Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 09:01:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Taboo and Benchmark Dac1 (Read 11164 times)
nblis
Ex Member

Taboo and Benchmark Dac1
11/24/05 at 19:48:17

I was just wondering if anyone had connected their Taboo directly to the Benchmark dac1 and what the result was?  It seems to me that this would be an ideal way to combine the two.

I have the dac1, and I was thinking that mating it with the Taboo would be enough to drive my Vandersteen 1c's.

Thanks,
Noel

IP Logged
yosemite_sam
Ex Member

Re: Taboo and Benchmark Dac1
Reply #1 - 11/24/05 at 20:37:09

Hi
To get the best result with a Taboo your source need to output 2.5V or more IMO. I use a CSP preamp to drive the Taboo. I get the best dynamics and weight with the preamp in the chain. I use two sources, a Noje Tjoeb CDP (2.5V rms) for upsampled sound and a HK DVD-31 (2V rms) for non-upsampled sound.  :)

Sam

IP Logged
nblis
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/24/05 at 20:56:14

Thanks for the answer Sam.  But I specificaly would like to know if anybody has hooked his dac1 up directly to the Taboo, and what the results were.  The dac1 has a volume pot, so I was wondering how this sounds directly into the Taboo.

Thanks much for your input.
Noel

IP Logged
FragrantHead
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/25/05 at 11:43:47

I have a DAC1, but not a TABOO. Just in regard to Sams comment, the DAC1 has a ton of calibration options to boost or attenuate output and it's default settings are already on the high side into my ZBox. I reckon it might well reach 2.5V.

IP Logged
nblis
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/25/05 at 12:45:36

I'm sure there is enough juice to drive the Taboo with the dac1.  I'm just curious if anyone has done this, and how it sounded without the preamp.  
Thanks for your input!

IP Logged
jp
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/17/05 at 01:35:21

I drive the taboo with the benchmark dac1.   The dac 1 was an expensive fix for my below par changer source, but I figured it could be one of a series of improvements.   My speakers are not very efficient (Soliloquy 5.0's).   The combination of the dac1/taboo has transfromed the sound of the speakers - crystallizing the magic of music in my listening room.  Unfortunately I have a very slow sub woofer (mastiff reference) with a slight hum that has forced me to shut it down exposing my lack of bass.  

Therefore 1.5 or 3.0 radials are next on my list .

IP Logged
yosemite_sam
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/17/05 at 02:01:31

You can try this cheap sub from Yamaha. It's very fast. I bought it after Brad (gnat_leader) recommended it  :)

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3964596

IP Logged
jp
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/02/06 at 01:21:19

I just pulled the trigger on the 1.5's.  I hope I won't need that sub . . .

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/03/06 at 18:35:39

[quote author=yosemite_sam  link=1132865297/0#6 date=1134784891]You can try this cheap sub from Yamaha. It's very fast. I bought it after Brad (gnat_leader) recommended it  :)

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3964596 [/quote]

Sam,
 What main speakers are you using the little Yammy "bass augmentor" with?  And are you using two or just one?   How do you like it/them?  I think they're amazing for their cost.

IP Logged
Sam in USA
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/03/06 at 19:36:02

I am using them with Omega Super 3 signle driver speakers in my bedroom. I am using just one.
Sam

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print