Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 14:09:28 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Radials Have Landed (Read 8623 times)
Giorgino
Ex Member

Re: The Radials Have Landed
Reply #50 - 09/21/05 at 10:44:00

Oh Ziggy, the courier guys managed to make a gouge into the box. The grain you see through the hole is infact the veneer finish of the speakers. The RL3s arrived fine but holes might expose them to further water or cosmetic damage which may be worth considering for the future. Just a headsup:

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 09/21/05 at 14:01:59

In my youth I worked for a large music store and occasionally a Yamaha or Kawai piano would come in with a damaged crate and no problems, because the packaging was almost nuke ready. They were sealed and triple sealed against the effects of crossing the ocean and as long as the inner wrappings were not damaged they were fine. However, sometimes even a small hole in the side, if the inner layer was breached, would show immediately the damage from humidity, like swelling of the wood in a worst case or discoloration next to the hole. If none is present, you should be fine. I'm anxious to see what the experts might say.

IP Logged
Doorman
Ex Member

Reply #52 - 09/21/05 at 22:31:45

Georgino: Looking at your wall treatment, I'd say the sheep MUST be nervous! Smiley

IP Logged
Giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 09/22/05 at 00:12:53

Quote:
Georgino: Looking at your wall treatment, I'd say the sheep MUST be nervous!  

Yeah - they paid the ULTIMATE price for my musical pleasure

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #54 - 09/24/05 at 02:32:03

[quote author=Giorgino  link=1125423840/45#48 date=1127295560]Just a pic of the set-up:

(The Horns are there for size comparison) [/quote]

Please purchase a soft 6 x 8 foot rug or moving blanket or something similar and hang it 4 inches away from the front wall behind your speakers (and over that window).   At least steal the bed spread off your bed and hang it over the window tonight and report back what changed.  Make sure you post a picture of what you put up there for this "test".

Make sure whatever it is it goes from the curtain rod above the window all the way down to the floor.  Then while you're at it, pop one of those wool skins on your walls on the floor in front of each speaker at the reflection point between the speaker and listener.   Do this for one night and you'll thank me in the morning  :P

WWW   IP Logged
Giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #55 - 09/24/05 at 12:38:54

Hi Steve

Will do. Thanks for the tip. I had feared someone "in the know" was going to say something about the front wall window.  That would so screw with my domestic feng shui! Smiley

On that wall, I have a pull-down projection screen that goes down to where the wooden carving is and when in use, the sound is great. I could pull that down when listening. Also, I have a 7' x 5' rug, the edge of which you see at the bottom of the pic.

Are those viable compromises? I'll post a pic of the set up with all that in place.

IP Logged
Giorgino
Ex Member

Reply #56 - 09/25/05 at 01:52:53

Yep, tried it - it works... Cheesy

I moved out some furniture, pulled the projection screen down over the glass windows and movedthe rug to the middle of the room. There was a big time soundstage sensation. There are a number of other factors which I think contributed (eg, 2am listening at low level with lower overall acoustic noise floor and electrical noise floor) but the screen in front of the windows do work.

I guess the projection screen is not as effective as proper sound treatment of a think rug, but it will make a practical and convenient way to reduce the reflection issue. Many thanks Steve, for your keen observation. If there are other things I can work on, I'd welcome any input you may be able to provide.

George

IP Logged
tmarshl
Ex Member

Reply #57 - 11/21/05 at 19:40:01

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the great comments in this thread.

I just purchased a FirstWatt F1 Amplifier to drive my AKG K1000s, but after reading the comments here, am also considering a pair of Decware Radials (perhaps the 1.5s).

Tom

IP Logged
Gary_H.
Ex Member

Reply #58 - 11/21/05 at 20:20:11

Steve D. says: "Then while you're at it, pop one of those wool skins on your walls on the floor in front of each speaker at the reflection point between the speaker and listener."

Steve, or others,

With regard to the inital reflection point mentioned above; with the radials, how do you know where that point is? It seems it would be difficult to locate as the primary speaker points upward. Or, is it some degree point from the front facing driver based on some known driver dispersion pattern and height?

Thanks, Gary

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #59 - 11/21/05 at 20:28:22

WELCOME TOM!

IP Logged
generic
Ex Member

Reply #60 - 12/02/05 at 12:00:38

After three years of wanting a set of radials I have saved enough money to actually place my order.  Have also ordered a Select to power them.

Now I am in the process of reconstructing my 13x26x8 livingroom to attempt to replicate Steve's listening room.

When the new gear arrives my attention will be given to tuning the room with diffusers/bass traps and whatever else improves the audio experience.  It helps as there is no "committee" here to obtain approval for decorating changes from.

IP Logged
Mike W
Ex Member

Reply #61 - 12/02/05 at 12:34:08

[quote author=generic  link=1125423840/60#60 date=1133524838]After three years of wanting a set of radials I have saved enough money to actually place my order.  Have also ordered a Select to power them.

Now I am in the process of reconstructing my 13x26x8 livingroom to attempt to replicate Steve's listening room.

When the new gear arrives my attention will be given to tuning the room with diffusers/bass traps and whatever else improves the audio experience.  It helps as there is no "committee" here to obtain approval for decorating changes from. [/quote]

Most excellent!!! Keep us posted on your impressions. Pics would be real cool as well. Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #62 - 12/02/05 at 12:56:12

You're going to be a very happy man!   Grin

Did you order the RL3s?

IP Logged
generic
Ex Member

Reply #63 - 12/02/05 at 13:15:00

Yes sir, Lon.  The 1.5's would have been just fine but I thought that these might just be my last so I bit the bullit.

Now, if I just had a small portion of your soft ware collection............

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #64 - 12/02/05 at 13:52:21

Hmmmm. . . I don't recommend the debt that accompanies this software collection! Grin

I'm sure you'll enjoy them.  I've been tempted by the 1.5s. . .because I know how much I liked the 1s and how much I like the 2s and it combines features of both!

IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #65 - 12/02/05 at 16:01:04

Go for it Lon, you can always sell the 2's if your happy with the 1.5's.  Dave Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #66 - 12/02/05 at 16:06:15

Nah, can't go for it. . . . I'm not going to be able to afford to buy new speakers for some time to come.  Way overdid my audio budget the last few years!

And. . .my wife is going through really rough medical straits this winter into spring. . . . Going to have to hold onto all my cards.

IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #67 - 12/02/05 at 16:38:05

I hear ya on the budget Lon, Im hoping to get enough extra together by the time 2006 comes and go's to buy the Taboo and other audio items such as cables etc to go with it. Hope your wife gets better.  Dave Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #68 - 12/02/05 at 16:52:22

Thanks!  The Big C is a big scare!

IP Logged
Zygi
Ex Member

Reply #69 - 12/03/05 at 00:36:27

Generic,

Welcome to the RL-3 club.....what wood did you order?

Lon,

I wish you and Helen the best, my thoughts are with you two.

BobZ.

IP Logged
generic
Ex Member

Reply #70 - 12/03/05 at 01:04:45

Hey Bob,

I ordered Walnut.

DeVon said you had lots of orders on your plate so I expect a waiting period.

I sent you a PM.

IP Logged
Zygi
Ex Member

Reply #71 - 12/03/05 at 06:12:14

Yes I do have lots on my plate,  I was actually getting ready to start another run of 3's so when I saw this I just figured I'd add it to this production run.

One of these days I'm going to have to build myself a set of 3's I finally got tired of looking at the proto-types (ugly black. I mean butt ugly) and I keep adding a pair for myself every run, and there usually sold before I get them finished. Two runs ago I built myself a pair of Rosewood RL-3's figuring no one would ask for Rosewood, I didn't even get the veneer on them and someone IM'ed me with a picture taken at Randy's house of Steve's Rosewood RL-2's. So I move on to something else, may painted dark red metalic....that would be nice.

I guess its like the plumbers pipes and the mechanics cars.....

BobZ.

IP Logged
generic
Ex Member

Reply #72 - 12/03/05 at 11:14:00

Hey Bob,

With your list of toys, I have a hard time mustering any sympathy for a better looking RL3 in your room.

I would gladly exchange a small appendage to defer the cost for the burl veneer on my new speakers.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print