Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 10:02:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
fostex fe167e in a scaled imperial? (Read 8117 times)
60ndown
Ex Member

fostex fe167e in a scaled imperial?
01/15/06 at 14:12:22

would it work? how low would they go? 40hz 35? 28? im thinking  about a reasonable sized pair of floorstanding speakers  (4' x 1.5' x 1.5?)  and useing my 2 year old perfect foxtex drivers, what could i expect as an end result? would a tl desighn yeild better results?

IP Logged
boydon_lepasci
Ex Member

Re: fostex fe167e in a scaled imperial?
Reply #1 - 01/17/06 at 01:04:22

I would not try scaling an Imperial. There should be plenty of designs for a back horn for every Fostex model. When it comes to a real horn, its best to use one designed for a specific driver. If you're up to the math you can pick pretty much any type of enclosure. There is plenty of info and software to help at:

http://www.quarter-wave.com

IP Logged
footstony
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/17/06 at 03:38:03

60ndown,

You would need to scale the the imperial from 40Hz to around 60Hz  as the free air res frequ. of the fe126e is 70Hz.  you may also need to make the horn longer as the fe126e has a small optimum throat size.  The compression chamber will also need to be made smaller to match the throat and to compensate for the fe126e's decreasing output at low frequencies.

see my crazy experiments here

http://au.geocities.com/footstony/half80.html

Regards Philip

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/17/06 at 15:10:39

thanks guys, math n physics ill leave to you, guess if i want to break my tools out ill look for some plans somwehere.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/17/06 at 15:30:56

[quote author=60ndown  link=1137337942/0#3 date=1137510639]thanks guys, math n physics ill leave to you, guess if i want to break my tools out ill look for some plans somwehere. [/quote]
I think the Imperials are awesome. I'm just not sure you should try to scale down an Imperial. I'm afraid the magic will also be scaled down.

Moving right on to physics ..... I also think you should avoid a small driver, back loaded horn cab, that exits in the front. There is a reason why the Busch Horn is so popular or the Hornshoppe horns, too. I think it has to do with (insert complicated techno-babble here) and the fact that you will sit closer to these and any phasing anomalies will be easier to hear.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/17/06 at 21:54:24

I would cut the width down and make the chamber smaller for the smaller driver.  like a 5 foot tall 6 inch wide(or whatever the driver is) imperial.  Would look cool for sure.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/21/06 at 05:32:52

Don't!
it would be a shame for the Imperial and the Fostex.

look at the J low if you want something big and productive for the Fostex.

IMHO

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print