Send Topic Print
Imperial SO mod (Read 5766 times)
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Imperial SO mod
12/22/05 at 19:54:19

lol....

I love doing weird things.

I'm going to make a 1/4th scale Imperial SO. I'm going to put one 5x7 in it. I was thinking about adding my little portable TV to it, and in place of the TV speaker, it plays out the 5x7. It'll play lower than the current 3" speaker in the TV case, it will also be amplified by the horn design. The screen is only like 2.5-3.5 inches wide.

I'll stick a drawing in here in a minute to give you an idea of where and how.

In the meantime, lol, whatcha think?

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Re: Imperial SO mod
Reply #1 - 12/22/05 at 20:11:29

picture

IP Logged
boydon_lepasci
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/23/05 at 02:41:36

Well, if you don't know the specs for the driver and you're just picking the scaling factor for convenience, its a crap shoot. Stranger things have turned out impressive. If you have the time, why not?

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/23/05 at 03:30:57

yeah, they're just crap speakers. But I've also modded a wicked one and it turned out pretty damned wicked. I've also had the opposite happen. I really don't care what happens, I just like building.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/23/05 at 04:52:26

[quote author=Jet-Lee  link=1135284859/0#3 date=1135308657] I really don't care what happens, I just like building. [/quote]

I know how ya feel. Its a real struggle not to build.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/23/05 at 13:23:38

Well, I was workin with the TV last night....it's too big to be easily incorporated into my 1/4th ISO, so I'm just building the 1/4th ISO.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/23/05 at 20:00:57

my bad, it's a 1/3rd scale, not 1/4th.

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/29/05 at 21:06:37

you arent expecting bass out of this right?

at 1/3 scale, or even 1/2 scale the tuning of the horn is changed, and no lomger of sufficient size to accomodate bass frequencies in the flare, so the best you could hope for there would be a decent midbass response.  It will likely carry a great deal, and have some punch as well.

you have such engaging ideas jet, ever consider making an income out of it?

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/29/05 at 21:55:40

I'm not expecting bass whatsoever really, I just enjoy the build. Good results are just a plus.

I actually am thinking about starting a business. No one in my area does 100% custom box designs. It's a lot of off-the-shelf stuff. I'd like to be that guy who will take your car for a day, make a mold of the trunk, and give a stealthy box with a ton of punch. Or a kickass show setup that has never been seen before. I'm working right now with a buddy turning his Bronco II into a showstopper, as far as appearance goes. What we're doing with his stereo setup has never been shown in any show magazine or advertisement of any kind.

To really get a business going, I need the money for a shop and proper tools, but seein as I'm gettin married in March, money's kinda hard to spare.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print