Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 17:05:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Radials in listening Room (Read 13627 times)
playntheblues
Ex Member

Pictures of Radials in listening Room
10/21/05 at 23:16:29

If you notice I am still playing around with the room treatment.  The room is coming around and the speakers are just singing Cheesy

Ah....um.....er....could someone walk me through the steps of inserting pictures here?  Thanks LOL, Guy

IP Logged
ziggy
Ex Member

Re: Pictures of Radials in listening Room
Reply #1 - 10/21/05 at 23:55:47

Guy,

I sent my pictures to Giorgino, and let him post them. Is that lazy or what.

Bob Z.

Can you help "G"

IP Logged
Giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/22/05 at 00:47:05

PM sent

IP Logged
Doorman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/22/05 at 02:24:33

Yes, its OT, but, there's at least one  of us here who's a computer dunce, and would love a lesson re: how to post pics.
  ???

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/22/05 at 02:30:09

I describe my procedure in this thread.
It works.

IP Logged
Giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/22/05 at 09:59:03

Here you go:

IP Logged
playntheblues
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/22/05 at 12:09:54

George & Dirtdawg thank you.  I will try to learn how to post pictures.  

As far as room treatment goes.......I have two options after reading Steve’s writings on room treatment.

1). Raise my ceiling to 9 feet, which is the height in the middle where the coffin part of the ceiling is, which by the way I believe is causing some problems anyway.  This will bring my side walls within 2 inches of option C on Steve’s room page and I would also need to add a wall where the banister is, this would be about 2 inches short of option C on Steve’s room page.  I assume the cost of this would be about $2,500.00 or so without traps etc.

2). Buy a TAcT 2.2 X room correction preamp.  I am not terribly fond of adding digital to my system but from what the guys on audio circle post they are very happy with the TAcT equipment.

Opinions and thoughts are greatly appreciated.  This looks like it could be my final step to audio nirvana!  Certainly from reading Steve’s writings on the subject it looks to be a HUGH step in the right direction.  Have any of you guys used the TAcT?  The TAcT would be the simplest way to go, but most often the simplest way is not the best way if you know what I mean.

I am VERY happy with my grounded grid and the sound I’m getting with the equipment so changing the equipment always makes me a little nervous.  Surely some of you guys have traveled this road as well.  I would love to hear from Steve D.

We are getting ready to paint the room, replace the carpet (with thick carpet and a thick pad) and place the sofa and chair side by side (sitting for four) on the back wall. On a platform about 12 inches high and get three nice theater seats and place where the sofa is now and remove the coffee table, end tables etc.  The TV will be replaced with a retractable screen so we won’t have anything in between the speakers other than the equipment rack which would be one tier lower without the TV.  

Well this is our plan and our options as it stands now.  Once again all thoughts are welcome.  All the best, Guy

IP Logged
Giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/22/05 at 15:29:13

Guy,

Nice room - you got plenty of space to work with. The RL3's placement infront of the staircase is a good one. You're utilising the unused space very cleverly. I bet you get plenty of stage depth.

Quote:
The TAcT would be the simplest way to go, but most often the simplest way is not the best way if you know what I mean.

I think you might mean "convenient". For me, simplicity usually gets me better results audio-wise. I've tried a number of more complex elements in my system and they usually resulted in solving one set of problems only to add another set of issues. I'd be inclined to make do with your system for a while and tweak incrementally. You always have the option of changing components later.

I was looking at the Tact DAC/Room Correction Preamp myself. That would do a lot to keep my hifi real-estate to a minimum. The greatest fear would be to invest in the equipment only to be disappointed with the results or at least to only achieve the same results as before. I'd seriously miss the timing of my AckdAck if I had to sacrifice those qualities.

IP Logged
playntheblues
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/22/05 at 18:36:32

George, You have a good point.  Although fixing my room through ether treatment & consturction or the TAct would be my next step.  

I don't have the sound stage depth, I do get center and left and right images very nicely.  I think the TV is messing up the depth.  But I want to get the room finished before installing the projector.  Oh well it is a journey.  Guy

IP Logged
Giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/23/05 at 11:50:12

Guy,

Steve made a recommendation on the other thread which proved highly effective and may work for your soundstage depth for the interim. Try hanging some treatment on the wall in the staircase is and see what happens. As an experiment, try moving the TV somewhere else. I'd be interested in the results. Do report back.

Regards

George

IP Logged
marcus
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/23/05 at 15:39:14

[quote author=playntheblues  link=1129936589/0#6 date=1129979394]
2). Buy a TAcT 2.2 X room correction preamp.  I am not terribly fond of adding digital to my system but from what the guys on audio circle post they are very happy with the TAcT equipment. [/quote]

Well, just as another data point, I have had the 2.0 version of the Tact in my system for several years now, but I have recently decided that it just isn't doing enough for me to keep around.  (I'm also eliminating my DAC from the chain, so part of this is to just simplify the signal path.)  In my system/room, the Tact made a clearly audible difference.  Unfortunately, I was never really convinced that the difference was actually an improvement.  I left it on most of the time, but every time I switched back into bypass mode, I found myself wondering if it was really better with it in or just different.  When I removed it from the circuit entirely, I found a noticeable increase in transparency; if the processing had really improved my in-room response, it probably would have out-weighed this.  This could mean that I just needed to spend more time tweaking the response curves, but I remain unconvinced (and I really found the software tweaking process kind of a pain).  On the other hand, a friend of mine swears by his Tact (and he really likes tweaking the response curves), so I suspect its effectiveness depends a lot on your room, your associated equipment, and your interest in fiddling with response curves.  Once my new Torii finishes burning in, I'm going to try the Tact one more time with my RL-3's, but if I don't find a real improvement, it's off to Audiogon...

IP Logged
playntheblues
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/23/05 at 16:18:19

Marcus, thank you very much for your imput, very interesting ???  When does your Torri arrive?

IP Logged
marcus
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/23/05 at 20:13:37

It came in about a week ago (check out my post on first impressions over in the Zen Triode forum...).  It is still breaking in (I haven't been able to play it as much as I would like this last week), but I have to say, it's looking like a really great match with the RL-3's.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print