Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 08:49:19 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Amp to make Dayton's happy (Read 114245 times)
Bob
Ex Member

Re: Amp to make Dayton's happy
Reply #150 - 02/16/06 at 11:47:15

J_Rock, Thank you.  I was afraid the wood might rattle loose and fall into a driver so I though some bracing was in order.  The 1X2 mdf between the drivers is slightly press fit before final tightening of the drivers and glued with Gorilla Glue. As anal retentive as I can get sometimes about 'beefing things up' I remained true-to-form; Get this... I stapled a heavy gauge nylon string to one of the pieces of wood (at this point in time it hasn't occurred to me yet the proximity my METAL stapler would be to the magnet) then about four times I tightly wound the string around the base of the wood against the magnet base and stapled the end. Since that still wasn't enough I though I'd be a good idea, since Gorilla Glue expands, to coat the string with it. The wood is pushed up against a small dome in the center of the Dayton. Seems very sturdy, just don't ask to change driver orientation......easily.

60ndown, it's not a very good picture from a perspective standpoint, but that driver assembly was centered. I spent a painful amount of time agonizing the perfection of that very point.

DirtDawg, Thank you. I'm not sure I can get a camera in there any more. I did make a 6" access square (acoustically transparent) but not sure if I'd get a good photo sticking the lens in a dark hole.  ( insert joke here ) and yes, Blather is going for word of the week if Sam has his way... As far as Webshots go, It seems ok to me. Haven't found any ad/spyware yet lurking on my machine. However I occationally get a small window that pops up by the clock telling me about new daily pictures I can view, but you should be able to turn that off. I chose it based on a recommendation of one of my customers at work. He saw my frustration, and said he had used them with no problems. He caught me in a weak moment and while visiting the site I decided to go for it.

Adrian D., Yes part # 295-130. These are what I've got.

Seating will be here Tuesday !

Shakers are wired. Yes with 12 guage Romex about 30', then 14 guage RCA wire (premium?) from Aura to Aura.  Couldn't resist, so I wheeled up my PC chair and....well....you know the end of that story. So now I now have a wooden rocking chair for my temporary PC chair. Roll Eyes
Very cool things these Aura's are.

Bob

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #151 - 02/21/06 at 14:23:46

Wife called from home seating has arrived !   Cheesy Cheesy

At work now, 9 more hours before I can go home... Angry Roll Eyes Undecided Cry

Bob

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #152 - 02/21/06 at 23:41:50

new seats must be comfortable? where are you?

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #153 - 02/22/06 at 11:54:17

60, unsure if you mean where I live, (just south of St. Louis MO), or if you mean where I was when she called (working at the Chevrolet dealership).

Yes, these may be the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. Tried them out last night. WONDERFUL. The only down side; a wine glass isn't real steady in the built in cup holders. Will need to DIY something there.....

Bob

p.s. now I can concentrate on acustics now that I've introduced the extra large bass traps,  LOL..

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #154 - 02/22/06 at 13:41:36

maybe you can start drinking your wine from a 'big gulp' container like the rest of us Smiley

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #155 - 02/22/06 at 17:16:27

I was thinking about one of those hats with the built in cupholder.  ;D Oh yea baby.....

Bob

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #156 - 02/22/06 at 19:02:35

[quote author=Bob  link=1137542099/150#151 date=1140531826]Wife called from home seating has arrived !   Cheesy Cheesy

At work now, 9 more hours before I can go home... Angry Roll Eyes Undecided Cry

Bob

[/quote]

Havenīt seen that kind of emotion over T.V seating since Homer Simpson Smiley

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #157 - 02/22/06 at 19:46:32

#1: I'm easily amused.
#2: I'm easily impressed.
#3: I have the same level of exitement over things like this as my 7 year old son does. (he's very impressed with me. That's all I need in life  ;D )
#4: furniture factory made me wait 7 weeks for delivery (raises anticipation level).
#5: It's not just the tv, it's one of the final pieces to complete the room (yea, like it'll ever be 'done'.)
#6: Not a fan of the Simpsons, but Homer's got his attributes.
#8: Don't tell me YOU don't get exited over just another "radio".   Smiley
#9: 140" diag front projection is NOT just a tv.  :-X

You don't fool me Rap..... I see the little kid in there.

Bob

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #158 - 02/23/06 at 03:14:29

im excited about cutting some lengths of 5 inch plastic pipe and playing

'i wonder how long these ports should be'??

and i mean excited  :D Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #159 - 02/23/06 at 11:49:32

DirtDawg, about that webshots membership, still have found no evidence of adware, or spyware. However, my desktop is changing everyday to their "picture of the day", it changes on it's own, can't find webshots setting to turn the S.O.B.  OFF!

Bob

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #160 - 03/03/06 at 12:17:05

Channel 'A' blown on amp  >:(

We'll see how "Music Supply Center" handles warranty claims.
Will have more pics soon. (Have nothing else to do, listening to a system with no amp won't be keeping me busy.... Roll Eyes) Might as well take some pictures.

Bob

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #161 - 03/03/06 at 15:48:58

How exactly are you running your amp when it blew the channel?  We may be able to help avoid another incident in the future...

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #162 - 03/03/06 at 21:29:34

I did not noticed when it stopped working (that channel was for the shakers, and my butt was not in the seat).  I had wired the shakers, REwired the sub (from bridge to 'B'), made sure everything was working. Then proceded to play with sub location. At one point I had sat down and noticed no vibs in my seat. No LED on the amp for that channel. oops. I do remember one hellova static shock when I touched the gain level....hmmm  ::)  That would do it. Now...let THAT be a lesson to ya. And to think some of us were worried about hot swapping wires. We didn't talk about releasing your 'charge' before you touch your equipment.

Bob

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #163 - 03/03/06 at 21:48:27

LOL, a grounding plate down the side of the equipment cabinet for you to ground yourself before turning any knobs.

How did you have the shakers wired? cause it could be that...

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #164 - 03/03/06 at 22:03:35

Here's how they are wired.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/series%20parallel.pdf

Ok, in my mind I've installed a ground strap, next run it to house plumbing? Run a led from every component chassis to this strap?

Bob

How about a humidifier set to 80% he he,..... Roll Eyes

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #165 - 03/03/06 at 22:23:52

Lol, I was just pictureing the equipment rack with a metal strip down the side for you to touch before ever turning or pressing a button.

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #166 - 03/06/06 at 18:00:04

ZZZZAAAP !

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #167 - 03/06/06 at 18:21:31

the "on" led on channel b on my amp died after 5 days of agony. but the channel is intact, works like a charm.
weird, static charge from your body busted the amp....

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #168 - 03/07/06 at 11:46:15

Well, I'm not 100% sure that's what happened. But....who knows? If that's what did it, it's a piss poor chassis design. If that's NOT how it happened, then I've got a 5 week old broken component, shouldn't have happened either way. IMO.

Emailed Music Supply Center Friday morning about possible warranty claim, still no response.

Bob

p.s. You may be able to open yours up and check, may just be a faulty LED? Fixed for $1.00 at Radio Shack??

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #169 - 03/07/06 at 13:00:59

i don't want to open it, because i have 2 years warranty. i don't want to send it to warranty, because i bought it from another country and shipping would take time.

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #170 - 03/07/06 at 15:01:49

Understood

Bob

IP Logged
Bob
Ex Member

Reply #171 - 04/17/06 at 17:05:56

60ndown, Thanks for the link to "tinypics.com" to put pictures of my home theater on. However I don't think they and I are speaking about the same kind of "Big Massive Driver".   Undecided

But I do have more pics of my toys for those interested....

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=549522535&se...

Bob

p.s. Anybody think Decware forum should have another topic; "Pictures of your listening room/theater"? I'd be curious to see what others have done. It would give a visual to the name so to speak.  ;D

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print