Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question for Ziggy. (Read 22338 times)
Corey
Ex Member

Question for Ziggy.
10/13/05 at 20:27:05

Ziggy,

I just received the Alternate Tuned kit from you and want to know what I should use to glue the passives on?

Thanks for shipping them to me!

Take care,

Corey

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Re: Question for Ziggy.
Reply #1 - 10/13/05 at 21:49:34

Corey, Ziggy recommended Weldbond adhesive. I couldn't find it, so I used a general purpose craft glue I got from Michael's Craft Supply. It looks like white Elmers and dries clear. Seems to have worked fine.

IP Logged
Hrappur
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/13/05 at 22:29:21

I know this is a question for Ziggy (not me Tongue) but I coulnīt find weldbond so I used sikabond 540 which is a kind of elmers but it is water and humidity proof. I Apply it with a brush on both surround(of passive) and cabinet and used a rolled-up cardboard strip to fitt over the surround. if you do one at a time you place the cabinet on its side (with the port facing up) drop in the new passive (all glued up) place the rolled up strip of cardboard ,tapped so it wont unroll (roll up enough to cover the outside of the passive) and finally place some weight on top (a few big books should do it)

JUst thought Id drop in the thing about the cardboard as Iīve seen some people are going to the length of routing a special disk to do the same thing Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Falconer
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/14/05 at 12:36:06

When I glued in the passives I used 5/16" vinyl tubing cut slightly longer than the circumference of the opening. That way when I put the tubing in to hold the passive in place it makes for a tight fit and is self clamping. This worked fine and I could glue all passives in at the same time. I wonder how Ziggy does this ???

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/14/05 at 18:30:04

I just put the glue on both sides and let it setup (as directed by the instructions on the glue bottle - maybe 10 minutes?), and then pressed them into place. For the first hour, every 10 minutes or so after, I would run my index finger over the flat ring-part of the passives (contact point) to make sure they adhered fully. Worked fine - nothing fancy.

IP Logged
ziggy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/15/05 at 02:37:01

Boy, I just saw this, sorry Corey.

I pretty much do it as Brad does. But I find I only have to push the two glues together once and let it dry.

Falconer, did you take any pictures of your method. It sounds like a good/ better way to go.

Bob Z.

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/15/05 at 06:13:26

Thanks Ziggy and guys.

Smiley

IP Logged
Falconer
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/17/05 at 12:37:50

Hey Ziggy, I'll take a picture of the set up I used to glue the passives in. Give me a day or two.

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/17/05 at 17:35:09

corey,

did you get the gelled drivers as well?

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/18/05 at 04:53:25

Johnny,

I am going to send my drivers in to get gel waxed either the end of this week or the start of next week.

Corey

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/18/05 at 21:54:06

Hmm, I wonder if you're the first?  I haven't seen anyone here yet yell about their gell Cheesy

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/20/05 at 04:28:58

I don't know if I will be first, perhaps the first to blab about it.  ;)

I can't believe I was actually not even going to do it before. It finally occured to me that this is the actual catalyst to the entire Alternate Tuning.

Deckert:

"The gel waxed modified drivers will however take advantage of the mods to a far greater extent."

Corey

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/20/05 at 17:34:30

Yeah, it makes sense to me. I'm just being lazy and don't want to desolder my driver to send it in (and not have something to listen to for a while!).  Let us know what your turnaround time is for the driver.

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/21/05 at 02:08:52

Brad,

Does your HDT's have the phase plug bonded to the pole piece? If so, did you have problems wrapping the felt around the socket?

Corey

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/21/05 at 21:12:37

yes bonded. and yeah, it's a little tricky to get it in there.

IP Logged
zinker
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 10/21/05 at 22:10:13

Brad,
I am assuming that you sold your other pair of modified 206s. I had been hoping that you were going to spring for having the spare set gelled and give us a report on the difference.
I  ordered the new passives after reading about your experience with upgrading to the Alt tuning and since you seem to be more adventurous than most with mods to the HDTs I intended to follow your lead. How's that for pressure? Kiss

OK Corey, all ears are awaiting your report!

Anyway, I am off to pick up the bottle of weldbond that I hunted down locally. Anyone still looking for it can order it online from Dick Blick (an art supply store).
Happy Modding!
John

IP Logged
ziggy
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 10/21/05 at 22:13:31

John,

Your passives are on the way, put them in the UPS drivers hands myself.

Don't forgt about the rest of the mods that goes along with the passives.

Mod away
    Bob Z.

IP Logged
Hrappur
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 10/21/05 at 22:18:55

Ziggy is it posible just to buy the new pasives with out the other stuff? I already have the foam in place and the longer ports.

IP Logged
ziggy
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 10/21/05 at 22:47:40

Hrappur,

Yes it is, they cost $54.00 plus shipping.

Bob Z.

IP Logged
Hrappur
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 10/21/05 at 22:55:51

Thanks Ziggy, think Iīll have to order some, canīt stand hearing about them much longer and having to wonder how they sound Wink

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 10/21/05 at 23:56:49

[quote author=zinker  link=1129235225/15#15 date=1129929013]Brad,
I am assuming that you sold your other pair of modified 206s. I had been hoping that you were going to spring for having the spare set gelled and give us a report on the difference.
I  ordered the new passives after reading about your experience with upgrading to the Alt tuning and since you seem to be more adventurous than most with mods to the HDTs I intended to follow your lead. How's that for pressure? Kiss

OK Corey, all ears are awaiting your report!

Anyway, I am off to pick up the bottle of weldbond that I hunted down locally. Anyone still looking for it can order it online from Dick Blick (an art supply store).
Happy Modding!
John [/quote]

I still have the extra set of drivers. Yes, I'll likely hang on to them for use when (if I ever get around to it Smiley ) getting my drivers gelled.  Also, I have a pair of back-horn cabinets (design/pic given below) that are all cut out but not put together that I'll probably eventually put them in and sell (as I didn't realize it before cutting all the wood that these cabinets are too big for my room!).

http://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/view.mpl?UserImages=21168

IP Logged
zinker
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 10/22/05 at 04:27:14

Thanks Bob!
I plan to use some rope caulk to hold the new passives in place temporarily so I can still make adjustments to the inside if need be.
I just installed the port extensions. I had to remove the extra bracing below the speaker and passive holes to get them in, but everything worked out fine.
I had installed the foam durring the construction. I used the 1-1/2" black acoustic foam that Parts Expess sells instead of the 1" thick mattress pad foam that Steve suggested. Do you think this will affect the sound? Also, do I need any additional materials inside such as felt or stuffing?

John

IP Logged
ziggy
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 10/26/05 at 00:45:47

John,

Just the foam, there 6 pieces in each cabinet. I don't think the different type of foam would make that big of difference.

BobZ.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print