Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 10:51:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Housewrecker 15 coincidence/caution (Read 4385 times)
Jerry_Allen
Ex Member

Housewrecker 15 coincidence/caution
11/16/05 at 14:39:25

Running slow sweep tones through my home theater system to see the response with the HWK-15.

The 1st time... later that day I discovered the water heater was not running, gass valve failed. The 2nd time a day later... late that night the furnace was not working, the thermocoupler failed.

The HWK-15 does transfer enough energy to the house to move many objects, I would suppose it can damage or push a failing part into failure.

The sweep
http://www.tlxt.net/jerry/Slow-Sweep.jpg

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Re: Housewrecker 15 /caution
Reply #1 - 11/16/05 at 16:12:14

possible!
I have shut off thermostats in my garage and house furnace prematurely from vibration.
The thermocoupler I find unusal. It could be the conection more than the coupler itself.
Thats just a guess.
Vibrations and heat are something that you spend way too much time trying to cure in things not add too.
But thats kinda funny in a way. I think it was more coincidence but  I would not discount it at all.

IP Logged
Jerry_Allen
Ex Member

Re: Housewrecker 15 /caution
Reply #2 - 11/16/05 at 16:39:34

[quote author=gexter  link=1132155565/0#1 date=1132157534]possible!
I have shut off thermostats in my garage and house furnace prematurely from vibration.
The thermocoupler I find unusal. It could be the conection more than the coupler itself.
Thats just a guess.
Vibrations and heat are something that you spend way too much time trying to cure in things not add too.
But thats kinda funny in a way. I think it was more coincidence but  I would not discount it at all. [/quote]

Definitely the thermocoupler. No amount of cleaning, tightening or fiddling would make it work. Replaced it, the furnace now works again...

I think the key may be slow sweeps as this REALLY allows the house and everything in it to resonate at the particular frequency that the object might be inclined to do so. It takes quite a long time to sweep from 10hz thru 20khz and there are quite a few frequencies in the range from 10hz to 200hz that the piano plays up stairs and salt/pepper shackers walk across the table upstairs...

Odd thing the DAYTON DC380-8 15" CLASSIC WOOFERs do not move like the "classic" subwoofer driver would move but the amount of sound coming from the ports on the HWK is mind numbing if you are close enough to see the driver in the large ported end.

Jerry

I seriously doubt my HWK-15 will ever see the limit of its ability to make bass.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print