Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 00:15:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Goodwill $20 bucks = Jensen G-610! (Read 12883 times)
OTL
Ex Member

Goodwill $20 bucks = Jensen G-610!
11/17/05 at 21:58:28

I'm a newbie here and would like to share a cool story and solicit some advice.

As luck would have it, I happened across a JBL C37 Signature cabinet at the local Goodwill.  After noticing the brass Jensen mid/high controls on the side of the cabinet I almost wet myself.  I then asked "How much" and the dude placed a $20 sticker on the walnut veneer.  Needless to say this piece was going home with me.  You would have laughed your ass off watching me cram this baby into the back seat of my Infiniti G35.  Very close to a "gas-tight" fit!

After wrestling the cabinet into my living room by myself, I removed the rear cabinet panel and was greeted by a Jensen Triaxial, Ultra-High Fidelity G-610!  Oh My!  This baby has been in here since 1956 or so and NEVER touched.  As they say, unmolested and minty.

Enuff about me and my good fortune.....what would you folks suggest?

- build a single Imperial cabinet?
- obtain another G-610 and build a stereo pair and drive 'em with my Atma-Sphere M60 MK II's?
- sell the G-610 and take the (considerable) profit?

If nothing else this little story should keep you all on the lookout at your local Goodwill.  

Thanks and Godspeed,

OTL

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Re: Goodwill $20 bucks = Jensen G-610!
Reply #1 - 11/17/05 at 22:12:51

One part stood out from that entire story other than your great luck:

"Infiniti G35" and "Goodwill"  

Isn't the G35 the new Skyline?

IP Logged
OTL
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/17/05 at 22:59:02

Well, Goodwill has been very, very good to me.  Just call me "Thrifty".  Between the Greenwich, CT, Stamford, CT and Westport, CT stores I've brought home...

Pair of Spica Angelus (in my living room, playing now)
A Thorens TD-125 w/SME arm (refurb'ed and sold for $350)
Pair of ADS L710's (thrill my guests during cook outs)
Pair of ADS L810's (downstairs system, Ohhh the tweets!)
Scott 222C integrated amp (on the bench for cap/rectifier repl)
Many, many turntables......(restored for selected friends)
Yamaha CR-2020 receiver that ROCKS the ADS 810's!
And much else that has been either traded, sold off or given away.  My Jensen find is just, without a doubt, the coolest.

And the Goodwill shopping list goes on to include vinyl, furniture, telescopes, cast iron cookware, and ......

Perhaps my dumpster diving allows me to drive a G35?

But no matter, as far as I'm concerned this is all about the music.  Have you had the opportunity to listen to the Black Keys?  If not, your world is about to change....http://www.fatpossum.com/   And while you're there check out R.L. Burnside and Junior Kimbrough.....it'll scare the shit outta ya!

No need to thank me.....you're welcome.

OTL

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/17/05 at 23:06:04

Sorry, just nto diggin the black keys, but thats neat all the stuff you have found! way to go!

IP Logged
Brian
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/21/05 at 00:27:22

An Imperial would be perfect for the 610.  That is what I would do.

IP Logged
Henry
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 08/07/10 at 08:19:38

The Goodwill stores out here in SoCal SUCK!....And I used to work
for them too a while back. Picked up alot of neat stuff, but never saw them hit any of the local stores in the valley where I live (San Fernando
Valley).
Besides the fact that, there are a lot of thrift stores spread across the SoCal area, can't hit them all in a year. What you paid for that one speaker cabinet and the Jensen inside, would have easily been 4X that here. That's how inflated things are here...sad Embarrassed
If you find another one, enjoy them both! The G610 is awesome and
has a wonderful tonal quality that is sweet. The G600 I have, are keepers.....They are sweet to the ears Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print