Send Topic Print
IMPERIAL SO PLANS (Read 3271 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

IMPERIAL SO PLANS
10/27/05 at 20:57:47

The Imperial SO (Sub Only) plans are nearing completion.  I should have them available on the site within a weeks time if all goes well.  I have also been modeling various drivers that should work well in this design.  Those will be posted here as well as be included in the plans.

WWW   IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Re: IMPERIAL SO PLANS
Reply #1 - 10/27/05 at 22:03:51

The Imp SO revealed!

thanks Steve

IP Logged
Hrappur
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/27/05 at 22:27:18

Looks massive! what kind of room-size are we talking about?

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/28/05 at 01:40:15

What's the football shape near the end of the slot all about?  ???

I like to see a healthy use of bracing in a sub cab. Cheesy

IP Logged
bnew63
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/28/05 at 01:48:14

It looks like the football shape is to allow the panel to fit over the driver???.Can you hear the collective gears a grinding Cheesy Cheesy The iotside diamensions look very similar to the regular Imperial

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/28/05 at 02:04:06

[quote author=Hrappur  link=1130446667/0#2 date=1130448438]Looks massive! what kind of room-size are we talking about? [/quote]

If you're wondering if your room will be big enough, then it's probably not. Grin

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/28/05 at 02:37:23

[quote author=Steve Deckert  link=1130446667/0#0 date=1130443067]The Imperial SO (Sub Only) plans are nearing completion.  I should have them available on the site within a weeks time if all goes well.  I have also been modeling various drivers that should work well in this design.  Those will be posted here as well as be included in the plans.

[/quote]

I am still interested to no end about the type of driver, Just want to see how close I was.

The best part of all this is we can all stop guessing and stop the fallout from the speculation.

Live and learn

Gex

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/28/05 at 16:31:40

sweet manna from the Gods!

i am enthralled by the beauty of the beast... nay, i am in fear.  This is without a doubt the most serious bass maker I have ever seen, short of adire audio's experimental parthenon driver, but thats in a class by itself i think (120db@7((yes seven))hz OB!).

oh if only i had a garage, or somewhere to put them once i was finished... Sad

Steve is such a nice guy for posting those preliminary plans for us fanboys, that sort of thing ensures brand loyalty, at least for me anyways.

Thanks Steve

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/28/05 at 16:40:07

after gazing for awhile, it looks to me that the sealed chamber behind the driver is surrounded by dead space, does this mean that one could adjust the volume of that space to accomodate different drivers?  That would make this enclosure very adaptable to almost any driver.  I see why Steve said that this might fly in the face of conventional design, i could experiment with this thing for years...

Steve, could this be revised to accomodate a set of four 10" drivers? it would probably result in an increase in SQ since the motors wouldnt have to work so hard to move that big cone AND the horn too.  Four motors are better than one, right?  just a little brainstorm.

how many sheets are we talking about here, looks like about 5 apiece, this is something i would build in i think.  someone here ordered ziggy Imps, i wonder what the shipping difference would be?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #9 - 10/28/05 at 17:50:48

The football shape exists for proper clearance at the top edge of the woofer.  It also acts as a pre-compression chamber that sets the stage for a good launch of pressure towards the throat of the horn.  I could have built the cabinet to where the woofer wouldn't have had clearance issues, but my main concern was balancing and controlling the pressures in front of the cone.

Using anything other then the single 15 inch driver would require a complete re-design of this removable front section and likely create significantly more problems then anything else.

WWW   IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/30/05 at 21:31:03

#^*+*!  .........darling..........do you mind if i build a new subwoofer?.... shes gonna kill me............... Roll Eyes Grin Cry

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/30/05 at 22:55:53

I hear ya and I am not even going to try to build one. unless like I said before, my exsiting concept could morph into one in stages.
The word driver or speaker are verbotten at the moment.

Because I don't want to upset the cart before the WO32 plans arrive.

Gex

IP Logged
Brian
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/10/05 at 01:55:14

Great stuff.  Thanks for the design Steve.  :)

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/11/05 at 16:04:10

What exactly makes it a sub-only, could I not use a single 15" coaxial driver to cover the full range?

Dave

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 11/11/05 at 19:03:21

Dave

the cabinet itself is designed to cut out high frequency reproduction in the horn.  The horn itself is a hard thing for the driver to load, so a coax would likely be a waste of time, especially when you consider the amount of air redirected by the front panel, at best it would be very beamy.

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 11/11/05 at 21:42:12

Can anybody think of a better Christmas gift than an SO?

I like to think back to all the great Christmas presents from when you were a kid. I am sorry but it doesn't get much better then Christmas as a kid. Getting presents, rule!

Anyways you take that feeling of anticipation and it is like you are excited because you know you are getting something from Decware. Doesn't matter what. It is from decware so you know it will be good.

She doesn't tell what it is though!  :D

It is the full size blueprint plans for an Imperial SO. You are either exstatic if you really get it or you are curious.
Then you build one and when you adjust the volume on your bass amp driving it for the very first time the real meaning of that gift from Decware comes through. You have never loved your wife more! Yup... this is definately a gift that keeps on giving.

Corey  :)

IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 11/14/05 at 23:40:55

Thanks jj.

Dave

IP Logged
Kim Bay Smidt
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 06/04/06 at 09:55:47

Missing distances in the plans...

a)
For the brace A I need to know the distance from the 0.75" cut at the bottom of the frontplate holding the driver and down to the first sharp bend (upwards in the plans).

I'm drawing the Imp SO in 3D using SolidWorks and here I get 4.68" but this look way to long compared to Steves plans.

b)
I need more information to make the K-slot.
The radius and the distance for the short parts (at top, bottom and right).

c)
The removable frontplate is 37.53 inches wide in the plans. Is this correct as the total width of the cabinet is 37.50?

d) Placement of brace E. I need more information to make the brace in the right way or the distance to the back or front (inside measurements.)

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 06/05/06 at 02:41:27

As you may or may not know, these plans are very new and I'm guessing not many people have them yet.

Of the people that own SO's, most or all had them built for them.

It's probably best to call the bossman, at least then you know the info you get is correct.

IP Logged
Kim Bay Smidt
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 06/06/06 at 21:09:26

I asked Steve 3 questions in an e-mail and he answered me quickly:

Quote:
A) 3.xx inches
B) The curve is x X y inches, we usually plot the points and then bend a thin strip of wood to create the arc and trace it with a pencil.  The distance is the same at all the ends, xx inches.
C) Plans will be available in the future.

Upcoming plans!  ;D

Edited: removed some of the distances from here - buy the plans!

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 06/06/06 at 21:39:16

You were trying to figure it out without plans?

Of all the designs available here, that is the LAST one I would try to duplicate without plans.  The original 1956 plans might get you close, but I'm guessing not nearly close enough.

IP Logged
Lee in Arkansas
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 06/06/06 at 21:45:40

I've downloaded the plans from the site. My rendition, from the picture at the beginning of this thread, was scarily close.

EDIT-Scarily, per bassboy. Yeah, it checks out at dictionary.com. Unfortunately, scaringly does not. I could have sworn that was a word. Embarrassed

EDIT(again)- I don't care what you call me. My name is Leland. I've been called Lee(most often Wink), Kiddo(family Smiley), Neo(wore a trenchcoat to school after Columbine, just to see what the staff would do Kiss), Jet-Lee(friends, for my extensive martial arts background Tongue), Ben(more friends, because they thought Leland sounded weird Roll Eyes), and Redneck(friends, because I've always been the redneck looking/acting/engineering one in the group, then I moved to Arkansas Cheesy).

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 06/06/06 at 21:59:25

LOL, you crack me up too, Jet.  You don't mind if I call you Jet, do you?

Anyway there are some grammar issues too, not just the spelling of "ahve".

Next time try "scarily", although I'm not sure that's a proper word.  To be safe, "alarmingly, disconcertingly, shockingly" all fit the bill.

IP Logged
Kim Bay Smidt
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 06/06/06 at 22:04:30

[quote author=bassboy  link=1130446667/15#20 date=1149626356]You were trying to figure it out without plans?

Of all the designs available here, that is the LAST one I would try to duplicate without plans.  The original 1956 plans might get you close, but I'm guessing not nearly close enough. [/quote]
Yes, it's pretty complex task to duplicate without plans so I do it WITH plans. Grin
I'm drawing the speaker in 3D in SolidWorks to get more detailed plans. Furthermore I need to translate inches to metric as I'm living in Europe. ???
I'll send my work to Steve for free.

Now I'm just waiting for the release of the Nibbelin NFX plans.  :D

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 06/06/06 at 22:07:08

Kim is absolutely right, those dimensions he was asking about aren't on the plans directly, and would require some complex maths to solve anyways.

IP Logged
Lee in Arkansas
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 06/07/06 at 02:04:59

Kim, you do know that you can set SolidWorks to use inches, right?

That seems like quite an undertaking, I think I might give a shot, for the hell of it.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 06/07/06 at 03:16:00

I think he means, model it in inches using the dimensioned drawings, then use solidworks to convert everything and give him more detailed drawings.

IP Logged
Lee in Arkansas
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 06/07/06 at 04:16:28

Well, what you can do in SolidWorks (one of my side jobs is 75% SolidWorks, 25%AutoCAD), is design it in SolidWorks all in inches, then change the setting to metric and rebuild it. It converts all the measurements right there on the spot for you. Really awesome when you have it drawn out in the drawings.

BTW-I love this program.

IP Logged
Kim Bay Smidt
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 06/07/06 at 07:34:53

[quote author=Lee in Arkansas  link=1130446667/15#27 date=1149650188]Well, what you can do in SolidWorks (one of my side jobs is 75% SolidWorks, 25%AutoCAD), is design it in SolidWorks all in inches, then change the setting to metric and rebuild it. It converts all the measurements right there on the spot for you. Really awesome when you have it drawn out in the drawings.

BTW-I love this program. [/quote]
Exactly what I'm doing. Grin

It's pretty hard to get plywood in Europe 0.75" thick so I also need to change thickness (20 mm ~ 0,787").

IP Logged
Gex
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 06/07/06 at 11:06:35

Hey Jet/lee whatever.
As you get older you take a little ribbing with a little more grace.
I am kinda old, likely over twice your age and you would never know it to meet me. You got nothing to prove to me. If I correct your spelling feel free to get me back.
You can go all bruce lee or all Mr engineer on me,but your just a fella called jet to me Smiley we are all in the same game.

My SO guess was also close enough to work as well and it used the corner horn dimensions.

BTW I will check out that program so thanks Smiley

IP Logged
Lee in Arkansas
Ex Member

Reply #30 - 06/07/06 at 13:09:15

ribbing? where? I'm hungry........

I've got a ...ahem... special copy of SolidWorks 2005 with Cosmos.  :P Just drop me a line. Kiss

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 06/07/06 at 17:10:47

Jet knows I'm just kidding - or at least he should know I'm just kidding.

I'm not any better, if you look at some of the gobledegook I've typed in haste.

I was just referencing the "ahve" joke from the previous day.

IP Logged
Gex
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 06/07/06 at 17:14:25

MMMMMMM ribs now I am hungry! Grin Grin Grin Grin

Ya bassboy its all in fun until someone loses an eye! Roll Eyes

( snicker ) Smiley

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 06/07/06 at 17:52:08

I promise to leave his eyes alone.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 06/07/06 at 18:35:11

[quote author=Gex  link=1130446667/30#32 date=1149696865]
Ya bassboy its all in fun until someone loses an eye! Roll Eyes

( snicker ) Smiley [/quote]
....... then it's all about one eyed fun and games .......

IP Logged
Lee in Arkansas
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 06/07/06 at 18:55:36

Yeah, I caught it, and just played.

one eyed fun? That reminds me of a baaaaad joke....lemme find the link.

EDIT-I think this is the correct link, but I'm firewalled from the site, so I cannot verify.

EDIT(again)-Yup, that's it. Be warned, it's really baaad. Tongue

IP Logged
Bob in St. Louis
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 06/07/06 at 20:14:29

That's just bad dude, sick.  ;)

Bob

IP Logged
boydon_lepasci
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 06/08/06 at 04:51:41

Just a twist on an oooold gem I know. The way I heard it, the guy knows what he's getting but can't afford better. He's so happy with the results that he promises to return when he has more money. Her reply is, "I'll keep an eye out for you".

IP Logged
Lee in Arkansas
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 06/08/06 at 05:08:07

1st response: ewwww, eewwww, bleh
1 minute later: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print