03/28/24 at 10:07:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Audio Nirvana's (Read 1905 times)
Corey
Ex Member

Audio Nirvana's
09/22/05 at 15:18:21

Anybody else try these with there HDT cabinets?

I have had much time to think about the PM6A Lowther and it just seems like to much of a gamble.

After reading what Steve wrote:

We don't want to employ the "alternate tuning tweak" into production on the HDT's because it's simply a tweak and it eliminates the option of using different 8 inch full range drivers, like the lowthers, audio nirvana's and so on.

I am inclined to try the Audio Nirvana's while my one HDT cabinet is still stock. One cabinet will be the HDT FE206E alt. tuned and the other will be stock with the Audio Nirvana's. At $118 dollars a pair this seems like a no brainer or at least something to try in the interest of others as well.

Corey

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Re: Audio Nirvana's
Reply #1 - 09/22/05 at 17:24:15

Not a bad idea to try these drivers. They're cheap enough and spec's are very close to the FE206E driver.

I have serious doubts about that quote from Steve.  The original design and tuning for this cabinet was for drivers very similar to what the MK-II has in them, which are very different from the FE206E and the Nirvana's.  Now if the alternate tuning made the FE206E sound better, it's logical to assume it would also make a driver with similar (almost identicle) spec's sound better.

I may have to follow your lead here Corey, and try the Nirvana's out in my (alternate tuned) HDT's.

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/22/05 at 18:37:16

Corey, btw, while you're in there mucking with things. I recommend putting a piece of deflex behind the driver.  It's awesome material for removing cabinet reflections (ie, back into the cone). You can get a piece of it from Madisound for $11 big enough probably for two speakers.

IP Logged
Mike W
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/22/05 at 20:29:36

Maybe some help...I bought a pair of the 6.5 inch Audio Nirvana's. They are breaking in mounted in open baffles in my workshop and are starting to sound quite nice. I know you need the 8 inch variety so just an FYI about Audio Nirvana in general.

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/23/05 at 03:15:00

Brad,

Thanks for the idea.

Mike,

Smiley

Corey

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/23/05 at 03:17:43

Brad,

I am going to be keeping one slut stock for a while and comparing the drivers i.e.:

FE206E alt. tuned vs. FE206E stock

Nirvana alt. tuned vs. FE206E stock

FE206E alt. tuned vs. Nirvana stock

Nirvana alt. tuned vs. Nirvana stock

Which ever one I like best I keep. Steve seems to be on to something when he designs speakers using only one. I have found things to be very simple this way and the ability to disappear is either yes or no. It is very black and white in mono.

Corey

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/23/05 at 08:18:06

Just be sure to give both drivers (and passives) enough time to fully break in before passing judgement.  In any event I'm sure the outcome will also be affected by your associated equipment, not to mention your tastes.  I'm sure I'm stating the obvious here.  ;D

IP Logged
zinker
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/23/05 at 17:25:54

Brad, Exactly where would you mount the Deflex panels? The walls behind the drivers are mostly cut out with those serrated ovals.
Just wondering because I've wanted to break up those reflections and the fiber fill I use seems to deaden the bass output too much.
Thanks,
John

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/23/05 at 21:36:34

I was thinking in the "V" section right behind the driver between the oval cutouts. Yes, its a fairly small area, but very close to the driver. Also putting deflex on the back of the driver magnet might help a little if you have extra deflex.

It could be none of this makes any audible difference. But me thinks the experiment is worth the measly $11

Then again that's a 12 pack of cheap beer. You make the call. Wink

IP Logged
Mike W
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/23/05 at 22:12:47

easy for me....don't like beer

IP Logged
zinker
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/23/05 at 22:27:09

Thanks Brad. I am not afraid to buy the Deflex AND the beer.I consider the beer as a neccessay material cost.  ;)

You're cutouts seem smaller than mine. If it isn't too much bother could you measure the oval for me to compare. From furthest points would probably be the clearest way to describe the scalloped oval.Perhaps I drilled the holes for the scallops to the outside of the template instead of the inside .???
Anybody else have this measurement handy?

thanks,
John

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/24/05 at 01:01:42

Actually this is a picture that Corey posted of his HDT's not mine.  If I remember next time I have mine open, I'll measure. But Ziggy could answer that.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #12 - 09/24/05 at 02:39:56

[quote author=brad  link=1127402301/0#1 date=1127406255]

I have serious doubts about that quote from Steve.  The original design and tuning for this cabinet was for drivers very similar to what the MK-II has in them, which are very different from the FE206E and the Nirvana's.  Now if the alternate tuning made the FE206E sound better, it's logical to assume it would also make a driver with similar (almost identicle) spec's sound better.

I may have to follow your lead here Corey, and try the Nirvana's out in my (alternate tuned) HDT's. [/quote]

The alternate tuning tweak on the HDT's lowered the port frequencies to take advantage of the higher mass of a gelwaxed FE206EM driver.  The original HDT tuning is FAR closer to the original 1980's design that was a 2-way.  And the original HDT tuning is perfect for the driver that will be used in the MK II's coming out this fall.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/24/05 at 04:23:05

From outside hole to hole on mine is approx. 5 and 7/8 inches.

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 09/24/05 at 04:30:40

Brad,

It seems Deckert is giving us the hint hint of getting our drivers gel waxed if we want to use the alt. tuning.

Considering that it is supposed to open up the midrange and give more bass it seems almost like a no brainer to have it done. Did you have any reasons why you were not getting yours waxed?

Corey

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 09/24/05 at 09:10:11

I've seriously thought about "getting gelled" and may still do so. It's just I heard a definite improvement in the sound with the alternate tuning even with the un-gelled drivers.  I'm a little afraid of screwing up the sound with a mod that is not reversible, that is without getting a new pair of drivers which is not cheap.  On the other hand I'm VERY curious how they sound given Steve says they sound better.

Here's one quick tweak you can easily try if you have the alternate tuning in place and want to see at least what the added driver mass makes to the sound.  Stick 2" strips of electrical tape onto the driver in four places - at 12, 3, 6, and 9 O'clock. Don't worry, the electrical tape comes off without messing up the driver cone.  The tape strips should go out radially from the cone center to the outer edge like the hands of a clock.  I don't know how much mass the gel wax adds, but it's probably more than 4 strips of tape - so you can add more mass by making the four strips 3 or 4 layers of tape each before applying them to the cone.

Now, I'm sure this will not sound exactly like the gel-wax, especially since it probably won't effect the midrange much. But it may change the bass sound, and might mellow out the high end a bit.  I'm not sure, as I haven't had the time yet to play with this.

By the way, regarding the Deflex material... partsconnexion has many more shapes, sizes, and prices on it than does Madisound.

IP Logged
zinker
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 09/27/05 at 17:49:57

Thanks for the measurement Corey. Smiley I checked the template that came with my HDT kit and it shows closer to 7 3/4" vertically from hole edge to hole edge and 4 3/4" horizontally.

Now I am really scratching my head ???
Could this explain my lack of bass.

Ziggy? Steve? Beuller?

If my cut outs are too big, what about the possibillity of cutting some 1/4" masonite panels with the proper size cutouts and mounting them to the inside divider panels? I could  make them in 2 pieces to allow me to fit them thru the driver hole.  After I test them I could glue them well so they don't rattle.
What do you guys think?

John

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 09/27/05 at 19:54:34

I don't think this small difference in hole size is going to change things much but Ziggy should confirm.

IP Logged
Mike W
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 11/02/05 at 13:27:48

[quote author=Corey  link=1127402301/0#5 date=1127441863]Brad,

I am going to be keeping one slut stock for a while and comparing the drivers i.e.:

FE206E alt. tuned vs. FE206E stock

Nirvana alt. tuned vs. FE206E stock

FE206E alt. tuned vs. Nirvana stock

Nirvana alt. tuned vs. Nirvana stock

Which ever one I like best I keep. Steve seems to be on to something when he designs speakers using only one. I have found things to be very simple this way and the ability to disappear is either yes or no. It is very black and white in mono.

Corey [/quote]

Corey....have you finsihed this eval yet????? or did I just overlook it.
Very interested in your findings.
Regards,
Mike

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 11/02/05 at 16:08:02

Mike,

After Decfest I learned that Steve modded the driver with a phase plug so their would be more involved than just getting a $118 driver shipped to me and ready to go.

I did compare the standard tuning to the alternate tuning and the standard tuning is not even in the same league as far a congestion goes. Although the improved bass is a bonus it is the mids and highs that grab your attention with this mod. The seperation of information is much better.

Take care,

Corey

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 11/02/05 at 17:07:05

[quote author=Corey  link=1127402301/15#19 date=1130947682]Mike,

After Decfest I learned that Steve modded the driver with a phase plug so their would be more involved than just getting a $118 driver shipped to me and ready to go.

I did compare the standard tuning to the alternate tuning and the standard tuning is not even in the same league as far a congestion goes. Although the improved bass is a bonus it is the mids and highs that grab your attention with this mod. The seperation of information is much better.

Take care,

Corey [/quote]

Yep. That's my read of the alternate tuning as well.  I would like to hear the gel-wax mod.

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 11/03/05 at 03:32:51

I will report on the gel drivers when I get my amp back.

Corey

IP Logged
brad
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 11/03/05 at 05:46:16

Corey, which amp, and what's he doin' to it? Curious.

IP Logged
crazy bill the eel killer
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 11/04/05 at 02:46:06

hey guys,
you've got me psyched to try the alternate tuning. I' m a little concerned about the gel wax though, as a mass increase equates to s sensitivity decrease, and I really don't want to lose any. Have you guys with the gel wax mods noticed an AUDIBLE decrease in sensitivity?

Thanks,                 Bill

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 11/04/05 at 03:50:05

SE34-I.

Just sweeten it up a tad. My choice of music demands it.

Corey

IP Logged
Hrappur
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 11/04/05 at 12:35:52

[quote author=crazy bill the eel killer  link=1127402301/15#23 date=1131072366]hey guys,
you've got me psyched to try the alternate tuning. I' m a little concerned about the gel wax though, as a mass increase equates to s sensitivity decrease, and I really don't want to lose any. Have you guys with the gel wax mods noticed an AUDIBLE decrease in sensitivity?

Thanks,                 Bill [/quote]
Well Steve sugests´a 1db loss in sensitivity

IP Logged
teepeeworks
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 01/03/06 at 23:03:46

Instead of getting my drivers gelled I am going to take a listen to the Audio Nirvana speakers now with the Alternate tuned kit.

Take care,

Corey

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print