03/28/24 at 21:08:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Built In (Read 6675 times)
pargon
Ex Member

Built In
10/05/05 at 12:30:56

The comment was made on another thread that "the Imperial was designed to be built in." I live in Mexico and while wood is available we have some master brick and stone masons who can do amazing things. If we can construct the Imperial as a built in fixture made of block and cement would it be effective? Of course this would once and for all resolve the issue of portability, but other than that? Maybe a combination of wood (front baffle for speaker access), and masonry. What you think Steve? Are there any pictures of anyone elses' attempts at this? Thanks

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Re: Built In
Reply #1 - 10/05/05 at 17:16:24

It is possible to make a horn from brick and stone, but I wouldn't want to try to make an Imperial, or any other type of folded horn.  With these materials you are looking at a slightly bigger project with a real horn, not folded.  Steve made one in his basement, somewhere on Decware.com, the other I have seen is here.

http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm

It's a really big page, you have to scroll down for the good stuff.

Of course you don't have to build this big, but the shape of the horn is much more reasonable considering your choice of material.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/05/05 at 18:55:03

The Standard Imperial is intended to be built in.
I suppose the bottom back and top could be brick. The front or part of it would have to be  wood to mount the speaker/speakers
if it was brick you would have to stucco it to a smooth surface.
I wonder how much it will take before the vibration gets to the morter or the stucco coating. The sides top and bottom and back would have support so they should stand up to the vibration.
I don't how the internal horn would stand up unless it had steel at the transition points.
I am not a brick layer. but like the link above it is possible in specific configerations.
I think it would work okay if you laid it down on its side, instead of standing.

Anyway that is only my thought on the whole thing
Don't know if its a good thought of not but thats how I would look at it

Gex

IP Logged
pargon
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/05/05 at 20:22:47

Thanks for the ideas. I have seen that monstrous project before, and while I think that I can pass the Imps through the WAF lense, tearing out the floor is probably beyond my powers of persuasion. The "hanging" section of the horn, below the speaker compartment is the rub. I think that the hybrid idea, ie. masonry back, top, maybe sides, and floor is a keeper and the rest perhaps of wood. I'm not ready for cardboard yet. Thanks again.

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/05/05 at 21:03:21

I supplied the link only to show the shape of the horn, and that it could be done.  To clarify things a bit, I wasn't suggesting you tear out your floor.  What I meant was this - there is absolutely no way you can build the inside of the imperial with brick or stone.  As suggested above, the top, bottom, sides and back could be stone or brick, but that's it.  You cannot use these materials inside the box and still have an imperial.  

Then you have the issue of fastening the wood pieces to the stone.

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/05/05 at 21:12:17

If you are going to start with exotic materials, why not make something special?  The imperial is only the shape it is because of the characteristics of the materials it was meant to be made from.  

Aside from that, brick has some interesting characteristics of its own.  It would probably end up being a whole lot louder than wood but may affect sound quality.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print