Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 10:13:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What to use for the enclosure ? (Read 20764 times)
gexter
Ex Member

What to use for the enclosure ?
11/17/05 at 13:55:28

Many of us use the old venerable MDF for the enclosure.
What do you all think of using birch ply and solid birch for the enclosure.

I am only guessing is would not flex as much and sound better.
Any input on anything welcome.

Good Ideas and bad ideas, I will just take thoughts and ideas on all aspects of the build. Things you wanted to try on yours and never did, ETC.

I do have a well thought out plan but things are subject to change. I will not even have the time to even start until mid January or even the coin. So I have the time to think and rethink.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Re:   What to use for the enclosure ? 2nd tr
Reply #1 - 11/17/05 at 15:46:51

I've wanted to make an enclosure entirely out of 2x4's. Put the flatter(3.75") sides together, caulk it up nice and smooth or screw on a thin sheet of something so you have a smooth flat surface for the sound to bounce off of. It would be BIG though, with abosolutely NO flex, lol.

I'd still like to try.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Re:   What to use for the enclosure ? 2nd tr
Reply #2 - 11/17/05 at 16:36:42

Good Idea! but I have a variation. if you laminate strips of wood like the surface of a butcher block and plane it at about 3/4 inch you would create a wonderful pattern that would be a treat to look at and should be as good as MDF.
Your thought made me think of that! thanks.
It is in consideration.
Kids fighting gotta go

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Re:   What to use for the enclosure ?
Reply #3 - 11/17/05 at 20:21:44

that sounds awesome, and heavy.

Good luck. If that's what you choose to do, I want pics!

Working on a new project..... Smiley

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/17/05 at 21:53:47

I think I may go to the local CNC shop and have them cut the cross-section of the WO32 out of a few sheets of MDF.  Then I would layer the sheets and glue them all together.  It is the same technique many people are now using to build very complex organic horns.  Works out wonderful by transfering energy extremely well.  Plus I would bet MDF doesn't flex much allong its plane.

IP Logged
2Sounz
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/17/05 at 22:54:08

I am giving a thought to doing the WO32s and unless I find a good reason not to, I think I will go with 3/4" birch ply.
If it doesn't have to be MDF, then I would prefer to do without the MDF type dust.  With plywood it might be easier to screw in the boards too as MDF really has a tendency to split that way.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/17/05 at 22:56:54

concrete Grin

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/17/05 at 23:06:51

60NDOWN for the WIN!

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/17/05 at 23:07:27

uh thanks 60.  ???
That'll be easy to move around to find the ideal spot.  :'(
natural wood would be stronger along its plane and laminated I would think. Not sure at the moment. Have to get my books out. I use ref book to figure load factors on types of wood etc. thats how I figure things

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/17/05 at 23:13:01

[quote author=60ndown  link=1132239328/0#6 date=1132268214]concrete Grin

[/quote]
I think I'm gonna do that one day, just to be able to say I did.

IP Logged
bnew63
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/17/05 at 23:45:48

Ikea sells a beech lamant used mainly for counter tops but would work great for this application.Beech is know for it's stability,that's why woodworking benches are made of the stuff.I used it for an Island that I made a few years ago and it comes in 2' wide sections.
And it looks good to Roll Eyes
                            Brian

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/18/05 at 00:00:28

[quote author=gexter  link=1132239328/0#8 date=1132268847]
. Have to get my books out. I use ref book to figure load factors on types of wood etc. thats how I figure things

[/quote]

There you have it you´ve answered youre own question BOOK´s  :D  Just dip the ref books in resin and laminate them together should make for a refrence grade sound Kiss

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/18/05 at 03:41:24

well thats even more interesting than concrete, and the possibilties are endless. ???
all viable alternatives I must say; however concete and laminated books may not be the most prudent or practical. If one had the time the books would create something very unique and the concrete would be a wonderful idea for something built in.
Scaling would be a nightmare because 3/4 inch concrete would not be much use. And mess with the design like the WO32 and somethings got to give.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/18/05 at 11:31:33

wooden rulers
cardboard
legos

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 11/18/05 at 18:32:48

as far as concrete, it could be implemented....
i mean in 2 steps :
1) build the box out of something cheap and do placement testing.
2) once you figure out the best place you can build the concrete one....

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 11/18/05 at 20:51:12

3/4 inch concrete can be very strong especially if reinforced and high grade + fiber embedded + micro silica ect. ect.
One of the good things about concrete is there is a lot of documentation and info. Personally I use repair concrete like CR-60 (with some personal additives)  :-* very strong stuff

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 11/18/05 at 21:35:57

Mix in some shredded up fiberglass, that should keep it together pretty damned well.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 11/18/05 at 22:50:46

Well thats a good idea but when I think of concrete, I think of pretty big chucks of rocks and sand. But I have used that light stuff they use on floors in appartments. Its more of an epoxy than a concrete.
fiberglass and I go way back to the Car audio and boat building days. I bought a ton of Matt for my Imperial I never used and could use it inside and add a gel coat so make it glass like.
But thats too much effort and expense.

Placement test is a good idea and if I was to use concrete It would be an imperial sub but not a SO or a WO 32.

Man do I have lego! but not that much.

All ideas actually have merit, because even the wierd ones spark ideas.

I am going to a specialty wood working store to check some stuff out tommorrow in the big city.
( lee valley tools)

Can't start building until the Xmas bills are taken care of, so like I said I have time to really use the imagination.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 11/18/05 at 22:58:18

You can have my legos if you let me help build it, just to say we built a lego WO.

IP Logged
bnew63
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 11/18/05 at 23:45:35

Ferro cement is used in boat building and is very strong.One could build a collapsible inside form,cover it with a few layers of diamond lath and cover with a strong mpa motar.
It would only need to be 0ne or two inches thick so it would still be some what portable.
                         Brian

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 11/19/05 at 02:33:21

[quote author=J_Rock  link=1132239328/15#18 date=1132354698]You can have my legos if you let me help build it, just to say we built a lego WO. [/quote]

a little acetone a lot of legos. Hmmmmm ???
It would be funky thats fer sure. I be way up in Canada ther Lad.
It would be blast building with a fellow dewareite, but I thinks we be far apart

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print