can fill the air rush pass you at about 5/8 power on the amp.

I think you will have enough bass.

For the 15's you can use what Steve D. recommends. I think he says to use a GOLDWOOD GW-15120 and a Peavey Scorpion. This is what I used in mine.

Here is a link to a thread on this forum about the speakers.
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Imperial;action=display;num=...

IP Logged
Sean
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/27/06 at 02:18:47

I took the time to draw a CAD model of the imperial in SolidWorks.  Interpreting Steve's plan required a bit of thought, as there are a few examples of redundant or inconsistent dimensions on the plan (maybe these have been changed since the first release?), but I made a best guess as to intent and came up with a dimensionally consistent model.  I then went ahead and started designing my HF lenses - approximating the flare rate using a spline - this is almost but not quite accurate - I will refine this before making the construction drawings.  Overall I think it looks pretty good... the hard part will be developing a method of construction to get the geometry I want.  I'll have to spend some more time thinking about this.  In the meantime, here's the pic:

http://www3.telus.net/public/b7b32310/sean_mains.jpg

-Sean

IP Logged
Sean
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/27/06 at 02:23:35

Not shown are the three rubber feet that the horn sits on - two in front, at the corners, and one under the compression driver cradle which is adjustable height to aim the horn.

IP Logged
stvcmty
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/27/06 at 03:00:50

Your model looks really nice.  They make us learn Solid works as CSM, so seeing it used for something that I find interesting is nice.

In another thread, Steve D seemed to think the front braces could resonate.  You might want to double them up.

Keep up the good work,

Stv

IP Logged
Braggi
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/31/06 at 03:08:14

Nice drawing, Sean. Thanks for sharing.

If you take the lowest 40hz away from the Imperials it opens up a lot of possibilities for drivers.

That's going to be one thumping sub! (And heavy.)

And now here's a question for ... DirtDawg? Anyone with experience on PA applications. If you put 200 watt rated drivers in your Imperial box and only feed it material above 40hz (or 50hz), does that mean you can run a much larger amp since the most power hungry material will be going to a sub?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print