Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 19:59:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Has anyone built a 12" WO32 (Read 19333 times)
gexter
Ex Member

Has anyone built a 12" WO32
10/13/05 at 04:07:04

Subject says it all.

Got pretty much the go ahead from the boss for a  WO32. I know that 12' mods were discusssed at one time, and I am wondering if anyone went out on a limb to try it. If anyone would go out and possibly ruin a perfectly good sub by modifiying it. I would find them here.

I just have to build a WO32 because I haven't yet.

I am not playing around with this one. no cutting corners or hacks on this build.

While I am here I want to try the bash 300 watt from PE anyone have any comments on it?

thanks, Gex

P.S. 60  If you are so inclined to e mail me direct any tips or tricks feel free.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Re: Has anyone built a 12" WO32
Reply #1 - 10/14/05 at 15:42:19

I built a WO24, was going for a 12" driver version, till we noticed space limitations. Now going for a completely different design to fit 2 12's in a space that is 28" x 28" x 14.5" (don't forget material thickness 3/4").

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/16/05 at 15:10:44

[quote author=gexter  link=1129176424/0#0 date=1129172824]Subject says it all.

Got pretty much the go ahead from the boss for a  WO32. I know that 12' mods were discusssed at one time, and I am wondering if anyone went out on a limb to try it. If anyone would go out and possibly ruin a perfectly good sub by modifiying it. I would find them here.

I just have to build a WO32 because I haven't yet.

I am not playing around with this one. no cutting corners or hacks on this build.

While I am here I want to try the bash 300 watt from PE anyone have any comments on it?

thanks, Gex

P.S. 60  If you are so inclined to e mail me direct any tips or tricks feel free. [/quote]

build it with 10s use a driver that has a qts of about .34, low x max, paper cone, mark your bottom pannel with all the other pannels before you start.dont modd it at all- build it exactly like steve desighned it. if you build it for 12s and it sounds mediocre then you wasted your time and you wont know what it can do?

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/17/05 at 19:23:45

60! your right.
Why mess with a proven design. make more sense to build it the way it was supossed to be.
I am a little tired of modding anyway. I had the thought of making the WO32 exact and will stay with that.
I am waiting on the plans at the moment and not in a real hurry.

Thanks for your input.

Gex

EDIT: took that comment about common sense out, it did not come off right.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/17/05 at 20:18:45

[quote author=gexter  link=1129176424/0#3 date=1129573425]60! your right.
Why mess with a proven design. make more sense to build it the way it was supossed to be.
I am a little tired of modding anyway. I had the thought of making the WO32 exact and will stay with that.
I am waiting on the plans at the moment and not in a real hurry.

Thanks for your input.

Gex

EDIT: took that comment about common sense out, it did not come off right.
[/quote]

lots of good imfo re the 32 in the wo32 forum, while your waiting for the plans to arrive read them.you wont know you dont have 12s in it when yur done, it plays so low and so loud and so accurate you wont believe it! i have a lid on mine, not useing the carpet as a 'varovent'?? but sealed it with a lid and gasket, apparently this effects the way it performs a little.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/24/05 at 02:28:16

60 is your gasket a rubber gasket or just closed foam.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/24/05 at 03:42:01

you could always build a wo32 for 2 12s and if it sucks, cut everythign down, waste a little time if it sux, but gain the knowledge and the if it is good, you are the man now dog.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/24/05 at 06:05:53

hey J_Rock!
I have abandoned the 12" WO32 in favour of the standard WO32.
Yes I know its hard to believe I am parking my creative side.
I want this to be perfect and the way it is intended because the high praise it gets just as it is.
It has to be perfect and you don't get that first time out with a mod very often.
I will however use a driver that dips below 30Hz, 25 would be nice
I am not going to worry about the xmax because the WO32 is rumoured to have excellant dampening on the driver, so I could go higher but 10mm at the most.
the Qts that seems to be the focus will be well under .40 maybe as low as .20
It seems I have my work cut out for me in preparing for the build. it seemed so simple on the surface.
Finding the characteristics I want in a driver may be the biggest challenge.
I may be reviving old threads and waking up the old timers over the next month or two. then again I might throw a peerless XLS in  it and be done.  :)
I am not in a hurry I have alot of cans and bottles to collect  ;)
So it will be awhile.
Sorry to get your hopes up  :'(

Gex

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/24/05 at 15:07:26

[quote author=gexter  link=1129176424/0#5 date=1130117296]60 is your gasket a rubber gasket or just closed foam. [/quote]

weather strip from a hardware store?
too much x max is not good i read somewhere, and the qts is best about .35 i think.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/27/05 at 04:40:00

[quote author=60ndown  link=1129176424/0#9 date=1130162846]

weather strip from a hardware store?
too much x max is not good i read somewhere, and the qts is best about .35 i think. [/quote]

I think your right! And I think that the WO32 will dampen the xmax unless it is well over 10mm but just a think and not a for sure is not worth the cost. So I will go with your "I think" because it is a better plan than my "I think"

Gex ink

IP Logged
bnew63
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/27/05 at 19:06:34

I talked to Steve some months back while I was building an Imperial sub and he confirmed that x-max is highly over rated for any horn design.I've used Emenence drivers a lot with very little x-max(4mm),I was a little nervous at first but once up and running they all produced amazing BASS

IP Logged
Resonant
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/26/05 at 23:02:55

Hi, i had 2 12" speakers at home so i'v started to make WO32, but i didn't whant to mess a lot with the original size so  insted of scaling to 1.2 its more a less 1.125(more a less 90cm wide, just enought to fit in my jeep 8)). The drivers have a Qts of .30 , Fs 23Hz , Vas 165. Please don't tell me i'm wasting my time, and if I am could anyone help me with this?
Excuse my speling or any ignorance, I'm 18 living in portugal and just starting in DIY speaker projects

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/27/05 at 00:23:28

[quote author=Resonant  link=1129176424/0#12 date=1133046175]Hi, i had 2 12" speakers at home so i'v started to make WO32, but i didn't whant to mess a lot with the original size so  insted of scaling to 1.2 its more a less 1.125(more a less 90cm wide, just enought to fit in my jeep 8)). The drivers have a Qts of .30 , Fs 23Hz , Vas 165. Please don't tell me i'm wasting my time, and if I am could anyone help me with this?
Excuse my speling or any ignorance, I'm 18 living in portugal and just starting in DIY speaker projects [/quote]

the 32 is desighned for home use, try it in your car, if it doesnt work use it at home and build a wo.you are not wasteing your time when you build decware desighns

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/27/05 at 05:29:20

It might be worth mentioning that I had talked to Steve for a minute or two awhile back on a 12" WO32, He felt if I wanted to use 12"s just go to a WO instead of the WO 32. We were talking about HT at the time to put it into context.

The WO32 for a car is not recommended. I myself would not even bother with a WO 32 in a car.

IP Logged
Resonant
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 11/27/05 at 10:51:03

yes, it is for home use.I was planing on puting it in my jeep just for the fun of it from time to time hehe. Does it go better in a corner or center of the room? the room's almos perfect rectangle.
Unfortanetly I wasn't able to get the plans(no money, no help, on my own on this one) ,so i'v don a lot of assuming on this thing ??? starting with WO as reference.I'v built a few boxes before(sealed, vented and bandpass)so now I just had to go for a horn desing, but don't know enything about it.Has anybody got any tips on anything that i'm missing?
Just another DIYer looking for help...

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 11/27/05 at 18:17:38

The WO and the WO32 are not true horns if all the stuff I have been going through lately is true. The WO32 is a tapered pipe that you could call a horn.
I have been spending alot of time just reading lately instead of creating and building.

There are so many free great designs like the WO. Why look at the WO32? its a presision piece that has a specific purpose not unlike the soon to come Imp SO.

They are not just plain subs. If you have not built a WO, I encourage you to do so with no mods at first. It is such a versatile box and it has the unique feature is that it shares a horn throat like the 32.

If you still want to build the WO32 then wait until you can get the plans. It took me about three months to drag the funds out of my house fund. Now I am waiting for more coin to build it to near flawlessness.
I had to put money and time into other areas of late, So I wait, research and design.

If I was building a ( kickin) sub and had the room it would be based on Steves Imperial the non SO. without the room for an Imp I would go with a WO. I feel it is more accurate and flexible than the  HWK or DB.

INMHO that is

Others have other opinions
But I know what I like and not really concerned about other opinions when I have developed a specific taste in sound over the last while.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 11/27/05 at 18:28:33

i also thought the h.w.would be kinda big ouput small sq box,  i was wrong. Grin  its a huge output great sq box. Wink

IP Logged
Resonant
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 11/27/05 at 20:54:17

Thanks for the advice everyone! Smiley
maibe thats just what i'l do, built a WO for now, and wait for the plans to make the perfect WO32.Unfortonatly the wood is green, it was the las piece of 20mm MDF in the store.Well at least its water resistent SmileyI'v built most the box already, just need to put the last piece where the speaker goes.How much volume should the open encloser have??
Can't wait to hear what decware's all about Cheesy Should have this built by tuesday
This forum rules!!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print