Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 20:41:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Said I was'nt but did anyway (Read 11447 times)
gexter
Ex Member

Said I was'nt but did anyway
12/29/05 at 02:12:23

I said I was done scaling and gonna do it right with the WO32. But After I put $600 into a new hot water heater. Money became an issue again.

I am never gonna get my sub and horns built Sad

I need projects to keep in shape so out of stuff I had laying around  I built this. The MDF I bought.
The box is 10" high  and the tapered pipe is 1/2" smaller. other than that it is the same as the WO32.
Each of the subs are ADS 6" @ 4 Ohms. the plate amp is 50x2 into 4 Ohms.
It is not finished yet I am using it to tweak it .

This is not recommended and always hit and miss.

This time it was a hit with the stuff I used.The crossover point is not low enough on the amp,but I am going to try messing around with the guts of the enclosure to compensate.
The woofers have dynamat on them to preventing the basket from ringing.
The wire is braided PA wire used in school intercom systems.
thats about it.

and if I knew the picture was going to be this bad, I would have taken more and better ones before I sealed it up for testing.
Gonna watch a movie of two and try it. I was originally a sub for what was to be my horns that are put on hold again.

so here is a pic

There are some glaring changes but it resembles the WO32 more than it does not.
I got a kick out of it. I mean... really I got a kick out of it.

I still say its better to build it the way you should, but if you don't have the coin and have to build build it the best you can.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: Said I was'nt but did anyway
Reply #1 - 12/29/05 at 12:48:49

if i were you i would have waited a couple of months and put of money so that i can build it the way it was meant to be built. but if it sounds good and you're happy with it, i can't see any problems

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/29/05 at 17:02:01

For me I like the enjoyment of the build and it destroys my 10DB in SQ

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/29/05 at 19:24:55

nice job Gex, might hafta drop in next time i in RD, just to hear that, i am a strong beleiver in the notion that good bass, i mean real good bass, doesnt generally come from anything smaller than an 8, so this would be a learning experience for me.

thanks for tha pic Gex

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/29/05 at 20:07:02

hey JJ

I still have to tweak and I am blaming the crossover for the high freq comming through.

I like it enough to buy some real subs for it, But still have not had a chance to test it.

I like it better than the DB at first try, but I have to run it for a bit to make a real decision. I was excited that it even worked at all.

I may have some more audio stuff for ya, if I can make myself part with it. a pair of  8" drivers and a 12" sub driver in working condition. still cleaning out and throwing away and giving away.
In a couple months I will have nothing except my budget HT and then I will think about really where I want to go with this audio stuff.

once I have have it cleaned out I will take the winter to really decide the worth of this little hobby of mine.

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/29/05 at 21:17:34

im interested in this offer of yours for more stuff, just let me know and ill call rick to make a drop, those 8s would make a set of 4 for the HWK8 you sent down last time, sounds good with just 2, but id like to try dual iso as well.  I also have a plan for the 12" if you do part with it.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/29/05 at 22:58:46

gex,
i would reccomend putting your new sub somewhere where you can listen to it while doing  something else, not critical listening, just hearing. maybe in the workshop while you build something else? detail the car, do some sit ups? if its anything like mine it will  supprise you most when your not expecting it, sure it will play all your favorite bass lines perfectly, but what it will also do is reveal stuff you have NEVER HEARD.especially on recordings you know really well Cheesy

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/29/05 at 23:35:55

[quote author=gexter  link=1135825943/0#0 date=1135822343]
and if I knew the picture was going to be this bad, I would have taken more and better ones before I sealed it up for testing. [/quote]
Nice job, Gex,

If nothing else, you are familiar with the plans, right? I like the idea 60 has about living with it for a while before you judge it, too much. I hope it is as successful as my under the bed WO.

There's nothing wrong with your picture that more light wouldn't fix. The fuzziness is from trying to hand hold too long of an exposure. It's still better than most of Corey's. I even told him exactly what to do, but he blew me off and kept on posting really useless pictures. Oh well .....  I tried.

Sorry to hear about all the extra-audio expenses, you've had to endure, lately. You know Murphy's Law! Anything that can go wrong will. I believe that Murphy was quite the optimist by not even considering all the things that can't go wrong.
Undecided

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/30/05 at 01:32:34

thanks 60 good advice! I will start on my 250 sit ups tonight!! Roll Eyes
I now remember that you were tiling the floor or something like that and you really enjoyed your little one.

DD - your right about the light I forgot to turn on the flash because I wanted to get it back together quick.

I am leaving it alone for awhile and just sit back as 60 recommends. I would like to be able to pump more wattage into it  but thats a coinage thing.

Gex

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/31/05 at 17:46:33

listening to it while doing something is really good. doing stuff for school (like homework, projects) really takes time, and during that time i listen to music (more than 3 hrs/day).
you could always build a ported or sealed enclosure for your old subs and sell it, so you'd have money for an amp, new subs...
i'd sell my 12" ported to get money for a new 10, but it looks too cool with the subamp on top...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print