Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 19:35:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
12" radio shacks found, oh what to do? (Read 1653 times)
gexter
Ex Member

12" radio shacks found, oh what to do?
10/09/05 at 04:34:19

I found 2 Radio shack 12' 100 watt P/N 40-1023B 8 Ohm speakers that I thought I threw out awhile ago because I thought they were junk. well I repaired them today cleaned off the mouse excrement and they work. Yes I know they are still junk, however they are useable for a project sub.

I was thinking about the HWK right off. what say you creators and modders.

Gex

IP Logged
stvcmty
Ex Member

Re: 12" radio shacks found, oh what to do?
Reply #1 - 10/09/05 at 06:21:32

Build the box to the HW15 dimensions.  It will give you lower tunings, and if the RS speakers sound like junk, you can load some good speakers into the right size box.
The HW15 is easy to cut from 2 full sheets of plywood, its dimensions lay out well.

Stv

IP Logged
HB Bass
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/13/05 at 19:06:09

Don't know the dimensions of your listening room but mine is pretty large and my 10" HWK completely fills it and shook one of my wife's ceramic birdie things off a shelf and you know what she did to me?

Undecided Undecided Undecided

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/13/05 at 21:08:29

HB,

I live in fear of the day one of my wife's treasured paintings her mother did on both sides of a GLASS (!) pane for 3-dimentionality succombs to the pressures of my, occassionally loud, listening practices. I just hope we're watching a kid movie when it happens. Smiley

Gex,

I think stv has a great idea for you. I saw a pic of someone with a side removable instead of the ends. That's a pretty good idea, too. Maybe build it with a center chamber insert that would be removable?

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/13/05 at 21:50:03

I agree with stv Gex...

build the HWK15, put the 12s in it and see. if you dont like it you can always fix it later.

get some old couch cushions from the sally ann to put on top of the thing, and tell the boss its a new seat for the entry LOL.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/15/05 at 06:20:49

thanks guys after myWO32 build  a RS 12" 15HWK it will be!
thinking of the attic believe it or not

60 was joking about his HWK in the garage, I thought that was a great idea. Or were you joking?

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/15/05 at 11:12:18

[quote author=gexter  link=1128832459/0#5 date=1129353649]60 was joking about his HWK in the garage, I thought that was a great idea. Or were you joking?
[/quote]

I had the impression that the status of the HWK was being negotiated by a commitee of WAF objections and things weren't looking good for the boy's toys. Smiley

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/27/05 at 15:09:38

my wife is amazing, if i really wanted the hwk in the house i could negotiate it, but the wo32 is all i need for now. the hwk is waiting in the garage for a new home?

and i would consider clamshelling the 2 rs  drivers in a 12"death box?

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/28/05 at 02:30:11

Really? ???
Hmm what makes you say that?
they are 12" floppy poly speakers with very loose foam surrounds.

I gotta know why.

Gex

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/28/05 at 14:41:27

ten inch DB is pretty awesome, however the 12 inch DB truely transforms crappy 12s.  As a youngin' still, I have many friends that have seen the light and moved beyond high power ratings and into good design. In their wake they leave me many a fallen subwoofer.  So I enjoy taking these worn out bad sounding woofers, and seeing if they can be made to sound, well, better.

The DB12 is capable of creating bass beasts out of every 12 I have ever put into it, however the crappiest require clamshelling.  So, I would not worry abotu clamshelling crappy drivers in a DB12, it will help them out a ton!

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/28/05 at 15:03:06

its like j rock said, clamshelling helps with cheaper drivers, also the db2 is way smaller than a hw and can be used in many different applications, the hw is also desighned for 15s and those that have built it with 12s have not been overwhelmed with the perfomance?

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/28/05 at 17:04:19

thanks guys

clamshelling and the smallish sealed area would provide much greater control over the drivers.

This drivers has been in at least 5 enclosures over the years and are pretty flexible. but some where better than others.

I am not a huge fan of the DB and never thought of using the clamshelling design of the DB 12"

Gex

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/28/05 at 22:28:13

Not so much of a fan of the 12 in DB as the ten, but still a fan here.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/29/05 at 04:07:45

[quote author=J_Rock  link=1128832459/0#12 date=1130534893]Not so much of a fan of the 12 in DB as the ten, but still a fan here. [/quote]

I am confused now or it could be my migrane but you said that the DB transforms a crappy 12 before, but your also saying that you like the 10 better.
So why waste my clamshell 12" in a DB if a single 10' sounds better.

Do you think that 4 tylenol threes  with 2 gravols and 500mg of ibuprophen is two much in a hour? uuuuh uhh sorry wrong forum!
I can't find my bunny can you help me find my bunny?

Gerx

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/29/05 at 18:53:35

i agree with j_rock that the db-12 works well when loaded with cheapies. i really don't know about clamshelling in any of the dbs. i'll try it after i change my amp.
but i also know my db-10 (loaded with a cheapie) is louder (and maybe has better sq ? ) then my db-12 any day. i never heard them loaded with propper drivers, so who am i to know ?
i like small enclosures, because the bigger it is the heavier it is to move and find a suitable/good sounding place.
try the rs with a hwk15 and if you dont like it you can always cut the panels smaller to build a db-12 or store the hw and load it int the future with something good. but i don't know what you should do if you don't like the db-12 with rs because you can't add back the material you cut.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 10/29/05 at 22:37:03

good logic Adrian and very true. my kinda logic!  you have no Idea on how much stuff I have cut down. Another good point I never thought of.
However to me the DB is great for a small enclosure for a car but I prefer the WO. I have built the 10 and 12 DB and a clamshell 8 DB
the 10 and 12 are cheapies and the 8"s were decent. The DB's are loud and hard hitting for there size. I built a 10" for my son that is getting an infinifty when he wants it changed. My 12 was trashed and turned into my SO concept and its huge and not as loud or rather does not sound as loud. But the type of bass is much more to my likeing. It is just a sealed enclosure feeding the horn like the WO32 but a whole lot bigger horn, longer and thicker and 3 times as wide gives you an idea. I have a guy that wants me to built four DB12's for his van. He likes them better than the WO. So we each have our tastes.
If I could I would drop the floor out of my suburban over the gas tank, put the smaller tank in and reweld the floor 4- 5" lower and put a 10" WO in. But I don't think my wife will allow it. I thought I might get away with it when I weld in new rear quarters and lower rockers this spring  :)
Smiley
If you guys think that a 10 has better SQ and SPL than a 12 or a clamshell 12 then I think the 12"DB is a waste of time. I could pick up a cheap 10 or a infinity for cost and not bother with my 12's.
Your agreement of a 15 HWK is seems to be the best choice. I bought all this fiberglass for the Imperial I never used and might use it on a multilayer corragated fiberglassed HWK.

Thanks all of you for your input and ideas that never crossed my mind. But all I care about is getting my plans for my WO32 and building it and installing in my Family room in the wall. And work on my long term sound  goals, like the HDT's and a tube amp.

I just got sidtracked with the find and being my normal scattered self. I just have to play.

Gex

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 10/30/05 at 05:42:44

Quote:
If you guys think that a 10 has better SQ and SPL than a 12 or a clamshell 12 then I think the 12"DB is a waste of time. I could pick up a cheap 10 or a infinity for cost and not bother with my 12's.

i thought of that only from my experiences, which i have to state again that consist only with cheap subs, which i haven't clamshelled (yet).
the db-12 certainly looks brilliant with that k-slot. i have mine with a beech finishing. the edges of the particle board and the visible part of the insert have cherry finishing.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 10/31/05 at 01:13:06

lets kill this thing.

without specifications its just a guess in what enclosure they belong. And the Imp is out because of size.

I still don't know what I am going to do with them. but thanks for the ideas and input all.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 10/31/05 at 14:39:34

No killing of informative threads sir!

The reasonign behind my DB 10 over DB 12 stance is the fact that my single DB 10 has bested anything I have put into my DB12.  But the DB 12 is still amazingly good at transforming crappy 12s into good sounding 12s.

My WO still owns them all for output and speed but the cost is size.  

I would suggest a 12 inch WO, except build it with a slanted top so the throat exit is the same size as a ten inch WO, yet you get a larger horn/rubber throat and increased sealed chamber size for the larger 12s.  That would be a very fun challenging build, and could benefit you. SInce the 12 inch WO is good, the smaller throat might increase the compression and load your 12s higher.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 10/31/05 at 15:25:06

Allright, in that case.
I am rethinking.
I am going to put it on hold because of  all the differant thoughts.
I may even get a speaker tester if I can earn some extra coin.

I think DD was going to put 12" in his and keep the throat exit the same size. I don't recall if he did do it that way.
The most common way to put 12" in the WO is add two inches.

So do you think that keeping the throat size the same will be better or you know.

I understand your logic because " I think it will provide better control and volocity" however the WO being long but small horn to begin with I see the height as an advantage. If I add to much size to the sealed area I may get the typical boom, even
though I am providing the control in the "horn".

Has anyone tried this and it worked better?......

The horn will produce what it is tuned to. the more punch you can kick out of the sealed/ported area will create more SPL in the horn, but being somewhat of a true horn the Freq is not as flexible. That may be an assumption on my part Undecided
The woofer should be tuned to the horn in an ideal world or vise versa. The woofer can be a little higher in Fs but not to far because the horn will kill it to a degree.

when people put smaller drivers in the WO and downsize it they are in effect tuning the horn closer to the smaller woofer. creating a healthy little punch at a higher freq.

Where the space is not as critical and you can fit more than a DB but a IMP can't fit the WO does provide more contol and SQ than the HWK. so its a good idea.

I watched alot of talk about the enlarged sealed chamber but have not received any feeback or missed it.

anyway its all just thought and talk until someone builds it and proves it.

your truly, The Gex

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 10/31/05 at 22:33:38

someone did the whole 12 inch WO with 10 inch throat. No clue who though...

I think it will help increase the amount of punch as you say, and thats just what I like.

IP Logged
Hellion
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 12/28/05 at 02:22:04

I had the same speaker once, blew the foam surrounds, and riped the papers, somehow the motor was okay, so I made pair of fibreglass cones and had fun listening to the wierdest speakers you could ever imagine.  It was actually pretty cool if you didn't mind a strange distortion some where around 100HZ. It was actually pretty cool when I was 15, and the bass drum on most of my cd's sounded like a shotgun.  I think it would be plain annoying now to me.

probably if I were to try it again I could get much better results than with a plastic bowl, some aluminum foil, and blown junk speakers.  I tried it with a punch 15, and it sounded great. course I vacuum bagged it that time, and did about 9 layers.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print