04/18/24 at 19:55:55 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help with HK 15 (Read 1076 times)
Tape_worm
Ex Member

Help with HK 15
01/13/06 at 03:02:45

I have a HK 15 with 2 Peavey 1505 (8ohm) Black Widow and I just ordered 2 more 15s today.  I read many have excellent success with the HK 15 driving the box with Dayton Drivers.  I am not sure if my expectation is too high, I don't share the same wow factor as everyone.  I have good bass enough to cause a some buzz and squeak, but the HK have not destroy anything in the house nor lavitate the carpet Smiley

I wonder where did i went wrong, Please help!!!   Cry  

Current configuration:
2 Black Widow facing into each other (push pull)
Mackie 1602 Mixer
JBL 5234 active Crossover @ 100Hz
McIntosh 7100 for main speakers
Crown K2 Bride Mono @ 2500W into the HK15 (you can smell the heat after a few minute at 1/2 power Grin)

In a few days, the other 2 blackwidow will be here.  How do you guys drive a Quad? All in Parallel or Parallel Series?

Did I choose the wrong driver for HK15? Should I went with the Dayton like everyone else?

The Crown amp can't drive 2 ohm load in Mono.  I will have to drive a Quad in bride stereo mode.

Thanks!

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Re: Help with HK 15
Reply #1 - 01/13/06 at 03:24:38

THe Black widows are suggested, so chances are they will work fine.

What you want to do is make sure the woofers all move in the same direction at the same time.  With 4 SVC Drivers, they should all be in parallel (+ to +, - to -) or series (+ to - to + to -....).

With four drivers the HWK really starts to shine, it tightens the response of the drivers and really makes the box pound.

IP Logged
Tape_worm
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/13/06 at 03:43:35

J_Rock,

Thanks for your advice, Top clam shell in the upper chamber will be driver by left channel and right will be the bottom.  I just have to be carefull to ensure that they are moving in the same direction.  

Below is a pic of the HK15, notice the picture did not fall off the wall  ;)
http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/10/IMG_0730.JPG

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/13/06 at 21:56:42

Good Luck!  I can't wait to see the picture demolished!

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/13/06 at 21:59:04

Also might want to try facing the 2 15s you ahve away from each other with magents in the center chamber.  Both still firing in the same direction.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/13/06 at 22:41:58

i would x over a little lower 70hz? also i think the black widows wont go 'that' low? maybe if the widows dont do it 4 u try something else?

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/13/06 at 23:19:11

"Using musical instrument woofers (ex. PEAVEY BLACK WIDOW) you get tight full accurate bass from 200 down to 40 HZ."-Steve Deckert

I would cross it around 150 depending on mids, i.e. if you ahve good mids that cover lower midbass well, lower XO.  

I have always thought midbass sounded better from larger cones, a little mor elively and real, so I try to XO high.

But if you are depressed in low end performances, ex. below 40hz, the WIdows might not cut it.

IP Logged
Tape_worm
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/01/06 at 03:40:24

Hey guys:

I made a new W bin.  I took two of the 4 black widows out of the HK15 and use them on the W bin.  Man this design is impressive, it kick the HK butt; no competition.  I broke my wife candle in the bathroom; it fell off  :D

Anyone interested in my HK15 (drivers are not included), Michigan resident only, please contact me.  The motal combat is decided, Wife likes the W bin and the HK15 got to go  :)

Here is the pic.  

Thanks for all your input, I found my sub.

http://img11.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img10/11/IMG_5601.JPG

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/02/06 at 12:26:27

Pardon my ignorance Tape_Worm, but what is a W bin?

Bob

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/02/06 at 17:46:04

It's like a big WO with fully separate flares with the driver in the middle.  The horn flares kind of form a W shape.

Like any horn it would have to be massive to go very low - think imperial tuned at 40 hz.  It will be loud as all heck but the hwk will probably go a good bit lower unless Tape's box is the size of a small closet at least.

Tape, which W bin did you make?  Or did you design it yourself?

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/02/06 at 17:56:16

Ok bassboy, thanks.

Bob

IP Logged
Tape_worm
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/03/06 at 05:11:14

Yes! It is a dual folded horn.  I got the design from another website.  I did some simulation and the number was very interesting (105db @45 Hz and 112 @100hz).  I have to build it.

As for the test, I play various music and action movies, the folded horn is a decisive winner; no contest.  I demo it to a friend and my wife; they both choose the folded horn.  The HK has a bit more refine bass, but barely noticeable.  Man, the folded horn will MAKE U JUMP OUTA the sofa when the bass hit with only 1/4 of my power.  I play some techno music (all deep bass), you can feel all your hair on back your neck standing up and goose bump chill on your skin  :D.  This box is scary!

The folded horns have two 15" black widows.  As you can see in the picture (above link).  There is an upper and lower horn.  This is the hardest woodworking project yet.  All the datto joints with complicated angle folding back and forward inside the box.  It is not an easy project, but it is well worth my time.

I apologize if I have offended any HK builders  :(.

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 06/03/06 at 05:24:06

Sounds similar, but lacking a bit compared to (original) Imperial response.  45 hz is not low.  Techno generally does not go low.  It's certainly not a subwoofer but if you are happy with the frequency response it offers there is no better way to get it than a big horn, IMO.

Just watch out when watching movies with REAL low frequency content.  After a huge low bass note your box won't be making any more sounds because you just blew up the driver and didn't even notice because you didn't hear anything.

If you want a real horn subwoofer there is only one that will fit in your room - it's called the Imperial SO.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 06/05/06 at 22:37:06

For music, W bins and other designs are louder than some of Steve's offerings, but Steve's designs are aimed at quality and accurate reproduction, not shit yourself one noters.

Not saying the W bin is bad, its just a different taste.  You happen to like it, I would rather have something else.

In any case, glad to hear you got what you wanted!

P.S.  I feel so old after reading my replies in this thread.  I can see the young sub builder in every word. lol

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print